• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Input

To say I have a lot to learn is a huge understatement. My primary business is laser engraving. I have created some simple 2D signs for customers. I've been asked by a client to replace existing outdoor signs. I am looking at using glued cedar planks to create the required sizes. I plan to laser engrave then color fill and varnish. I would appreciate any suggestions on using different material (MDO?), approaches, finishes, costing, etc.

visual800

I would suggest you post a pic or layout of what you are doing, this seems like overkill to me. You mentioned using engraved cedar but then mentioned MDO, Im a little confused sir

I would suggest you post a pic or layout of what you are doing, this seems like overkill to me. You mentioned using engraved cedar but then mentioned MDO, Im a little confused sir

The exterior signs are simple. CLOSED, WELCOME, PARKING, etc. I was planning use cedar planks, glued together, to build the size signs required. I would then laser engrave the lettering and color fill. Final step would be to apply varnish. I was hoping to get some input on other approaches, (i.e. using MDO vs. the cedar boards) finishes, and costing. My client likes the laser engraved look on wood so that eliminates some variations.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To say I have a lot to learn is a huge understatement. My primary business is laser engraving. I have created some simple 2D signs for customers. I've been asked by a client to replace existing outdoor signs. I am looking at using glued cedar planks to create the required sizes. I plan to laser engrave then color fill and varnish. I would appreciate any suggestions on using different material (MDO?), approaches, finishes, costing, etc.

What is a 2D laser sign ?? In other words, what's your definition of that ??

The exterior signs are simple. CLOSED, WELCOME, PARKING, etc. I was planning use cedar planks, glued together, to build the size signs required. I would then laser engrave the lettering and color fill. Final step would be to apply varnish. I was hoping to get some input on other approaches, (i.e. using MDO vs. the cedar boards) finishes, and costing. My client likes the laser engraved look on wood so that eliminates some variations.

What size are these things gonna be ?? Finished size of blanks and copy.

Anyway, plywood is a lousy choice for doing relief work for outside applications. Cedar, redwood, oak, mahogany and some other woods are better, but be careful as some are harder than other and won't look nice once you get through with it on a laser machine.

Jean Shimp

the only time I've seen successful use of varnish on raw wood was when I worked at a boat yard and they would spray about 12 coats of clear over the wood. Otherwise, the varnish splits after about a year and then moisture gets to the wood, eventually turning it gray.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
the only time I've seen successful use of varnish on raw wood was when I worked at a boat yard and they would spray about 12 coats of clear over the wood. Otherwise, the varnish splits after about a year and then moisture gets to the wood, eventually turning it gray.

That would probably be because you are letting a step out. One of the important steps in clearing soft or hardwoods is to seal the wood first. It all depends on if you are staining, which order your steps are conducted.

A flat sign that has been laser engraved.

The sizes range from 6" X 12" to 30" X 24". The copy varies from a single word to more than 30 words.

Anyway, plywood is a lousy choice for doing relief work for outside applications. Cedar, redwood, oak, mahogany and some other woods are better, but be careful as some are harder than other and won't look nice once you get through with it on a laser machine.

I was considering MDO vs having to glue cedar planks together. There is a considerable cost difference in material and labor.

I'm not sure I understand you're statement about hardwoods and the how they look after being laser engraved. It's true there are many variables to consider when laser engraving wood. The hardness and resin content being primary. Like sign making, if you know what you're doing you should be capable of producing quality output regardless.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

A flat sign that has been laser engraved.

No, that is 3D

2D is left/right - top/bottom.

Your third dimension is when you have relief to the 2D image of either raised or lowered then the 2D face.

The sizes range from 6" X 12" to 30" X 24". The copy varies from a single word to more than 30 words.

I was considering MDO vs having to glue cedar planks together. There is a considerable cost difference in material and labor.

I'm not sure I understand you're statement about hardwoods and the how they look after being laser engraved. It's true there are many variables to consider when laser engraving wood. The hardness and resin content being primary. Like sign making, if you know what you're doing you should be capable of producing quality output regardless.

Some woods will look almost like it was shredded along the edges. Generally the harder the wood, the more apparent this is. Anyway, there is a cost difference between plywood and cedar, because it's by far a much more inferior product and once you cut into the face of plywood, you're exposing layers of plies of wood. For plywood, that's a big No-No.

To do this correctly, anything over 11 inches will hafta be biscuited and glued up. Otherwise, they might warp on you, even at that size. The end grain will also determine what your outcome will be. So, take that into consideration, too.

As you said, quality is possible in any range, but time required to do this will vary tremendously.

Seriously, re-think using MDO. That is 100% the wrong choice.