• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mike R.

Good morning,

I am a new member with Signs101. Just want to introduce and tell a little about myself; I am a instructor/teacher at a Career Tech Program in Athens, AL, I have been teaching for 22 years, l love my job. I teach Collision Repair Technology. I have an average of 40 to 50 students per year, (2 classes per day, AM and PM). With the growing technology in today's world and the changing of young people's work habits, the need to stay ready and on top of all new technology is overwhelming. Over the last several years I have seen many changes in the automotive industry, from plain simple vehicles to vehicles with over 300 computers on-board, vehicles that drive themselves, to all types of lifesaving warning systems. The refinishing systems and colors have been blown out of the water, from brilliant colors to flat black mat. Custom painting is a dying art and is being replaced with vinyl wraps.

I made a push a couple years ago to get my school on board to purchase a vinyl wrap machine. I knew nothing about vehicle wrapping other than it looked great and I thought it would be an interest to my students. So, with a little convincing one was purchased. I got what was in a package deal (value jet 1204 Mutoh, Q54 Cutter, and a Enduro Laminator). The first real project we wrapped (march 2016) was school bus. Nothing really elaborate, just kept it simple. The students and I had a great time with it. Well, summer came and then the start of school, fall of 2016. All has been going well. Now I am having printing issues. Seems from all I am reading, I either have print head or waste station problem.

Mike R.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
:welcome: 2 :signs101smilie: from OK. If the printer stays idle for long periods, the ink will dry up in the head. If you are cleaning it daily the problem may be the ink drying up in the lines in the clean out station. Printers must stay busy to keep maintenance low.

Joe House

I've seen this pretty regularly with printers at schools. I'd recommend that you get a tech in to do a preventative maintenance visit on it at the start of every school year. Have them replace the maintenance station before the year starts and ask for recommendations on maintenance while you have them there. They'll probably be able to educate you on the care and feeding of your equipment.

Good luck and post the pictures of the wrap job.

Mike R.

Welcome to the forum! Make sure you post the pictures of those wraps!
I've seen this pretty regularly with printers at schools. I'd recommend that you get a tech in to do a preventative maintenance visit on it at the start of every school year. Have them replace the maintenance station before the year starts and ask for recommendations on maintenance while you have them there. They'll probably be able to educate you on the care and feeding of your equipment.

Good luck and post the pictures of the wrap job.

Thanks for the info. I do understand that the machine has to be used. I try to print something at least every 3 days. I leave the machine on all night. My understanding is, if the machine is on then it goes through a maintenance cycle. Is this correct. I will post some pics.

C

ColoPrinthead

Thanks for the info. I do understand that the machine has to be used. I try to print something at least every 3 days. I leave the machine on all night. My understanding is, if the machine is on then it goes through a maintenance cycle. Is this correct. I will post some pics.
That is correct

Mike R.

Some of the wraps the students have worked on.

Attachments

• 20160519_145939.jpg
    20160519_145939.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 20160519_145939.jpg
    20160519_145939.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 20161117_101730.jpg
    20161117_101730.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 20161117_121741.jpg
    20161117_121741.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 20161212_132851 (2).jpg
    20161212_132851 (2).jpg
    774.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 20161213_143054.jpg
    20161213_143054.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 200
  • 20170223_140502.jpg
    20170223_140502.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 20170227_144305.jpg
    20170227_144305.jpg
    832.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 20170307_104127.jpg
    20170307_104127.jpg
    854.6 KB · Views: 283
  • 20160519_145939.jpg
    20160519_145939.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 195

Joe House

I try to print something at least every 3 days. I leave the machine on all night. My understanding is, if the machine is on then it goes through a maintenance cycle. Is this correct.
Just remember that these were designed to be production machines. Printing a nozzle test every 3 days won't cut it. If you're printing 10 sf or more every 3 days, this might do the trick. It will do a maintenance cleaning if it's turned on, but again this won't overcome the fact that it's mostly sitting there.
One of the problems with this machine is that you can't easily get in and clean the cap top and wiper let alone the print head. Make sure you're using a flashlight when you clean the cap top. You'd be surprised what builds up if you regularly do the maintenance cleaning without one.

On the flip side, I just replaced a cap top on a Roland printer that had been sitting unplugged for almost 2 months. It took some soaking, syringing and powerful cleanings, but we went from no nozzles to all nozzles overnight.
I'd recommend getting a new maintenance station and wiper installed then work on recovering the head. Chances are, you'll be able to recover it with a little work.

Mike R.

Just remember that these were designed to be production machines. Printing a nozzle test every 3 days won't cut it. If you're printing 10 sf or more every 3 days, this might do the trick. It will do a maintenance cleaning if it's turned on, but again this won't overcome the fact that it's mostly sitting there.
One of the problems with this machine is that you can't easily get in and clean the cap top and wiper let alone the print head. Make sure you're using a flashlight when you clean the cap top. You'd be surprised what builds up if you regularly do the maintenance cleaning without one.

On the flip side, I just replaced a cap top on a Roland printer that had been sitting unplugged for almost 2 months. It took some soaking, syringing and powerful cleanings, but we went from no nozzles to all nozzles overnight.
I'd recommend getting a new maintenance station and wiper installed then work on recovering the head. Chances are, you'll be able to recover it with a little work.

No, I do a full print at least every 3 day. The print is at least 6 to 10 inches tall and 48 wide. I try to come up with things here at school, like logos, department logos, and small items that I can print. As for the cleaning of the cap station, yes I have learned that it can get dirty and a flashlight is needed. I feel that was the start/cause of me problem. I was not cleaning all the parts like I should. Now, I just can't seem to get everything on track. I have made contact with a maintenance person. I hope he can come help me with my problem. Being a school, money is hard to come by. I spoke to the dealer I purchase the machine from (in Texas), looks like that may be really expensive. Air fair, car rental, motel, and food. I do understand everyone has to make money, just thinking if I could find someone around closer could save money. Seems hard to find a maintenance guy near Athens, Al. I have called around. Spoke to a guy in Birmingham. Hope he can find time to work me in.