• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not very happy with Corel X-8

Jim Hill

I upgraded from X-5 to X-8 a few months ago and I thought at first it was just me getting used to the differences between the two versions so I gave myself some time to learn to use it!

The amount of times the program just seems to freeze up and won't doing anything other then give a message that say's X-8 has stopped working is getting very old and at this point I am really missing my old X-5 which worked great.

I have been receiving updates to the program right along but it's hard to work 8 hours a day with X-8 not acting up and my have to reboot it over and over.

So much for upgrading to what should have been a better version of CorelDraw!

If anyone knows what's wrong I welcome your advice because right now I am not a happy customer after using Corel products for years I am not sure I would recommend X-8 to anyone.

Jim

Pippin Decals

I upgraded from X-5 to X-8 a few months ago and I thought at first it was just me getting used to the differences between the two versions so I gave myself some time to learn to use it!

The amount of times the program just seems to freeze up and won't doing anything other then give a message that say's X-8 has stopped working is getting very old and at this point I am really missing my old X-5 which worked great.

I have been receiving updates to the program right along but it's hard to work 8 hours a day with X-8 not acting up and my have to reboot it over and over.

So much for upgrading to what should have been a better version of CorelDraw!

If anyone knows what's wrong I welcome your advice because right now I am not a happy customer after using Corel products for years I am not sure I would recommend X-8 to anyone.

Jim

have you tried Ai cs6 or cc? or what about the corel x7 version? i have all 3 and i prefer Ai ... unless you have to have Corel

Jim Hill

I have been using CorelDraw for over 15 years now and I do like it just not verson X-8 which just seem to freeze up the screen almost everyday.

I keep thinking one of these updates should correct this problem because it very annoying when you are in the middle of designing something and it tells you to close the program.

Jim

WildWestDesigns

I have been using CorelDraw for over 15 years now and I do like it just not verson X-8 which just seem to freeze up the screen almost everyday.

I keep thinking one of these updates should correct this problem because it very annoying when you are in the middle of designing something and it tells you to close the program.

Jim

I don't know how much longer X8 will be supported though. There was a utube video that I watched on a previewing of Draw 2017 and he was talking like Corel was going to go on a yearly release cycle. Which based on some other Draw posts, I don't know if it's such a good idea when things are coming out kosher.

I switched from X5 to X7 a couple years ago and I have the same problem with X7, although I will say that it only happens maybe once a week. I get the "Corel Draw has stopped working" error, or something to that effect.

Another annoying anomaly is that occassionally my tabs won't close out. I click the little square to close a file that I'd been working on and it just won't do anything. Anything that is open at all just simply will not close. It's extremely random and happens several times a week. I end up saving anything that hasn't been saved, closing out Corel Draw altogether, then restarting. These seem like major flaws and updates have never corrrected these issues.

1leonchen

To me Corel is a memory hog. i use all of the above 10,11,12 X3,x4,x5,x6 and x7. when i doing certain stuff, for example a 50 page booklet nesting 11 by 17 spread it tend to bog down my main computer that runs 16 gb ram. i have to switch to a machine that runs 48 gb of ram and two 8 core processors with 4 solid state. runs like a chap then. and i have adobe full version and flexi sign and a mirad of other programs. Corel has the best transform tool ever created. page to page registration. prefect. if it freeze and u try to input more command it just crashes.

printhog

CorelX8 will error out regularly when it tries to multithread... basically saving or printing the file while you're working on it! This gets messy when its also trying to autobackup the same file, as well as the others you have open. For large files, this can make it hang and become totally unresponsive, as well as destroying your work.

I disable that option and it no longer hangs from that issue. One way is by using REGEDIT - read this article - Problem Saving Files? Listen to Technical Support! - Graphics Unleashed Blog

Another way (after Corel figured folks were disabling the function as above) is to switch the background tasks off : Tools>Options>Global> uncheck "Background Tasks".

Another hang is likely your fonts- CorelX8 uses their new and entirely hideous "Corel font manager" (replacement for the Bitstream font mananger that was reliable).. Apparently forcing the professional's pc to a crawl with bloated software is acceptable. Just so long as an amateur user can buy "comic sans italic shadow outline" from Corel's web store. Its likely some Canadian software executive's model of savvy web sales likely inspired by a South Park episode.

The font database is a shame. If you have a large collection of fonts, like more than 3000, you simply cant expect this joke of a tool to do anything but slow you down and really piss you off. Youre best to manage fonts through a third party app like HighLogic MainType. But if so - dont expect to preview your font collection within Corel anymore - nor expect it to properly find fonts for old files as your opening them. The panose matching will not work, and you'll need to manually install the necessary font vs letting corel do it.

