• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mural?

paul luszcz

We've designed a sign for which we must build a "barn" door made of tongue and groove boards, on which we intend to paint a rooster and apply dimensional letters. It is shown in the attached illustration.

We've never painted anything this large and are looking for advice on how best to accomplish this.

What type of paint?
Pounce a pattern or use a mask?
Should the V-grooves in the boards be made especially small in order to simplify the painting?
Hire a muralist and if so, does anyone know someone willing to do this in Massachusetts?

We're excited to make this happen and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Attachments

• wall sign style 01 photo.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 296

TammieH

Acrylic Latex House Paint, as far as patterns old school paper or projection, or mark a grid and scale it out...all these work

Sidney

Tammie H is correct!! Definitely an exterior latex paint such as Behr or Benjamin Moore...and make sure you use a luster finish. If you use a flat paint it will stain very easily and if you use high gloss paint, it will take forever to cover (especially if you have any deep base colors). Please look at these examples....you will see I have plenty of experience and if you follow Tammie and my advice you will do just fine.
www.Sidneytheartist.com :)

Good luck!!

boxerbay

paint the board dark red then line them up and run them through a 120" flatbed printer to print the rooster and text on to the boards. then clear coat if needed.

Chuck Peterson

You don't need to hire a muralist for that. It looks like all solid colors. I like NovaColor but you would have to mix the colors. As others said a good quality acrylic latex. Either a pounce pattern or project it on with an overhead projector in the dark. You could do the rooster using a grid method and a pattern just for the letters.