• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OEM Filament or all Aftermarket

JasonMeisnerSTS

Hello All,

I am new in 3D printing but do have a decent Wide Format Ink and Printing Background. I was hoping to get some clarity on some of the big players in the industry in terms of suppliers as well as confirm if the OEM companies for the printers sell their own filament. From my initial research, all I can find is generic(no name) filament at all different prices and it doesn't appear that there is a certain way to go. Any help and information on this would be more than appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
This is such a small market and too many competitors. I don't think you could find any brand name filament manufactures. Why don't you make your own brand? They do sell the machine and raw material so you can make your own filament spool. Let me try to find the link and will send it to you...

**edit post: You could Google "diy filament extruder" ..and you can build one yourself for $100. Just buy any resin pellet of your choice..

JasonMeisnerSTS

Thank you, any and all help is more than appreciated. Is there a particular company or companies that make the best grade filament available? Also, does the user typically service their own equipment or are there techs that work on these and or sell the filament as well?

This is such a small market and too many competitors. I don't think you could find any brand name filament manufactures. Why don't you make your own brand? They do sell the machine and raw material so you can make your own filament spool. Let me try to find the link and will send it to you...

**edit post: You could Google "diy filament extruder" ..and you can build one yourself for $100. Just buy any resin pellet of your choice..

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
I'm more interested in the hi-resolution resin SLA printer than the filament feed type... If you are talking about the professional large format printer (to print house, car etc...) then it is a different story. For desktop type there could be a new printer coming out every day and the old one will be obsolete in no time.. therefore it is likely that you will have to be a service house yourself. For filament I think only 2 main type of plastic..ABS and ??? (I forgot the name)..the only thing different is the color choices of plastic available...