• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plastic shipping spacers for vinyl rolls

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I had a feeling you were one of "Those" ;)

Can you prove that we're not responsible for climate change?

Here's how it works sport,it's your proposition therefore it's incumbent upon you to confirm it. No one no how has any responsibility, or interest for that matter, in confirming the opposite. Even if it were possible. Note carefully the use of the term 'confirm'. No hypothesis is capable of proof, only confirmation and disproof. If an hypothesis is incapable of either of these then it's not a hypothesis, just noise. That's the way science works.

EVERY country except 2 signed the paris accord, because EVERY scientist, including US scientists have evidence of global warming. Theres a ton of information out there, I could spend hours searching and linking it... but I'm sure I'd get some sort of insane excuse as to why it's "Fake", so I'll leave it at that. I will say though, Everyone who should know about Climate change such as scientists, universities, people who are actually paid to study the cause/effect of pollution, they all say there is Climate change. Trump denies it. I get a lot of people are trump supporters... And theres nothing wrong with that, it's a free country. But why take his word for it over not one, but millions of experts? It feels like just because you don't (And him) Understand how something works, it must be "Fake". I believe trump is a denier because he's interested in oil, and it'd affect his Agenda. He's not a dumb guy.

This is a vacuous appeal to authority, a formal fallacy. It is evidence of nothing. It is meaningless.

But even if you don't believe in climate change. Why pollute our world with plastic? All the plastic that gets into the ocean kills all the fish / wild life, Something we as humans have been over farming. In your life time, maybe not even in your kids lifetime, but probably in your grandkids lifetime it's going to be a huge problem. You can be selfish and say thats their problem, believe somehow science will come up with a solution before it is a problem, or... whatever you want. No one is forcing you to recycle, or care about the planet. But if someone else comes here looking for advice on how to... there's no point in ridiculing them about it.

Belief? This has absolutely noting to do with belief. It has to to with actual evidence, an actual hypothesis, and a critical experiment. You might want to research those terms.

The point, which seems to have scooted right by you, is that no matter what anyone or everyone does with their scrap plastic ir won't have any effect whatsoever on anything. While it might make you feel all warm and fuzzy to do whatever it is you do with your garbage, the ball of dirt upon which we ride will continue its journey regardless or your actions. You and your laughable efforts have no effect.

bannertime

While you're in the mood I've got a couple of grapefruit rinds filled with coffee grounds that might interest you as well.

Why do some of you obsess about tossing your trash in the trash? Not matter what you do with these chunks of plastic or anything else for that matter, recycle, heave them into the dumpster, send them to some third world hell-hole, you're not going to have any effect on anything. Absolutely none. Zero. Zip. Nada.You're not 'saving the planet' [which isn't and has never been in need saving] or whatever goody two-shoes thing you think that you're doing, rather you're acting like fools.

I've always thought you were well educated, but unless this is some form of advanced sarcasm, you've lost all credibility. Maybe it's all just vocabulary. I know you don't need my approval or even care about any one's opinion here, but your comment does warrant a response. With your depressive thought process we might as well let all of our primal instinct take over. What's the use of living like a civilized community if nothing we do affects the world?

So tell me, just how is this planet different in any substantial way from what it was in the past? I'm experiencing my 8th decade here on Urth and I see no noteworthy difference in any aspect of this planet over that time.

Do you have any actual evidence that supports your global warming/climate change/whatever position. This means real live evidence not projections generated via computerized modeling. Do you have a falsifiable hypothesis? A critical experiment than confirms your hypothesis? If so trot it out. If not, put a sock in it.

Climate has been changing since there's been climate. Do you pose that there is some climate state that is optimum? If you pose that the human race is somehow responsible for whatever change might be occurring then it's incumbent upon you to demonstrate what the climate would be if there were no human race? For extra credit then demonstrate that whichever way the climate might be moving is bad.

Until you demonstrate these things you have nothing. Put up or shut up.

Ok, it's not sarcasm. So since this was originally talking about global waste; it's undeniable that we produce a lot of it. Believe it or not, your life isn't even a spec on Earth's radar. However, just like water carves a path, all our combined, short lives, have an effect on this planet. You're old enough that you might remember such things as people dying from smog poisoning and acid rain. Products of human's industrial revolution. While tens of thousands are small in the eyes of our population, they were deaths that didn't have to happen. Had regulations and the general attitude not changed, it's hard to deny that those things would still be relevant. People dying as the result of our waste. People having a negative affect on their climate. So while throwing plastic tube ends into a landfill may not be an issue today, why leave it to be a problem of the future when we can do something about it now? Whether it helps one family in a third world country, or gets turned into ink cartridges, or maybe even a life saving clip for a tourniquet, it's all better than sitting in a rotting landfill.

