• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutton 1638uh

AJB

On my Mutoh 1638uh,I am getting undefined media for every media I try. Has this happened to any one else?

NextDoorGraphics

Sorry I can't help with this, did you figure it out?
I'm considering purchasing this printer,
how do you like it so far? Any issues?

AJB

It was a defect they ended up sending out an engineer to repair it. Besides that it is pretty quick for a hybrid uv printer. But I highly recommend doing double cmyk, and not white and varnish. Rtf he white cuts the speed in half and a lot or white is wasted in Cleaning.

NextDoorGraphics

I was leaning toward the double CMYK, but definitely like the opportunities having the white channel opens up.
Are you happy overall with the printer and quality of the white printing? Would you purchase again?
Thanks for your help!

AJB

As I mentioned it wasted a lot of white nearly 200ML appeared to go through cleaning in the first month. Understand that once it is set in a configuration then normally will not let you change, it requires extensive cleaning and some parts replacement. So for me the extra cost and lose of speed was not worth it. (I do also have another printer that can do white). This is my second Mutoh product and overall I like them. I have only had it a month or so so it is hard to answer the would I by it again, it would really depend. I am a small shop so I need hybrid flexibility but if you have space and month to get two machines (one flat one roll) it is not the best option

NextDoorGraphics

Small here also, already have a ValueJet. Just getting old(personally) & tired of mounting vinyl!
We need to go direct to boards, time to make a decision. Thanks again!

AJB

Update I have recently had many customers who purchased coroplast signs from me come in with the signs falling apart. The coroplast signs from this print are not lasting more than a month. We us Coroplast brand, the mutoh ink and prep the material. Signs Warehouse and mutoh clearly stated that it was a material that worked with this machine. So because of this we are concerned about all the product that have come off this machine.

So between the month of repair need led to get the brand new machine running and the fact that the signs printed on it fall apart.

I would highly advise against spending 50 k plus on this printer.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Ouch! That's tough, coroplast should be a slam dunk for any UV flatbed as it's the go to product in our industry.

Do you have pics of the failures?

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I have yet to hear of the prints failing on the Mutoh UV so quickly.

You said you prep the boards, what do you prep it with. Also what print mode are you printing with?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

AJB

To answer the last two threads, we use inteplast and prep with 99% alcohol, Mutoh blamed it on the material so we immediately switched to Coroplast still with 99% alcohol and those signs can apart just as quick, I should note that the sign the rep printed on it the first day it was working that he prepped fell apart just as fast. We use Mutohs ink and name brand Coroplast with 99% prep the only variable left is the machine and as I mentioned above it has been nothing but problems. This is not our first UV print we also have a Xenons R180 E (a Chinese printer) we though an we would upgrade to what we believed was a better product and have had nothing but issues.
ImageDisplay

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
How long after you wipe the boards do you print on them? Also what are you wiping them down with, paper towel, cloth etc? What print mode are you running?

AJB

Materials are store inside climate controlled. The the are wiped down 5 to 20 minutes before printing with a cloth. We are very careful to remove and reduce the effects of static and keep the materials clean.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Dammit, and I thought this was a thread about lamb chops. Now, I'm hungry.

• Agree
Reactions: RG

AJB

? For whatever reason the printer does not print on coroplast, and no one at signs warehouse or mutoh has been able to tell me why. If any one else has an thoughts I'm am interested. Which besides damaging my companies reputation, I really need a printer to do coroplast signs.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
What type of Alcohol are you using the prep the boards? I have seen Ethel Alcohol cause issues in the past. I would try some other cleaning agent to prep the boards to see if it makes a difference. We have a couple of beer distributors running coroplast all day long with these inks and haven't heard any issues.

Sindex Printing

I have no problems with the ink sticking and staying on. I am currently have a problem on epanel that randomly in the print I will get a light spot in the middle of the print (Mutoh and Axiom are currently trying to fin a fix for this). Feel free to message me with your email and I can send you the setting I am currently using for it and see if that helps.

Sindex Printing

For the undefined media. I just had this problem this last week. They are sending parts for mine. Have you tried to recalibrate the sensor in diagnostic mode?