• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help finding copyright owner on a design

Pippin Decals

Im trying to find out who the owner copyright holder is for the decal that says F*it with the stick figure on the letters i and t.. Im trying to see if i can buy a license for it ,I cant seem to find anything on it except everyone that sells it.. Hopefully someone can help..Ive tried everything i could think of to look online and im getting nothing.. Thank you .

ikarasu

Im trying to find out who the owner copyright holder is for the decal that says F*it with the stick figure on the letters i and t.. Im trying to see if i can buy a license for it ,I cant seem to find anything on it except everyone that sells it.. Hopefully someone can help..Ive tried everything i could think of to look online and im getting nothing.. Thank you .

The one that 1000's of people are selling on ebay for $2? good luck... Stuff like that usually isn't copyrighted in the traditional sense. Some guy probably designed it, posted it, and everyone ripped him off. I doubt he filed a copyright for it..

https://****itstickers.com/ I found this, it claims to be the original, but anyone with $5 can make a website claiming the same. Created in june 2015... not sure how long the stickers been around, but it's a place you can start.

Censored :D Change the *** to the f word.. you get the idea.

Last edited:

fresh

Did you ever see that TedTalk about copyright? Its up to you to enforce it, if you let everyone and their mamma use your design without demanding they stop... you've lost the copyright and now its public domain.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you the same people who say we own the rights to some person's logo, even though you never told them up front and you hold the logo ransom when they have someone else produce it ??

fresh

Are you the same people who say we own the rights to some person's logo, even though you never told them up front and you hold the logo ransom when they have someone else produce it ??

This is actually how you can enforce a copyright. Anything I make is copyright FRESH. I get to decide how my intellectual property gets used. If someone ordered a sign from me, they get a sign. If later on they want to use my artwork for something else, well, lets talk about that.

I'm happy to provide a "logo design" service, complete with transfer of files. But i charge for that service, and the guy coming in just to have his truck doors lettered so he's legal isn't interested in paying an extra $300-500++ when he just needs his name and phone number on the door. My shop likes to make everything that goes out the door look good. My partner and I are both art school graduates, its not hard for us to do an awesome design. Anyway, if the guy with a truck we just lettered comes in asking for the logo, we ask what its for... If its for some local advertisement, we usually will give a low res version. But he wants to rebrand his whole operation, he's going to pay a fee. Its not holding it ransom. I can't walk into a restaurant, order a sandwich, and then expect I get a salad for free because there was lettuce on the sandwich. "Oh, I didn't know I wanted a salad until I tasted the amazing lettuce! Now I want all the lettuce and I expect it to be free."

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is actually how you can enforce a copyright. Anything I make is copyright FRESH. I get to decide how my intellectual property gets used. If someone ordered a sign from me, they get a sign. If later on they want to use my artwork for something else, well, lets talk about that.

So, you don't explain this upfront to them beforehand ?? You wait til they come back...... and then we'll talk abvout it ?? Sounds like ransom to me.

I'm happy to provide a "logo design" service, complete with transfer of files. But i charge for that service, and the guy coming in just to have his truck doors lettered so he's legal isn't interested in paying an extra $300-500++ when he just needs his name and phone number on the door. My shop likes to make everything that goes out the door look good. My partner and I are both art school graduates, its not hard for us to do an awesome design. Anyway, if the guy with a truck we just lettered comes in asking for the logo, we ask what its for... If its for some local advertisement, we usually will give a low res version. But he wants to rebrand his whole operation, he's going to pay a fee. Its not holding it ransom. I can't walk into a restaurant, order a sandwich, and then expect I get a salad for free because there was lettuce on the sandwich. "Oh, I didn't know I wanted a salad until I tasted the amazing lettuce! Now I want all the lettuce and I expect it to be free."

Well, being art graduates or good has nothing to do with the facts of telling someone upfront about payments needed later to use their own logo if it wasn't explained to them. The part of buying salad from tasting a sandwich doesn't make sense..... sorry.

