• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland XR-640 printing slowly

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I know this has been discussed before, and even with different models, the information is the same but I can't find the thread I was looking for. I am running an XR from a pretty fast computer through Ethernet. I don't know the specifics, but if you guys told me what I needed to check, I can relay the information to my computer guy. The rip is fine, but the print head pauses on both ends sometimes and makes a fast printer slow to a crawl.

euronymous

Are you RIPping while printing? If RIPping and printing the printer can pause sometimes while the RIP plays catch up. RIP then PRINT

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would try a new Ethernet cable and check the router if you use one. Also, check to see if your overprint settings got changed by accident. There is a specific overprint setting that allows you to make it pause between passes on purpose. If that got changed, it could be causing the issue. Normally these issues have to do with network settings and hardware though.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
is it pausing on both ends of the print pass on every pass, or only occasionally?

It is both ends but not every pass, and generally more noticeable on the big files, however I am running a small file right now and it is pausing.

I would try a new Ethernet cable and check the router if you use one. Also, check to see if your overprint settings got changed by accident. There is a specific overprint setting that allows you to make it pause between passes on purpose. If that got changed, it could be causing the issue. Normally these issues have to do with network settings and hardware though.

I definitely think it is a hardware/network issue, but I don't know where to look. I will try another cable, but I don't think that is the issue, as I have printed without issue not that long ago. I looked at my settings and didn't see any pauses set up.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you can, see if it works from another computer. That will help isolate where the issue might be. If it's still slow, it has to do with the cable or printer hardware. If it works fine, something is wrong on the computer side. Also, if you use a router, try hooking directly to the computer. This will work with any cable if your operating system is Windows Vista or higher and will require a cross over cable if you have Vista or lower.

If the issue is on the computer side, it may just be time for a new network card or a computer upgrade. If it's on the printer side, it could be a bad main board or on board memory issue.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Does this happen regardless of profile used?
Yes, it doesn't matter what profile. It really gets confusing when it starts a print, pausing on both ends, then halfway through prints normal. I really do think it is network related, but I don't know where to tell my computer guy to look.