• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Prep Corrugated Plastic For Led Uv Printing

AJB

I am new to UV printing, and have recently had problems with my ink not adhering to corrugated plastic signs. I have tried various prep methods, as well printer settings and have had various amounts of success. But recently have had a few customer come in and tell me there signs are flaking apart after only a month or so. I have recently done a a bunch of tests and have them out in the Florida weather and sun to see what give me the best results.

I am really looking for some insight from some of the experienced users as to the best prep method and any other tips people may have, that will help create a better product (a little sooner then waiting months to see what lasts the longest.

With corrugated do you meen like this?:
bebcd581a0f6702e4e930c016b49968a.jpg

Or like this?:

images

I guess that if it is like the top picture that the inks dont get cured properly because of the shape of the plastic.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Also ensure that your media is corona treated, preferably within the last 90 days as it wears off over time.
The big dollar alternative is to fork out for a corona treatment machine, but could prove worthwhile if you print onto a wide variety of plastic substrates.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
all coroplast I printed on our UV flatbed was cleaned with a scott-towel (the blue ones) soaked in 99% isopropyl alcohol (not 70%)

Never had a problem with ink coming off.

What printer is it?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Since, not all printers are created equal, can you enlighten us as to what machine you have, what process(s) you are using for cleaning and perhaps what ink you are using.

What you said is like saying, I'm new to going out to eat, what food is good ??

ikarasu

What you said is like saying, I'm new to going out to eat, what food is good ??

I suggest Chipotle. Though it's probably pretty adventurous for the first timer. :p

On a related note... I agree. It all depends on the printer and printer inks. If your using cheap coro... that could also be the reason why. Just like everything else, you get what you pay for - And to help more, we'd need to know which printer you use, what brand ink, coro, and process your using.

Are your lamps past the expiration date? If so they wont cure as good, and can cause it to flake off pre-mature.