What I was getting at is...... some in this thread are indicating that you can do what you want with this particular topic the OP started, because everyone else is doing it and that it's almost impossible to stop. Thus, I asked about the logo thing from the person wearing the shoe on the other foot. Kinda like your salad impression....... huh ??

signbrad

if you let everyone and their mamma use your design without demanding they stop... you've lost the copyright and now its public domain.

Fresh,
If someone told you this they were misinformed. They were probably confusing copyright protection with trademark protection, which is easy to do.

CAN YOU LOSE COPYRIGHT PROTECTION?

Copyright protection (in the US) lasts for a set period of time and then expires automatically. In the case of a single author, copyright protection lasts for the lifetime of the author plus 70 years.

You cannot lose copyright protection if others copy your work, no matter how many times it's copied. Copyright infringement does not cause a copyrighted work to fall into the public domain.

There are only two ways to lose copyright:

1. You can sell it, trade it for something or give it away, just as is true of any other piece of property. And I imagine you can lose it in a poker game. You can also bequeath it to an heir in your last will, so that the copyright transfers to them when you die. And, of course, you can rent it out (license it), which is what clipart services do.

2. If you don't specifically transfer it, there is only one other way to lose copyright in the US: you must die and wait 70 years.:)
Interestingly, if you create a work of authorship as part of your work for an employer, the employer automatically owns the copyright, except in certain cases.

Of course, a design is only protected by copyright if it meets the government's standards for copyright protection. Much of the design work we sign makers do does not qualify for copyright protection. For example, typefaces that we may design are not protected by copyright (in the US). Fonts are protected, however.

Further, designs that consist of stylized type and/or simple geometric shapes are generally not eligible for copyright protection. This means many logo designs cannot be protected by copyright.

Can a sign layout, a graphic layout, be protected by copyright?
You would think so. But read what was written by a graphic artist-turned-attorney, Linda Kattwinkel, regarding copyright protection for graphic design layouts. She wrote this a few years back while with the Graphic Artists Guild, so it's not super-new information. Have things changed much since? I don't know.
Registering Your Copyright in Graphic Design: Fighting Back if the Copyright Office Says No | Graphic Artists Guild

YOU CAN LOSE TRADEMARK PROTECTION

Trademark protection is quite different from copyright protection. Trademarks must be safeguarded or else they can be lost. If a trademark is used indiscriminately by others and goes unchallenged, it can lose trademark status. The list of trademarks that have lost protection is a long one. It includes cellophane, escalator, kerosene, linoleum and yoyo. When a protected trademark loses its protected status and becomes a common word it is called genericide. The Xerox and Google trademarks may be in danger of genericide. Some trademarks, like thermos, have lost protection in certain countries but still retain it in others. Aspirin is generic in the US but is a protected trademark in Canada and Germany.

Of course, enforcing trademark and copyright protection can be easier said than done. It is not cheap.
And a lawsuit for copyright infringement may only be initiated in federal court.

Actively protecting intellectual property favors corporations and people with money. There was talk at one time of creating a “small claims” process for copyright infringement. A study was even done by the US Copyright Office about the need for it, but I don't think anything has come of it yet.

Brad in Kansas City

ikarasu

Just to be clear... I don't think because everyone is doing it, it's ok to do it. I pointed out everyone is doing it, so it's going to be hard to find the original owner.

Just like when you guys design a logo for someone, you don't head on over to the copyright office and copyright it, I highly doubt the original creator did the same. Some guy probably thought it was funny, designed it, and it went "Viral" And now it's everywhere.

I'd never use the image on a clients car/business, or try to monetize off of it. Will anything happen? Probably not... but most of the customers I've dealt with are big ones, who always confirm you have the rights to use the image. All it takes is one "I think it'd be fine", and then word of mouth just cost you thousands in business.

Would I cut it and stick it on my car? If I couldn't find the original owner, and I could buy a copy from 1 of 1000 vendors online, and I actually liked the design..(I wouldn't use the f it one ;p) Sure. I'm not costing the original owner nothing, or gaining from his work, and I would gladly pay to use it, if I could find him. Sometimes it's just not possible though.