I personally don't believe the climate change is as big an issues as it's made to seem. I couldn't care less if we have an ice age or California gets lost in the ocean. Even if we lost a bit of coastal line in Texas. I think the Earth is due for a big shake up anyway. However, as much as I don't care, the reasoning for projections is because here on Earth, things happen in centuries and millenniums. We've hardly begun collecting data on our Earth. Just from the short time that we have, there is already concern. Concern doesn't mean they are right. Should we just ignore them? No. We're not talking throwing moth balls in the gas tank. We're talking about changing small things that will have positive effects. What good does it have for the world if we continue to burn stuff? Nothing. What bad will come of switching to sustainable energy? Nothing, except maybe a few birds die. Now, I'm not going to go out and buy an electric car because the technology is too pricey. My exhaust pollutants have such a minuscule effect, but my trash last decades if not centuries. I will gladly recycle plastic, cardboard, paper, and glass because it's easy enough. If you could, for a moment, think beyond your tiny world, people will continue to live in your waste. Do them a small favor and clean up after yourself. So it's not so much about saving the planet, as it will survive with our without us. It's about saving our future from us.

Pippin Decals

WOW ! what the heck happen to the original conversation that started on here lol..... Everyone is at blame for whats going ,If you drive a vehicle ,ride a bus ,take a taxi, cook your own food or not , but clothes etc .You are contributing to mother earth in some way . If you make signs,banners etc you are contributing to any damage that is going on because a manufacturer has to use gas,fuel,oil etc to make your product in some way or another and when your product gets torn down and thrown away in the dump ,you made that sign and you addded to dump site because you produced that product lol,,, So everyone will always be at fault and it will never get better etc.... Plain and simple... Im not going to into this conversation anymore than i have mentioned lol...Because honestly im living my life how ever i need to lol.. Lets just get along .Why cant we be friends lol haha.

SIGNTIME

Haha I love when I hear people upset that we pulled out of the Paris deal... if you really cared you would agree with pulling out of the deal that doesn't require China to reduce emissions and lets Russia increase its greenhouse emissions 150%.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
ANYWAY....we use them for storage by screwing them down to MDO planks....here's a couple shots of ours, with older spacers.
Sorry, room was dark.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 328
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 360

ikarasu

I've found there's people who strongly agree with climate change, and people who strongly disagree. Odds of me changing your mind about it, are about as good as you changing mine.

So let's just agree to disagree, and leave it at that... This Is a sign forum after all, not a politics or geology class.

Back on topic... We usually recycle them. Not sure why your recycling plant won't take it, or how recycling stations are in America... But ours will take anything that's recyclable for free, including appliances and TV's and stuff. They've never had a problem with the spacers.

The only thing they won't take is backing paper because of all the wax on it... We've given some to painters for drop cloths, some rolls to schools for art projects... use some as packaging material, it was great for when I moved a house full of stuff! But We still end up throwing away a ton of rolls at the end of the month.

bob

I've found there's people who strongly agree with climate change, and people who strongly disagree. Odds of me changing your mind about it, are about as good as you changing mine.

So let's just agree to disagree, and leave it at that... This Is a sign forum after all, not a politics or geology class..

The typical last words of one who has no argument, no sustainable position, and has just realized it.

ikarasu

The typical last words of one who has no argument, no sustainable position, and has just realized it.

Not really. I just don't believe this is the place to discuss it. If you want to continue this topic, feel free to open a new thread in the off topic forums (does the site even have off topic? If not I guess general would do) and I'll gladly join in, or take it up in message if you'd prefer.

I have no qualms discussing or debating any topic I believe in, so long as it's civil, and reasonable. I just don't want to derail the thread anymore. It's not fair to the OP, or anyone else who clicks in here expecting to see an exciting project for some useless plastic, and end up with 20 minutes of climate change / non change discussion.