No work around to the font thing.. the old bitstream app is not compatible with X8, and corel seems blind to users complaints. at least Grandma can get that comic sans she needs for the church bazaar flier. Never mind my finding the fonts I already own and need for the client's corporate identity update.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Corel Font Manager X8 is definitely a culprit for the terrible performance problems in CorelDRAW X8. I have a pretty large collection of fonts. Referencing that font collection folder in Corel's font manager would just bog down the program. It would take a long time for X8 to launch. And then it would take a long time to just open files. Topping it off, there would be the usual missing fonts message for fonts that were actually installed (a bug that has been with CorelDRAW for the past few versions).

As noted in another discussion thread, I had a serious technical glitch between CorelDRAW X8, its font manager and the huge "creator's update" to Windows 10 Pro. Most of my fonts, even ones that were installed, refused to show up in CorelDRAW X8. I wound up uninstalling and reinstalling fonts to no avail. I ended up uninstalling CorelDRAW X8 and then reinstalling without the font manager. The program runs significantly faster (both launching and opening files). However the program is still behaving a little odd regarding fonts. Even though the font manager isn't installed, some of that function is still baked into CorelDRAW X8. There's a number of fonts I don't have installed in Windows showing up in Corel's fonts list.

I'm back to manually installing and uninstalling fonts as I need them. The uninstalling part is a pain though. Windows' own font management tool is pretty terrible. It has a tendency to refuse to uninstall fonts, claiming they're in use. I end up having to hack the Windows registry to delete the fonts I don't need. I miss the Bitstream Font Manager. Even though it didn't have the "font playground" and allow you to use all sorts of fonts not installed in the OS, it at least worked as intended and did not bog down any programs.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
I had the same problems with X8. I paid for and downloaded the "patch file" wich is Corel Draw 2017. Problem solved.

WildWestDesigns

Windows' own font management tool is pretty terrible. It has a tendency to refuse to uninstall fonts, claiming they're in use.

Have you tried using cmd prompt to uninstall them? Might have to elevate it, but I would rather delete via cmd prompt then resort to registry hacks (although I have done that, moreso to eliminate the mandatory Win 10 updates).

Things like this, I miss the 9x days. F8 into DOS and can delete things that would otherwise be locked in GUI mode.

ams

By the way everyone, X8 has a requirement of a minimum of Intel i3. So basically anything below that is going to lag, crash, etc once in a while.
Get a decent intel i5 and you will be good.

S'N'S

I don't use Corel but I presume this program will work with it....works with my sign program.
I just open AMP font viewer program and "temporarily" install the font from my spare hard drive, then shrink the program, after I finish using the font I close AMP font viewer and the font is delete out of windows fonts.
You can also use the program to view fonts or install and temp install fonts.
And its free.
AMP Font Viewer - Complete font manager: view, organize, install, delete and print fonts lists (TrueType, OpenType and Type 1) - AMPsoft

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
By the way everyone, X8 has a requirement of a minimum of Intel i3. So basically anything below that is going to lag, crash, etc once in a while.
Get a decent intel i5 and you will be good.

My system is starting to age a little, but it is still pretty stout: Core i7 CPU, 24GB of RAM, 1.5 GB GeForce GTX card. Corel's font playground feature is just a lag-tastic pig.

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
Corel Font Manager X8 is definitely a culprit for the terrible performance problems in CorelDRAW X8. I have a pretty large collection of fonts. Referencing that font collection folder in Corel's font manager would just bog down the program. It would take a long time for X8 to launch. And then it would take a long time to just open files. Topping it off, there would be the usual missing fonts message for fonts that were actually installed (a bug that has been with CorelDRAW for the past few versions).

As noted in another discussion thread, I had a serious technical glitch between CorelDRAW X8, its font manager and the huge "creator's update" to Windows 10 Pro. Most of my fonts, even ones that were installed, refused to show up in CorelDRAW X8. I wound up uninstalling and reinstalling fonts to no avail. I ended up uninstalling CorelDRAW X8 and then reinstalling without the font manager. The program runs significantly faster (both launching and opening files). However the program is still behaving a little odd regarding fonts. Even though the font manager isn't installed, some of that function is still baked into CorelDRAW X8. There's a number of fonts I don't have installed in Windows showing up in Corel's fonts list.

I'm back to manually installing and uninstalling fonts as I need them. The uninstalling part is a pain though. Windows' own font management tool is pretty terrible. It has a tendency to refuse to uninstall fonts, claiming they're in use. I end up having to hack the Windows registry to delete the fonts I don't need. I miss the Bitstream Font Manager. Even though it didn't have the "font playground" and allow you to use all sorts of fonts not installed in the OS, it at least worked as intended and did not bog down any programs.
I use FontExpert. In corel X6. Always leary of upgrading to quickly. Like to stay 2 versions behind!! Less headaches!