• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New windows update causes problems with fonts

Joe Diaz

If you have been using Corel, Quark, I think some Adobe programs, and I've heard some MS programs too, and you have noticed that some of your fonts aren't displaying properly, it's most likely due to the newest Windows Update.

Here are a few links explaining it:
http://coreldraw.com/forums/t/37077.aspx

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-7467-4113-b59f-25c979fd6e98?tm=1355434823078

I won't tell you what to do on your computer, but we remedied the problem by uninstalling the updates as suggested on the above links.

Joe Diaz

Oops noticed someone else posted this under the flexi forum of this site. It effects more than just flexi, so if you are having font problems in any program check to see if this is the issue.

Ursta Graphics

I have been having problems in Signlab with fonts not showing up in the pool that show they are installed in windows... wonder if its the same problem?

Techman

yes it is the same problem.
You have to remove the latest update.
And then turn off auto update in windows to prevent any further problems with updates.

phototec

yes it is the same problem.
You have to remove the latest update.
And then turn off auto update in windows to prevent any further problems with updates.

Techman, do you think MS is aware of this issue and working on it?

Maybe fixing it in the NEXT update?

Anyone let them know about it?

SignBurst PCs

I wouldn't advise turning off the updates. You can uninstall the single offending update and "hide" the update so it doesn't get installed again. I know that Curtis and I have a philosophical difference of opinion here, but I thought that I would mention that you don't have to stop automatic updates to prevent the offending updating from installing again in the future. I have been helping folks do this all morning.

phototec

I wouldn't advise turning off the updates. You can uninstall the single offending update and "hide" the update so it doesn't get installed again. I know that Curtis and I have a philosophical difference of opinion here, but I thought that I would mention that you don't have to stop automatic updates to prevent the offending updating from installing again in the future. I have been helping folks do this all morning.

Casey, do you mind posting your suggested fix to this FONT issure, for us who are not all that savey on doing this?

Thanks

SignBurst PCs

Win 7:

Start > All Programs > Windows Update
Click on View Update History
Click on Installed Updates
Find Update labeled KB2753842, right-click it and unistall it. It should prompt you for a restart, go ahead.

After restart, Start > All Programs > Windows Update
You should now see it (KB2753842) in the list of Important Updates to be installed, right-click it and Hide it

You should be good to go. It shouldn't install again.

Win XP is very similar, but you uninstall the update in Add and Remove Programs. You can Hide the update in Windows Update (Internet Explorer). The exact steps are a tad bit different, but the process is the same.

Joe Diaz

The weird thing is when we restarted after uninstalling the update in question, then attempted to hide KB2753842, as suggested by others, KB2753842 was nowhere to be found. SO I couldn't hide it. I wonder if MS took down the update so it doesn't accidentally install on systems that haven't been hit yet?

SignBurst PCs

That may be. It was there this morning as I helped several folks with the process, but I have no doubt that it will be pulled.

David40

I have a similar problem but it's on an XP machine I have not done any Windows Updates on in two years. In Flexi the fonts don't display when typed, and in Illustrator the Adobe fonts are missing completely from the Fonts List. The only thing I updated was my Free version of AVG anti-virus from 2012 to 2013. Could it be the AVG Update deals with the same security issue as the Windows Update in question??

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Bumping this thread a couple weeks later.

Does anyone know if Microsoft has fixed that one update that caused all the Postscript Type 1 font issues? Microsoft still seems to be pushing that update out to users, along with other updates.

idsignsil

Bobby, I believe there was another thread stating that it had been fixed. I have not updated yet, I was waiting for someone one here to try it and see if it is truly fixed.

neato

Just an update: I just bought a new computer and that update was made for me on Jan 7. I'm having no issues with my fonts from it. It must have been patched.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
My Windows just updated earlier this week and I noticed that my OT fonts came back...so far, so good.

JB

David40

Still no fix for AVG in Win XP. AVG says they are unable to determine why Upgrading from their 2012 to 2013 version causes the same problem. Looks like I am stuck with version 2012 or switching to a different virus software.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Bumping this thread again for Fall 2021 on the occasion of Microsoft rolling out Windows 11. While I've heard some decent things about the Windows 11 update I'm wondering what Windows 11 could take away from PC users. In the context of this thread I'm wondering about fonts, specifically OS support for Postscript Type 1 fonts. Will they still work in Windows 11?

Adobe has previously announced they will begin removing support for Postscript Type 1 fonts, first with Photoshop sometime in 2021 and then moving on through the rest of their applications by 2023. For now, Type 1 fonts still work in the current version (22.5) of Photoshop. Perhaps they'll be purged next month when Photoshop v23 rolls out at the Adobe MAX event. Given what Adobe is doing to retire a piece of their own type technology it would seem only obvious to question if other companies (such as Microsoft) will either continue to support Type 1 fonts in their products.

For some people this issue won't make any difference. Postscript Type 1 is really old technology and it's probably mostly "old timers" such as myself who have decent collections of such fonts. And then Microsoft put some limits on what kinds of computers can be updated from Win 10 to 11. Some people will choose to stick with Win 10 as long as they can. Others who want to upgrade will have to get newer PC hardware in order to do so.

I've done a bit of searching about Windows 11, but can't find much relating to its font format support. I don't really feel like test-driving the beta of Win 11 just to find out. One type upgrade Win 11 is getting: a new variable version of the Segoe typeface for better UI flexibility on regular and high DPI displays.