Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roland XR-640 printing slowly

Discussion in 'Roland' started by ChaseO, Jul 10, 2017.

1. ChaseO

ChaseO Member

May 3, 2012
    Hey guys, I know this has been discussed before, and even with different models, the information is the same but I can't find the thread I was looking for. I am running an XR from a pretty fast computer through Ethernet. I don't know the specifics, but if you guys told me what I needed to check, I can relay the information to my computer guy. The rip is fine, but the print head pauses on both ends sometimes and makes a fast printer slow to a crawl.

Tags:
  2. euronymous

euronymous Member

Mar 20, 2017
    ><
    Are you RIPping while printing? If RIPping and printing the printer can pause sometimes while the RIP plays catch up. RIP then PRINT

3. ChaseO

ChaseO Member

May 3, 2012
    No, I have it set to rip, then print. Thank you for your response.

4. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    is it pausing on both ends of the print pass on every pass, or only occasionally?

5. VanderJ

VanderJ Take two Dampers and Call me in the Morning

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I would try a new Ethernet cable and check the router if you use one. Also, check to see if your overprint settings got changed by accident. There is a specific overprint setting that allows you to make it pause between passes on purpose. If that got changed, it could be causing the issue. Normally these issues have to do with network settings and hardware though.

6. ChaseO

ChaseO Member

May 3, 2012
    It is both ends but not every pass, and generally more noticeable on the big files, however I am running a small file right now and it is pausing.

I definitely think it is a hardware/network issue, but I don't know where to look. I will try another cable, but I don't think that is the issue, as I have printed without issue not that long ago. I looked at my settings and didn't see any pauses set up.

7. VanderJ

VanderJ Take two Dampers and Call me in the Morning

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    If you can, see if it works from another computer. That will help isolate where the issue might be. If it's still slow, it has to do with the cable or printer hardware. If it works fine, something is wrong on the computer side. Also, if you use a router, try hooking directly to the computer. This will work with any cable if your operating system is Windows Vista or higher and will require a cross over cable if you have Vista or lower.

If the issue is on the computer side, it may just be time for a new network card or a computer upgrade. If it's on the printer side, it could be a bad main board or on board memory issue.

8. Behrmon

Behrmon Premium Subscriber

Apr 9, 2015
    RI
    Does this happen regardless of profile used?

9. ChaseO

ChaseO Member

May 3, 2012
    Yes, it doesn't matter what profile. It really gets confusing when it starts a print, pausing on both ends, then halfway through prints normal. I really do think it is network related, but I don't know where to tell my computer guy to look.

10. Roland Product Support

Roland Product Support Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Irvine, CA
    Hey ChaseO,

If you've resolved the issue, then great! However, if you still need assistance, please considering working directly with Roland corporate support by submitting an "official" support request form online here: https://www.rolanddga.com/support/product-support-form

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
    Roland DGA Corp.
    rn