• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print stopped. Rip software is closed. No error messages. Damn Win update!

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
I do not leave my printer print by itself but sometimes I gotta print so much I have no other choice.
For this I have a camera set up looking at the printer. I can log in to my computer and see what's going on.
Well, this is the 2nd or 3rd time that the printer stops. No head strike. The pc shows no error. The rip software is closed. I tried to see if there was any problem or system errors but I couldn't find anything. Then I looked up how to see when did windows restarted the last time and that was it. Pc restarted for some reason. Why? Because of the freaking automatic updates! I tried to change the windows updates but in win 10 they do not let you turn off the updates nor let you chose what time and date it will run. You can only chose what is the computer's active hours. But you can only set it to max 12 hours. so you can not set the active hours to, lets sat: 5am to 12am.
I did some digging around and you can set these up in Group Policy.
hit windows key+R
type gpedit.msc
Administrative Templates > Windows Components> Windows Updates
better if you just google how to turn off windows updates in group policy
I hope it works.
Not even sure how much money I just lost. I will check the printer tomorrow.
Did this happen to you? Did you know about the problem?

WildWestDesigns

This (among other things) is fairly well known and it is the main reason why I had switched all my computers to run Linux on bare metal with VMs of Windows, so that way I can deny internet access to the VMs. No worry about updates.

For those that run Windows 7 and/or 8.1 that have the most recent version(s), I do believe the same issue is there as well.

I did see this, but as with all 3rd party solutions, use at your own risk.

In all honesty, my opinion on the matter is, no production rig should have access to the internet. Period, the end. While updates in general can be good, by their very nature they introduce instability into a system. More so with Windows and to be honest, I would expect that give the sheer amount of hardware/software combo that Windows users have. Even Apple has had it's share of update tribulations and I have far less sympathy for them as they have a lock on the hardware side of things compared to MS.

timgo

Graphics Designer
I do not leave my printer print by itself but sometimes I gotta print so much I have no other choice.
For this I have a camera set up looking at the printer. I can log in to my computer and see what's going on.
Well, this is the 2nd or 3rd time that the printer stops. No head strike. The pc shows no error. The rip software is closed. I tried to see if there was any problem or system errors but I couldn't find anything. Then I looked up how to see when did windows restarted the last time and that was it. Pc restarted for some reason. Why? Because of the freaking automatic updates! I tried to change the windows updates but in win 10 they do not let you turn off the updates nor let you chose what time and date it will run. You can only chose what is the computer's active hours. But you can only set it to max 12 hours. so you can not set the active hours to, lets sat: 5am to 12am.
hit windows key+R
type gpedit.msc
I hope it works.

Somthing wrong on your RIP software!!!

- uninstall the RIP software,
- install it again,
- restart your pc,

dypinc

hit windows key+R
type gpedit.msc
I hope it works.

We are forced to run some Windows machines here. The Fiery EX RIP is set at Win 7 and no updates are allowed.

Window 10 running CG RIP Is setup as you suggested it will only ask and then you can cancel it. No rebooting on it own but it does nag you every day. Windows 8.1 running Fiery XF has the Windows updates disabled.

WildWestDesigns

Windows 10 sucks in this way, it's why I wont update past windows 7.

However, all you need to do is mark your connection as "limited", and then it wont download any updates unless you ask it to. Then you can still update whenever you want to, and you wont have it automatically restart on you.

How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates

The metered connection loophole was actually done away with during the Anniversary update. So if someone has the Anniversary update, so setting it on metered wouldn't preclude it from downloading updates.

Also bare in mind, that even before the loophole was closed, it really only applies to wireless connections, not wired.