Hence the "Good luck". In the age of cricuts and $100 vinyl cutters, there are thousands of decal websites and ebay and etsy users. Tracking down the original decal for anything is nearly impossible :(

sardocs

PhilaWraps said:

jeez - just change it a bit and make it your own!

I've been in the biz since the '70's and it still amazes me that people think if they change a design, sometimes by a certain percentage, it's then OK to use. Where did that ridiculous notion come from. The only percentage you can change a design to have it become yours is 100%.

PhilaWraps

PhilaWraps said:

jeez - just change it a bit and make it your own!

I've been in the biz since the '70's and it still amazes me that people think if they change a design, sometimes by a certain percentage, it's then OK to use. Where did that ridiculous notion come from. The only percentage you can change a design to have it become yours is 100%.

thats probably something that your elder design teacher told you in middle school.... If you're cranking out some production work for a 400.00 client then change it a bit and get it out the door.... If you have a big ass job coming up with this then you probably don't want to pay royalties on that anyway... besides, time is money and you're spending WAY too much time tracking down some 12 year old kind in china who made your artwork...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
thats probably something that your elder design teacher told you in middle school.... If you're cranking out some production work for a 400.00 client then change it a bit and get it out the door.... If you have a big *** job coming up with this then you probably don't want to pay royalties on that anyway... besides, time is money and you're spending WAY too much time tracking down some 12 year old kind in china who made your artwork...

Nope, no designer teacher ever told me anything remotely like that. I've been doing this since the early 70's also, and it was a known fact, you don't copy someone else's work whatsoever. Whether it be for a $40.... $400 or a $40,000 job. You don't copy another person's work or ideas. You can use it as a guide/inspiration, but no one copied others work..... anyway no one with integrity.

Your kinda advice is useless regardless what the value of the end product will be. To tell someone to go ahead and copy something and change it a bit is wrong and a dumb idea.

Dr. Decal

I once worked in a mall for an Indian gentleman. He placed a microscopic disclaimer at the bottom of each invoice stating that the customer was giving the shop permission to use the artwork (usually pulled straight from google images) and they were responsible for any conflicts of copyright. He would do absolutely anything you asked for, right there in the mall. He also tried to pay me in cash, illegal alien wages, because "taxes only padded the pockets of fat cats on Capitol Hill". I worked there two weeks, and he shut down shortly after.

You'll be fine til you're not. Plenty of people have made a career out of bootlegging copyrighted material.

Pirates aren't just in Pittsburgh...

Signsfyi

Not that it helps, but the design you speak of is a spin off of the VW campaign "Fahrvergnugen". Someone altered that to say, "F*ckengruven", then ultimately to the design that you are trying to find the original designer of. My suspicion is that it has been created multiple times and would be virtually impossible to identify the true, original creator. That being said, it speaks volumes that you are trying to show respect and integrity to other's creations. In this case, it is probably a moot point and reproducing it will probably not get you into any kind of trouble. However, nothing is a sure thing and you do take some risk.

PhilaWraps

ok ok ok......Listen to me.... I'm certainly not suggesting to EVER EVER EVER jack someone elses work. ever. We don't do it here and never have. You're talking about some crappy spin off!! Come on guys.... This is not some super intense creative amazing thing..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
ok ok ok......Listen to me.... I'm certainly not suggesting to EVER EVER EVER jack someone elses work. ever. We don't do it here and never have. You're talking about some crappy spin off!! Come on guys.... This is not some super intense creative amazing thing..

You're correct that this isn't rocket science, but how do you figure....... it is Okay to do something wrong based on the level of the infraction or cost of the job ?? With your kinda logic, it's punishable by law to rob a liquor store, but if you steal some pencils and scotch tape from the boss, it's alright. So, when does stealing not become stealing ??

Last edited:

PhilaWraps

You're correct that this ins't rocket science, but how do you figure....... it is Okay to do something wrong based on the level of the infraction or cost of the job ?? With your kinda logic, it's punishable by law to rob a liquor store, but if you steal some pencils and scotch tape from the boss, it's alright. So, when does stealing not become stealing ??

your analogy makes sense...however. What about if that liquor store was on the side of the road and the bottles at some point were stolen themselves?