• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quick Gemini job....................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This place was only about 15 minutes from the shop, but from the time I got there, talked to the people in charge, got their instructions as to where on the canopy the letters go, until I took my last picture, packed up and got paid, it took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Drilled out about 90 holes and used a combo pad and stud setup with 4" studs.

Patterns was dead balls on, but their wall had been patched by someone who wasn't very good, which made some of the letters look a little odd. However, I pointed that out to them before I started and manged to make them look fairly decent. When they came out, they loved it and said,who cares if a letter is slightly twisted. I hafta agree, but I like making things known beforehand.
pattern.jpg
pattern closeup of holes.jpg
some letters up.jpg
finished.jpg
finished dif angle.jpg

Another job which the bucket truck made super easy.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
super-high-platform-shoes.jpeg
Nice work Gino.
Those seem a little low to use a bucket truck on.
I'm thinking I wouldn't have needed the truck.

wayne k
guam usa

dale911

President
You may not "need" the truck on a job like that but the time saved by not running up and down a ladder and moving it around is well worth using the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You may not "need" the truck on a job like that but the time saved by not running up and down a ladder and moving it around is well worth using the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got that right. At my age, I don't feel like muscling around an extension ladder 50 times. That's why God invented bucket trucks...... for old f*cks like me to do easy work.

As for the shop time, the pricing was all arranged beforehand. I got a deposit some months ago, waited for the weather to be to my liking and got the balance when they came out and looked at it.

Not many people will let ya work on something without knowing what it's gonna cost upfront. I got there at quarter of 12 and was leaving at 2. The hardest part was drilling those holes. The rest was easy. Went down and glued up 5 letters at a time and boomed them up, slid them on and that sh!t stuck within a few minutes. 1/2 a tube, and that was being generous.

JohnBFryJr

I like doing Gemini letters. And I use the bucket truck for pretty much everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Let's not exaggerate - you drilled about 70 holes, not 90. :p

You mentioned twisted letters due to the wall.....It might not seem like it would make much of a difference, but the pattern looks really loose. The location of the holes can easily be 1/8" to 1/4" off if your pattern isn't tight.

And agreed on the bucket truck...doing this kind of an install off a ladder stinks. A scaffold is a decent option if you don't have a bucket truck.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually, you're right, it wasn't 90..... it was 82 all total. Felt like 182. :p The pattern not being 100% tight had nothing to do with how lousy the canopy was patched. Hell, some holes didn't drill at all for whatever reason.... or all the way in, so I cut those studs off and relied on the pads and glue alone. The letters all worked out fine. Done enough of these things over the years to know how things work and 100% tight is nice, but not at all necessary. When you have a patch on a wall, that sticks out 1/4" on a slant, it's gonna skew with the adhesion or angle of the piece. Not my fault. :eek: