• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My new way of proofing items with dimension

peavey123

Hey All, I'm sure a lot of you get jobs where you are designing something that isn't flat. Yet you need to give your customer a decent idea of what the final product will look like. Some people just can't imagine the final product like we can. A shame I know. lol

I've been teaching myself how to use Blender 3d. A free open-source program. I've been getting good results and my customers really like it. Here's a few recent proofs I've done up. I still need lots of improvement, but it works and I'm getting quick! The tent took minutes and is most recent.

Once I get a bit better I want to take a stab at 3d printing. The possibilities are exciting with that technology. I have so many ideas floating around my head hole.

Attachments

• mancinirenderpng2.jpg
    mancinirenderpng2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 348
  • lipbalm_render_final.jpg
    lipbalm_render_final.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 360
  • niketent_1_proof.jpg
    niketent_1_proof.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 348
  • honorwall2.jpg
    honorwall2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 339

synergy_jim

love it....

we use 3D studio Max, but rarely is a client so bent on seeing it in 3D that they want to pay for the extra renderings.

OADesign

Mee too

I have always wanted to do this kind of rendering. But 99.965% of the time I can't seem to justify the extra time is takes. Especially when I need to keep the printer and plotter running and the phone is ringing and details are flying around the shop.

I guess I'm doing too much. But then, can't justify an extra body to divide up some of the work.

Shop problems.

You renders are awesome though.

Z SIGNS

Looks nice Peav.

I believe presentations like that go along way when trying to make a sale.

I downloaded blender.
Looks sorta like Rhino with a lot more bells and whistles.

I have been playing around with Sketchup lately for dimensional work.
261.jpg princeton derm.jpg

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 331

peavey123

Thanks guys!

I have always wanted to do this kind of rendering. But 99.965% of the time I can't seem to justify the extra time is takes. Especially when I need to keep the printer and plotter running and the phone is ringing and details are flying around the shop.

I guess I'm doing too much. But then, can't justify an extra body to divide up some of the work.

Shop problems.

You renders are awesome though.

No no, you're right. 99% of the time it's not justifiable! Especially on the examples I showed here. haha

I have scenes already made with studio lighting and my settings just right so I just quickly model the sign, I export my graphic from illustrator as a png, apply as a texture then import into my studio scene and render. So it's not bad. If I had to model something more complicated it wouldn't be worth it, but signs are simple.

I have some dimensional sign renders in the works. So I'll post when I get those jobs.

CES020

Very cool. I remember downloading and installing Blender about 3 years ago. I've been programming CNC machines since 1984, so I've drawn my share of just about everything. Couldn't figure out how to use that software for the life of me. It made me feel extremely stupid. I resorted to youtube and I'm not making this up, there was a 10 year old that had done a ton of videos on using Blender. He could do amazing things. I tried to stick it out, but I had some mental block that I couldn't get past on the logic used to make items.

Then some other shiny object came along and I never messed with it again. Maybe it's worth taking another look at these days. A lot can change in 3 years :) Not that I'm any smarter today than I was then, but maybe they dumbed it down so I can understand it now :)

peavey123

Here are some more recent renders for more packaging design. I swear I'll use this for an actual SIGN sometime soon! haha

Logo & Packaging all designed by me. The teal one was an early concept. The other one is final artwork.

Attachments

• spiritsister_conceptrender1.jpg
    spiritsister_conceptrender1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 350
  • spiritsister_proof_render.jpg
    spiritsister_proof_render.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 313