• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

moving from flexi to corel x7

Emil

Hey all,
I am thinking about switching from flexisign designer to corel draw x7, is this a good idea and can corel do everything flexi can. I deal primarily with tee shirts and heat transfer vinyl. I use raster to vector a great deal in flexi, how does corels raster to vector compare. thanks Emil

54warrior

I trained myself to use Corel Draw. First X3, then X5, and now I"m running X6. Looking forward to the new x8 version to upgrade soon I hope.

I use flexi simply to open flexi files, and import .eps files that were exported from Corel, so that they can be saved as Flexi files. That's it. I think Flexi is more user friendly than Illustrator, but Corel Draw is by far the easiest program of those three to learn. I've tried all 3, and Corel is tops in my book.

Corel does a decent job of converting bitmap's to vectors. I feel like the tool in Illustrator is best though.

Morph1

Print all
Agreed, corel is the MAC of vector design, Illustrator is a big over bloated and over rated / over priced piece of crap of all time...
I use all three fluently, but by far prefer corel draw although Flexi is very similar in workflow to corel draw and swapping between those 2 should be a breeze...
Corel all the way buddy...

Andy D

You won't regret it, I was kicking and screaming when I had to switch from Inspire to Corel Draw, but
now I can't imagine getting by without it.

ams

Once you go to Corel you will never go back. It is better in almost every single way. I've tried Flexi but will never use it again.
X7 is amazing, but I love X4.

DirtyD

i've used them both and much prefer Corel - Flexi is easy to use but so is Corel - when you click on a tool the Corel tool bar at the top changes for all the options similar to Flexi production box or whatever the hell it is called, but Corel is so powerful and can process raster images so much easier than flexi. Flexi would always lag for me, and if you bring in a PDF to Corel you don't have to unmask 50 layers of stuff like in Flexi.

You can send to most plotters straight from Corel using plotter specific plugin or a Macro..

WildWestDesigns

You can send to most plotters straight from Corel using plotter specific plugin or a Macro..

In some instances you don't even have to do that. As long as you have the driver for the cutter, you can treat it like a "printer" and just "print" straight out of your vector program. I know with my Rolands, I was able to do that with Ai, DRAW x5 and Inkscape.

The only downside is that it goes by layers, so you want to sequence everything how you want it to cut. Depending on how complicated the artwork is, that may or may not be a concern.

OldPaint

been doin computer signs/art since 1992. started with corel 3.0. i have had the opportunity to work in almpst every avilable SIGN SPECIFIC program...........AND DO ALL MY WORK IN COREL X3........have X7 but seem to like X3.
i have used FLEXI, INSPIRE, SIGN LAB, VINYL MASTER, WIN PLOT, CASMATE, LETTER ART, all are good the worse crap i ever seen was GERBER GA6!!!! really a program full of fail safes.
have played with illy, but after using corel...........illy just got to much other stuff to do to get corels results.

WildWestDesigns

have played with illy, but after using corel...........illy just got to much other stuff to do to get corels results.

Actions, actions, actions, that would have cut your time down significantly. It took me a long time to figure out those little boogers. But I digress.

Jackpine

Hey all,
I am thinking about switching from flexisign designer to corel draw x7, is this a good idea and can corel do everything flexi can. I deal primarily with tee shirts and heat transfer vinyl. I use raster to vector a great deal in flexi, how does corels raster to vector compare. thanks Emil

how does corels raster to vector compare? It is excellent. I use logo as my choice when I do a raster to vector.