• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Ford Aluminum Trucks - No Magnets - Options?????

idsignsil

We have customers that use their personal trucks for work. They use magnets normally. Now with the new aluminum trucks, what are you guys doing? They don't want permanent decals, because they take them off when not at the job sites. Any suggestions? I thought maybe Photo Tex. But then guys with dirty hands have to take them off the truck and try to put it on backer paper.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Tell them to get a GM truck..... there is realistically no other re-useable option. Any sort of vinyl is going to stretch making it unusable and even a reusable fabric like phototex is only going to be able to be reused but so many times before it looks like crap.

T_K

You could offer static cling - but I would expect it would blow off on the road. Even magnets will do this if they don't take care of them (and most customers don't).

I'm not aware of any good reusable, non-permanent options for aluminim/plastic vehicles.

rjssigns

Tell them to get a GM truck..... there is realistically no other re-useable option. Any sort of vinyl is going to stretch making it unusable and even a reusable fabric like phototex is only going to be able to be reused but so many times before it looks like crap.

GM will have aluminum trucks for the 2018 model year IIRC. Dodge will probably be right after that.

About 10 years ago there was a super thin, reusable material that stuck real well, and I don't think it was magnetic. Manufacturer stopped making it. Something about high cost and poor sales. Can't for the life of me remember the trade name.

2B

it's becoming more and more of an issue.
I can think of several recent sales that were either canceled once they tested the surface or pissed once they tried to place it on the truck and it fell off

We have looked and so far there is no viable option to the aluminum trucks while maintaining the removable / attachable properties of magnetic sheeting.

Billct2

Most solutions are ugly and permanent, like track or snap locks. Plus so many
people lease they can't touch the truck anyway.

Devon19515

Check out Photo-Tex material.
Some kind of polyester material that sticks very well and is removable without leaving
adhesive. Also claimed to be re-useable.
I requested a sample at the last Orlando sign show but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Billct2

The problem I have seen with any of the currently available repositionable vinyl type materials is they so thin it is
difficult not to mess them up in the handling. And they seem to be intended for interior/fathead type use.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We have been testing a material called Unistick FX100.
It is eco solvent printable and seems to stay on smooth painted or glass surfaces really well.
The material is stiff like a 1mil pvc sheet but thinner - hard to cut.
We've done some samples for the car dealer's lot and they have them stuck on the windows and the paint - so far so good.
Not sure how they hold up driving down the road and if they will start to curl up from the heat but so far so good.
The back is not adhesive but sticks better than static cling.
If you drop it in the dirt - just rinse it off and you are back in business.

wayne k
guam usa

idsignsil

Thanks for the response's everyone. I figured there was not many good options. I will look into the Unistick FX100 and the Seal EasyDOT.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We have used some of the "non-adhesive" sticky vinyl before, and while it works great for smooth surfaces, I would not think that it would work well for a moving vehicle; especially one where the driver is installing it their self.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Found this spec sheet on the Easy Dot... Cool stuff. I actually really impressed that they showed images of the limitations of the product on the front end instead of trial and error and headaches after buying a full roll. Good Job Neschen/Seal!
http://www.neschenamericas.com/webs...Sheets/$file/Tech Guide - Easy Dot 2013-8.pdf

We have a large group of our clients using it now. The thing you'll find is your clients can self install easier due to the dot pattern and no tools required. The other great benefit is the reuse ability and adhesive can be cleaned. We use warm water wash it off with light soap if needed.

Joel golden

There is always a solution, but it's gonna cost some money on the install! Just brainstorming here but what about an equally sized piece of sheet metal on the other side of the door panel?

We actually had someone come in and ask to have their magnetic sign remagnetized... bought a f-150 and it didn't work anymore

I think the only way is to stick a metall plate on the inside of the vehichle and test if the magnet is strong enough to hold on to that, otherwise there is no good solution,
All other materials will have problems with dirt.