• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My first wrap

shacho

I am about to do my first wrap job (see attached.) What you see attached is what the customer wants. I have watched enough videos on wrapping I feel confident I can do the job but for this particular design I am scared when I get to the front and start going around some heavy contours the graphics will become distorted. Should I be doing graphics like this around heavy contours, I mean is it possible to do this without distorting the image or should I tell the customer to pick a design where some distortion won’t be seen?

Attachments

• GREEN VAN.jpg
    GREEN VAN.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 635

shacho

that hcardwell93, i was talking about the transition from the side to the front hood. There is a 90° turn when i go to the hood. would this not be considered a heavy contour.? that is the area im scare of.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Shacho,

You should have a separate print/print file for the hood. I wouldn't have a panel where I was wrapping the side of a vehicle then try to take it to the hood.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

hcardwell93

Hoods, tailgates and roofs should be done as separate print panels.

The nice thing about the front of that van is you really dont have much metal where the fender can meet the hood so dont go crazy trying to make bubbles line up 100%.

Or if you do have a bubble element that's pretty prominent and you don't want to cut it off just lay the wrap on both panels, contour cut around that element and then place it on top of the other panel.

shacho

i have a 54" printer and the wrap is longer than that both ways. Would you suggest i put my panels vertically or horizontally?

2B

we try and minimize the seams so doing it vertically is our go to approach using the door jams.

like the others have said, break it down into sections sides, roof, front, back, and on the sides break it down into sections based upon the door jams of the vehicle.

Since this is your first wrap, do you have an area in the shade / climate controlled garage to do the work in? make sure you avoid installation in direct sunlight. this will stretch the vinyl and cause distortion when you install.

shacho

Yes i do have a shop i will do the wrap in. One last question if you don't mind. Is there a temperature that the vinyl (Arlon 6100 air release) has to reach where it wont try to go back to its original state i.e. going around inside contours.

Last edited:

Dan360

From the product bulletin:

"3M recommends using additional heat in the post-application process for vehicle graphics. During this process, 3M only recommends using a heat gun to make sure the film surface temperature reaches a minimum of 200F (93C) and does not exceed 225F (107C)."

shacho

i know i said only one more question but i keep thinking of other ones. Anyway so it only has to reach that temperature momentarily. i.e. it doesn't have to stay at that heat for any amount of time.

Also what do you think of Arlon 6100 air release with Arlon 3220 lam for this job?
Do you have any recommendations for heat guns?

thanks to everyone for there help... this is an awesome forum.

Dan360

Yea it's just momentarily.

I haven't wrapped with Arlon film so I can't help there.

For heat guns I have two in my kit. A DeWalt with a simple on/off switch and some temperature adjustment for general use, quick and easy to use, and a Wagner with digital temperature adjustment for when I need to hit specific temperatures. The Wagners are cheap and handy, they also fit in 3M's textured surface applicator which is nice.

shacho

Well, i am just about complete my first vehicle wrap. Its actually turning out quite good but i have run into a problem. I am wrapping a Ford transit van and on the side panel there is an indented area where a window would be on some models, but this model just has metal. So what i want to do is stick the bottom of the side then stretch it very tightly to the top to try to avoid it sticking in the indented area but i just can not stretch it tight enough to do this. So what i thought i could do is wet that area but i have read that you are not supposed to wet cast air release material. Has anyone used wet application on cast air release before or is this a no no. Anyone have any ideas on how to get around the indented area? I have attached a picture in my first post on this thread.

thanx

Signmaker1234

Well, i am just about complete my first vehicle wrap. Its actually turning out quite good but i have run into a problem. I am wrapping a Ford transit van and on the side panel there is an indented area where a window would be on some models, but this model just has metal. So what i want to do is stick the bottom of the side then stretch it very tightly to the top to try to avoid it sticking in the indented area but i just can not stretch it tight enough to do this. So what i thought i could do is wet that area but i have read that you are not supposed to wet cast air release material. Has anyone used wet application on cast air release before or is this a no no. Anyone have any ideas on how to get around the indented area? I have attached a picture in my first post on this thread.

thanx

Someone told me yesterday that you could use a wet application with air release, but I'm not sure. Im going to have to investigate, lol!

hcardwell93

You're trying to make this harder than it has to be. Just squeegee it up the side of the van like normal. Then apply a little heat and push it into the channel.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
" I have watched enough videos on wrapping I feel confident I can do the job..."
I have watched enough videos of Bob Ross painting, but that doesn't mean I can paint. I have watched enough video tutorials of Mike Portnoy playing the drums..."
Well you get it. Don't get me wrong, videos help a lot, but practice on your own vehicles for awhile before practicing on your customers' vehicles.
It takes more than just watching videos to wrap with confidence. Hands on experience. The more you touch the vinyl the more you'll get a feel for it.
It sucks to have to eat the cost of the wrap if you mess it up and then get a bad name for yourself floating around town. Just my too sense. ;) (pun intended)