So that's the last I say of it in here, feel free to say I lost or whatever, means nothing to me! And as I said, if you care to keep the conversation going, feel free to open a new thread and I'll pop in.

equippaint

Peoples stance on climate chance is irrelevant to me from a business standpoint and the Paris Accord has great economic implications. No matter what side of the aisle you are on, the USA needs to stay up with energy technology at the very least. The citizens of the USA should be pushing as much as they can to be at the forefront of this major worldwide movement and sadly there is much resistance. This isn't about climate change in my eyes, its about maintaining control and technological leadership in one of the most profitable and highest consumed commodities in the world. If we keep making knee jerk decisions based on personal principals, we are going to be left behind. Our economy has shifted and has become dependent on selling technology and finance rather than a huge manufacturing base. If we sit back and allow others to beat us, in 20-30 years we will be in some serious trouble with little left to sell. Japan did not hurt us overnight in the automobile game, it took about 20 years. All the while we sat back and made fun of their cars, whined when they made fun of our cup holders but never took a leadership role and remained complacent. We could have squashed them but we didn't. I get annoyed seeing all of the foreign cars because we made it happen and its a bell weather for the future. That's my 2 cents.

Vinyldog

While you're in the mood I've got a couple of grapefruit rinds filled with coffee grounds that might interest you as well.

Why do some of you obsess about tossing your trash in the trash? Not matter what you do with these chunks of plastic or anything else for that matter, recycle, heave them into the dumpster, send them to some third world hell-hole, you're not going to have any effect on anything. Absolutely none. Zero. Zip. Nada.You're not 'saving the planet' [which isn't and has never been in need saving] or whatever goody two-shoes thing you think that you're doing, rather you're acting like fools.

A better question would be, why does it bother you so much Bob? It affects you in no way. You would like to think you know it all. But, you don't know that I don't have access to a dumpster at my shop, because there is no place to put one. You don't know that there is a limit to how much residential trash service will pick-up, and I that I constantly need to dispose of the by-products of my business in every way possible just to get rid of it. In my case it has little to do with saving the planet. It has to do with deposing of the trash I make in the most efficient way.
That being said, If something can be used a second time it only makes sense to do it.
You post derogatory reply's like this constantly Bob, because you are so desperate to show how much you know. But mostly you just show what you don't know.
This is place for people to exchange information about the sign business, so let's do that and leave the petty bickering to the youngsters.

bob

A better question would be, why does it bother you so much Bob? It affects you in no way. You would like to think you know it all. But, you don't know that I don't have access to a dumpster at my shop, because there is no place to put one. You don't know that there is a limit to how much residential trash service will pick-up, and I that I constantly need to dispose of the by-products of my business in every way possible just to get rid of it. In my case it has little to do with saving the planet. It has to do with deposing of the trash I make in the most efficient way.
That being said, If something can be used a second time it only makes sense to do it.
You post derogatory reply's like this constantly Bob, because you are so desperate to show how much you know. But mostly you just show what you don't know.
This is place for people to exchange information about the sign business, so let's do that and leave the petty bickering to the youngsters.

Bother me? Perhaps but then stupidity bothers me. As it should you or anyone wrangling more than a handful of functioning brain cells.

Derogatory? It's sarcasm sport, apparently something tight-asses such as yourself have some difficulty recognizing.

And, 'this place', being public forum, is for whatever I want it to be. Be that information, or tweaking delicate sensibilities, or pointing out asininity when it occurs. When it's your turn to post you get to post what you want. When it's my turn to post I get to post what I want. My lack of interest in whether or not whatever that might be meets your standards approaches total.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
You guys are off point. Whether the climate is changing or not is not what the op asked about. Bob, why is it that every time someone gets on here and asks if anyone has any ideas for use of a byproduct, you add a zero value comment like "Chuck it in the dumpster."

Of course that's what most of us do with it, otherwise we wouldn't be asking for other ideas. I'm not sure I have seen anyone get on here and ask "What can I do with this stack of 24x18" aluminum blanks, or how do us use this 23ft roll of 54" white vinyl?"

We shouldn't take a short sighted approach to our waste. Ford turned the woods scraps of the model t into Kingsford charcoal, hog farms thrive outside of Las Vegas, and Rockefeller stopped dumping kerosene byproducts into the river and used it to power his equipment (gasoline). Not to mention plastics, Vaseline, etc.

We have a giant recycling dumpster out front that we chuck way too much material in. By definition, an entrepreneur seeks to find value in that byproduct.

Profit can be green, or any other color for that matter, but what it's not is waste!

Last edited: