• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Second design challenge.

SignManiac

I'll post it today so that more people can participate if they need more time to play. Take all week if you want. No budget - blank check - full artistic license....

Task:

Design a free standing monument for a doctors office. Any shape or size.

Main Message below.

Pediatric Care Center
Walk In Clinic for infants, Children & Teens
Incorporate the street # 3541 somewhere on the sign.
Use any kind of appropriate graphic if you like.

Two doctors names:
Alfred E. Newman, M.D.
Dennis T. Mennis, M.D.

hours are Mon - Fri 8am - 6pm
phone number 555-666-7777

(REMEMBER TO TIME HOW LONG YOU PUT INTO IT and post the software you used) including tweaks before posting your final design.

Don't make this a race but lets see what you get based on the time you put in...

MOST IMPORTANT RULE, have fun:thankyou:

Last edited:

SignManiac

I'll get it started... 38 minutes done in CorelDraw X3 I used PhotoPaint and Alien effects textures to do the brick base. Tried to keep with kid friendly color scheme.

Attachments

• Pediatric Care Center.jpg
    Pediatric Care Center.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 305

p3

I like it, and I like that its not all symetrical. The only thing that really doesn't float my boat is the hours and phone number. I don't think that necessarily needs the number and stuff since its a "walk in" clinic. lol I guess its just a made up deal, but seems like that info would be on the door or something.

SignManiac

That is an excellent point. Everyone else feel free to omit that information if you agree with P3. We need to realize that often its our job to edit the copy if we are to design the most effective sign for the customer. We're suppose to be the professionals so give your best expert advice to the client.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Reality would be...

Review Sign Code and Master Sign program - 1.0 hours
Review Survey and architecture - .5 - 1.0 hours
Logo and supporting materials - .5 - 1.0 hours
Design in presentation form for client review - 1.0 - 2.0 hours

This sign is a rejected design, so it took about 30 minutes in Illustrator W/CadTools

Attachments

• PEDIATRIC CARE.jpg
    PEDIATRIC CARE.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 225

SignManiac

Nice design Rick, you ever think about writing a book :) I'm sure happy I don't often have to deal with all that reality stuff!

Fatboy nice effort! I like the heart concept...Good job.

SignManiac

I whipped up one more just to show how diverse the designs can run... This one also took about 30 minutes. Funny but when you're in the zone, the designs just appear out of thin air!

Attachments

• Pediatric Care Center2.jpg
    Pediatric Care Center2.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:

SignManiac

I apologize. I just went back and made a one minute tweak...changed the base to stone. My one fault is I'm never satisfied...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hummmm..... I think somebody was watching me.

sign matchup.jpg
I did this in four and a half minutes. Photoshop without using clone tools, erasers or paint brushes. I was inspired by years of looking over shoulders................. :rock-n-roll:

omgsideburns

I never do dimensional signage so here goes.

Shapes, gradients, etc.. in Signlab, made presentable in photoshop.. maybe 40 minutes of actual work.

Attachments

• myturn.jpg
    myturn.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 285

SignManiac

Both show lots of potential with a few minor tweaks. I'm pleasantly surprised at the variety of shapes you guys are coming up with. Nice change from squares and rectangles.

Good job on both and love your colors Gino!

p3

OMGSIDEBURNS - I like the idea on yours. Maybe change the red tho. Looks a lot like an emergency room rather than a walk in clinic lol. Ambulances racing to the actual hospital may turn in.

SignManiac - Like the second rendition a lot better. I like the colors along with the older style light, like colonial, you have on it.

Ive never done dimensional stuff so I'll stick to seeing whats done and critiquing hahaha.

SignManiac

As Rick points out, in the real world a lot of your design work will be dictated by other parameters. Building architecture, competing signs, permit restrictions and requirements, and a whole slew of other variables. Fortunately, we are free here to do whatever the hell we like :) These are the perfect jobs because we can call all the shots in our perfect little classroom !

p3

What would be cool is if we did these where it was like actual everyday jobs that one of us gets, with the source files we are givin to work with and the actual parameters. Because rarely are we givin the opportunity to do whatever we like hah. But to see how someone takes a certain set of "rules" and bends them to make them their own. Also would give different ideas on how to approach certain jobs to make our work stand out over someone elses.

SignManiac

I agree it would be cool but, I think it would limit the wide variety of designs which is kind of the point of this exercise. This is more to encourage thinking outside the box.

But...it might not be a bad idea to try one to see how that shakes out? P3 maybe you could put together the specs for it on the next design challenge? I'm up for anything personally. Its all good!

TheSellOut

Designed in Adobe Illustrator.
Layout 40 minutes

These challenges are fun and educational...I'm glad to see them back! Good work you Maniac.

Man, for some reason my colors are always so bright after I upload them?!

Attachments

• PCC.jpg
    PCC.jpg
    750.8 KB · Views: 277