• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Pricing various CNC items

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If your cutting 1mm pvc sheet look into a roller die machine with a pin registered steel rule die.. that'd cut the pvc in about 15 seconds or less. I do 500 4mil decals in half an hour leisurely... I cut them 12 at a time - thats 12 layers of vinyl & backer or about .125". Die cuts bog down at more than 1/8" thick tho. 1mm pvc cuts like butter.

roller die machines are anywhere from $300 to $5000 on ebay. you can get manual or electric. dies are cheap.. 12"x12" with ejection padding, registration pins, and steel ramps cost me about $100-200 with two day production.
I think I could use one of these.
We do a couple of 100 shelf wobblers a month and the material is just a little too thick to cut with a plotter.
The shape is pretty simple (box with a "T" shaped tab on top to fit the shelf rail) but take too long to cut by hand.
Where do you get your steel rule dies made? Any particular brand of roller machine to recommend? I don't need anything high volume or electric to start out with.

Thanks
wayne k
guam usa

player

I would think the efficiency of the CNC would also affect the rate. If your $5k machine goes against a $75k machine and your hourly rates are the same, the more expensive machine may produce faster with less setup and cleanup.

printhog

I think I could use one of these.
We do a couple of 100 shelf wobblers a month and the material is just a little too thick to cut with a plotter.
The shape is pretty simple (box with a "T" shaped tab on top to fit the shelf rail) but take too long to cut by hand.
Where do you get your steel rule dies made? Any particular brand of roller machine to recommend? I don't need anything high volume or electric to start out with.

Thanks
wayne k
guam usa

i use apple die apple die Steel Rule Dies Manufacturer | Apple Steel Rule Die in WI, MA & FL and a chinese made 30" roller die press.. basically it's a like a laminator with top and bottom rollers chained together and a fixed gap between the top and bottom rollers that is equal to EXACTLY the die plus the backer sheet. .. a die is made with registration pins to keep stock in place, they depress when processed. the media is loaded between the dies and a backer plate of cardstock or soft wood/plastic.. as the die moves thru the rollers, the steel rules cut the media. so freaking simple that its embarrassing.

there are craft version on walmart.com and pro versions on places like Roller Press..

Last edited:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
i use apple die apple die Steel Rule Dies Manufacturer | Apple Steel Rule Die in WI, MA & FL and a chinese made 30" roller die press.. basically it's a like a laminator with top and bottom rollers chained together and a fixed gap between the top and bottom rollers that is equal to EXACTLY the die plus the backer sheet. .. a die is made with registration pins to keep stock in place, they depress when processed. the media is loaded between the dies and a backer plate of cardstock or soft wood/plastic.. as the die moves thru the rollers, the steel rules cut the media. so freaking simple that its embarrassing.

there are craft version on walmart.com and pro versions on places like Roller Press..

Thank you

wayne k
guam usa

Gary Wiant

I'm watching this post as well I'm waiting on our building to be finished to move our new "used" router in & set it up.

Gary