• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PS and colors

crny1

Hello all,
Most everything I have been doing up till now has been with illustrator. All has been well for the last 3 years. Now I am starting to work in PS for some more robust work but when I go to print to the XC-540 the colors are WAY off ftom the screen. Both monitors are calibrated.
In illustrator most all colors in the swatches are REALLY close to actual print colors. Is there a way to get the swatches in PS to be close to the same? Looking up CMYK numbers for each color is a pain in the ass. Tans look greenish, teals look dark almost black etc etc.
Is there a way to get the cmyk values for the Roland system library printed out to reference? THe printed swatches only cordinate to the swatch library in ILLY.
Trying to get these colors correct or even in the ball park is a real pain. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance!

dale911

President
I don't have a Roland but I am wondering if you are converting the output to cmyk before saving as a PDF. Photoshop natively works in RGB mode. I would bet that you have illustrator defaulting to cmyk mode so you are saving files in two different color profiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoresigns

There are so many possibilities here.
  1. Are you using Ai and Ps on the same computer/monitor?
  2. If you put the same colour into Ai and Ps, do they look the same on-screen? There are many different preview modes that will change the on-screen rendering, as well as video card and OS settings.
  3. Are you saving your final production files in the same colour space from both Ai and Ps?
  4. Are you aware that VersaWorks can apply separate rendering intent settings to raster and vector colours, even within the same file? Raster and vector probably need to be set to the same rendering intent if you want your printed colours from Ai and Ps to be the same.

crny1

To answer some questions:
There are so many possibilities here.
  1. Are you using Ai and Ps on the same computer/monitor?
  2. If you put the same colour into Ai and Ps, do they look the same on-screen? There are many different preview modes that will change the on-screen rendering, as well as video card and OS settings.
  3. Are you saving your final production files in the same colour space from both Ai and Ps?
  4. Are you aware that VersaWorks can apply separate rendering intent settings to raster and vector colours, even within the same file? Raster and vector probably need to be set to the same rendering intent if you want your printed colours from Ai and Ps to be the same.
1. AI and PS are on the same computer with dual monitors. Both calibrated.
2. colors look the same on the screen.
3. not sure what you mean by colour space? Files are saved in the same folder then loaded into versaworks from there.
4. Where do you tell versa how to render the file and distiguish between vector and raster? Maybe this is where my problem lies.
On screen vs what prints is what is totally different. Its like I have to print, adjust color slightly, print again and see if I am closer, adjust, print and so on.

dale911

President
Are you saving everything as cmyk or rgb? I would put money on it that you are running 2 different adobe color profiles in the software before you ever get it to your rip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoresigns

3. In Ai/Ps, colour space is the ICC profile that your document is working in (US Web Coated SWOP v2 and sRGB are the most common). Your working files and your production files each can optionally have an ICC profile saved inside them. I'm pretty sure Versaworks also has the ability to take these profiles into account or ignore them. So if Versaworks is reading them, they need to be the same on your production files that come from Ai and Ps.
4. Check page 1 of this PDF. http://support.rolanddga.com/docs/d...r_management_presets_in_roland_versaworks.pdf If your raster and vector settings are different, a raster CMYK image of 0.100.100.0 and a vector CMYK object of 0.100.100.0 may print differently, even within the same file.

crny1

When in PS and I chose "save as" ICC Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 is check marked as well as layers.
In versa the profile for the media I am using is showing CMYKLcLm(v). This is not changeable by my as its greyed out. Could this be it? The profile?

shoresigns

I should have looked closer at that PDF file I posted—just below your raster/vector settings in Colour Management, there's a setting called Use Embedded ICC Profile. If you just turn that off, then you shouldn't have to worry about what ICC profiles you use in Ps and Ai. As long as you're working in CMYK in both or RGB in both, and you're not converting when you export your production files, your colours should print the same if you've set them to the same RGB or CMYK values. Unless there's something we're still missing, like if you're using spot colours or you're printing with different media profiles or something.

Also, feel free to post any files you're having problems with if you want us to have a look.

crny1

Yep.....changing the color managment options did it. Thanks for all the help!! I assumed (big mistake) that normal settings that I use with a AI file would work.......
Thanks again.