• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Direction On Creating 4 X 8 Ft. Changeable Letter Sign - Help!

Erin Smith

Our sign shop has never created a changeable letter sign. It needs to be double sided and our substrate supplier recommended Alumicore substrate 5mm. I need to know how to apply tracking (i've watched you tube videos suggesting Weldon #16 glue and others recommending rivets). Any direction would be great. I'm in over my head a bit on this project and need to learn as I go.

Billct2

It would actually be good to know some more details, how's it going to be used/mounted, budget etc.
First I would look at pre-made ones wholesale.
If that doesn't work you need to know what track and letters system you will use, they vary widely in quality/material and cost.
It sounds like you are talking about putting track on two side of a 5mm 4x8? Personally I don't like that idea.
I would use something thicker, or better yet something with an internal frame.
As you have heard the track can be fastened with adhesive or rivets and also VHB tape.
We usually use a combination of adhesive and rivets.

henryz

We usually do them illuminated on acrylic or polycarbonate. Like Billct2 said you can pop rivet to any substrate. You should figure out the size of plaques you will be using to figure the spacing in between plaques. We use a company called Quality Image in CA. You can also check WagnerZip for specifications and order product. I'm sure you'll figure it out from watching Youtube.

TXFB.INS

judging by the substrate listed, this is a nonilluminated sign?
might want to double check this as most of these sign types are backlit illuminated.

we have tried VHB tape, glues and pop rivets. The rivets work best for us here in TX

word of caution is to make sure you measure EVERYTHING and allow enough room for the letters to slide in and out of the channels.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Have your designer make a precise drawing with the required spacing, or be very careful to follow the track manufacturer's spacing guide to make sure that the letters fit properly, this is very important. Also, the letter style is important too. A condensed letter will allow more copy, but if it is too condensed it affects readability.

Jean Shimp

If you are not supplying a cabinet with a clear locking acrylic window keep in mind that dirt can collect in the clear acrylic type tracks over time and look unsightly. You might be able to use aluminum track to avoid this problem.

IslandSignWorks

Learned this the hard way - install the tracks so the letters have a slight bow outward when they're inserted. Otherwise they'll plop out on the ground. Pop rivets might work, but they leave a little dimple on the back side. If you did all your layout and pre-drilled all your holes, you could install tracks on both sides through a single sheet of 080 aluminum. Cheaper than dibond and will probably last longer. Put it in a frame, done.

ams

It all depends on the sign for what is best to use. We've created a half dozen changeable letter signs and each was different. Also are you planning on attaching the letter tracks with VHB or are you going to use a pan head screw?