• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx Production House 12.05 Unable to RIP PDFs

RustyNZ

Hi all, hoping someone may be able to help, have tried search but can't find any one with a similar issue.

Quick background, I'm a tech and new to the sign writing industry, just started in January. Have come from photocopiers and some IT related stuff in the past, have a pretty good understanding of networking and computer use/repair.

I am unable to print PDF's from Onyx Production House 12.05 (and before upgrading, just the base version 12). Whenever I try to open a PDF in the layout tool it just thinks about it for a little bit then looks like nothing happened, if I look on the 'Images' tab it shows there saying it failed to RIP with no further details.

If I try to open RIP it in the Onyx RIP Queue it just stops at the Ripping part and moves it down to the 'job history' down the bottom. If I right click it and go in to the RIP log for that file it shows the following:

06/27/17 15:57:27: Start Process Rip

/undefined
/
false
%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: C:\windows\Fonts\KLUE0001.TTF ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
An error occurred during processing!

06/27/17 15:57:32: End Process Rip

I have tried many different PDF files, some random downloaded ones and others created by other people, I have just created a basic square on AI and exported as PDF then tried to RIP that but it does not work. I have checked on my computer and the font KLUE0001.TTF exists in the location it mentions and I can view the font. I don't see why this font has anything to do with it and suspect it does not.

Have tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of Onyx, tried installing a working version of the printer from another techs computer to mine, updated Onyx from 12 to 12.05 and made no difference. Have another computer here running Onyx 11 and it prints PDFs fine. Other formats seem to work fine on my Onyx 12, TIFF, PNG and others.

It has been suggested for me to try uninstall and reinstall Windows, this is an option but I'm looking for any other suggestions first as I have a lot of software which could be a bit of a pain to re-register etc. I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

RustyNZ

Outline the font + see what happens.

Thanks for the quick response, appreciate it.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. This font is not in any of my documents I'm trying to RIP, even just a square box I created in AI then export as PDF has the same issue.

I've tried even deleting the font in Windows just to see if the error changed but I can't delete the font as it says it's in use (same applies if I try to delete other fonts from the Windows/Fonts directory.

timgo

Graphics Designer
Hi all, hoping someone may be able to help, have tried search but can't find any one with a similar issue.

Quick background, I'm a tech and new to the sign writing industry, just started in January. Have come from photocopiers and some IT related stuff in the past, have a pretty good understanding of networking and computer use/repair.

I am unable to print PDF's from Onyx Production House 12.05 (and before upgrading, just the base version 12). Whenever I try to open a PDF in the layout tool it just thinks about it for a little bit then looks like nothing happened, if I look on the 'Images' tab it shows there saying it failed to RIP with no further details.

If I try to open RIP it in the Onyx RIP Queue it just stops at the Ripping part and moves it down to the 'job history' down the bottom. If I right click it and go in to the RIP log for that file it shows the following:

/undefined
/
false

I have tried many different PDF files, some random downloaded ones and others created by other people, I have just created a basic square on AI and exported as PDF then tried to RIP that but it does not work. I have checked on my computer and the font KLUE0001.TTF exists in the location it mentions and I can view the font. I don't see why this font has anything to do with it and suspect it does not.

Have tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of Onyx, tried installing a working version of the printer from another techs computer to mine, updated Onyx from 12 to 12.05 and made no difference. Have another computer here running Onyx 11 and it prints PDFs fine. Other formats seem to work fine on my Onyx 12, TIFF, PNG and others.

It has been suggested for me to try uninstall and reinstall Windows, this is an option but I'm looking for any other suggestions first as I have a lot of software which could be a bit of a pain to re-register etc. I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64.

- Uninstall Onyx Production House 12.05, allready installed,

- Install version 12 of Onyx Production House.

- Do not upgrade it to version 12.05.

Upgrade version 12.05 not compitable with your version 12.

ikarasu

/undefined
/
false

It's trying to open that font everytime, no matter what? I'd say delete the font... Download a program called Unlocker. It'll unlock the font from windows and delete it - And if that fails, it'll ask if you want to reboot and delete it before windows is using it.

Sounds to me like that font is causing problems, especially if you're having errors with just a square.

[Edit] Download Unlocker - MajorGeeks URL for unlocker.

RustyNZ

Thanks for all the replies.

- Uninstall Onyx Production House 12.05, allready installed,

- Install version 12 of Onyx Production House.

- Do not upgrade it to version 12.05.

Upgrade version 12.05 not compitable with your version 12.

I already had 12 before and it was not working in 12, 12.05 is compatible as I have run the checker and also it allows me to update and works fine with other file formats. PDF no go, TIFF and PNG are fine.

Thanks Ikarasu, I will try that program and see if it works. C

Cheers Bly, I will check there too I think I had a bit of a look there earlier too but will look a bit further.

C

ColoPrinthead

I have had similar happen with Onyx in the past and the culprit was a corrupted profile; Not sure if you're having the issue with more than one profile, but thought it was worth mentioning.

RustyNZ

I have had similar happen with Onyx in the past and the culprit was a corrupted profile; Not sure if you're having the issue with more than one profile, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Thank you, I believe it is more than one profile but I had not thought of that so it could be more than one, I'll try that too.

I will update my post once I fix this issue too for any one else in future.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member

I will repeat the same, once had a corrupt profile and Onyx would only rip raster files, and nothing vector.
Got it fixed and everything started working again.
This one however feels like there might be something wrong with the font file, so I'd start with removing it and see where that leads.

Bly

Another thing that can cause Onyx weirdness is if you have a problematic file in the buffered jobs queue.
Delete them or copy them to another location and restart.

Andy D

I have had issues off and on with vector type files in several versions of Onyx.
That's why I almost always export as a Tiff and rip from that... larger files but
none of the quirky issues that tend to popup from PDF, EPS and AI files.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I had a similar problem, which was solved, by editing printer quicksets> advanced> and then going in to set the post script RIP engine to be JAWS, not adobe.
Save, and reboot the system.

Possibly it might help you

Last edited:

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
I think Ian is on the right track. Onyx changed to an Adobe based RIP. Therefore you should make sure you are no longer using JAWS.

***NOTE***

You will most likely see a difference in color from the JAWS vs. ADOBE ripped files. We did!

CaliforniaVibe

Production and Digital Print Operator

/undefined
/
false

Just got Onyx Production house 12. Fresh install, on multiple computers, same problem; no PDF's were RIPing.
Fixed it:

Setup > RIP Configuration > Jaws Font Manager. Select All, then Delete, and Ok.

Clears the font cache. RIP'ed .pdf's fine.

RustyNZ

Just an update for anyone else that might read this thread. I never really got around to fixing it and always sent things as TIFF until I had something I really needed as a PDF. The fix was very odd and I did not think it made sense but I contacted the supplier we buy Onyx from and they provided me with a key update so I updated my key (USB dongle) and it started printing PDFs with no issue.