• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

separate contour cut question

gabagoo

I had a job where the client wanted the same logo in different sizes and different colour combinations. After setting up the file in Signlab, I exported to Flexi and set up a contour cut and everything for one logo. I then arranged all the different sizes, so I could print once for each colour change. After running the first set when I went in to change colours, the contour cut seems to group everything preventing me from isolating different colours for changing. I selected the separate contour cut option and then I could do whatever I wanted and made the changes...I printed 4 more panels.
When it came time to cut, all the cutlines were off and I knew something was wrong when the Summa opus was looking for registration marks about an inch farther than it should have. Is this normal when you seperate the contour cut? Was I supposed to somehow re attach the contour cut ( although I have no idea how)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How wide and long is you job ?? In inches, please. Also, how intricate or simple were the cuts ??

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I had a job where the client wanted the same logo in different sizes and different colour combinations. After setting up the file in Signlab, I exported to Flexi and set up a contour cut and everything for one logo. I then arranged all the different sizes, so I could print once for each colour change. After running the first set when I went in to change colours, the contour cut seems to group everything preventing me from isolating different colours for changing. I selected the separate contour cut option and then I could do whatever I wanted and made the changes...I printed 4 more panels.
When it came time to cut, all the cutlines were off and I knew something was wrong when the Summa opus was looking for registration marks about an inch farther than it should have. Is this normal when you seperate the contour cut? Was I supposed to somehow re attach the contour cut ( although I have no idea how)
If I recall, Flexi sets up the Contour Cuts like an outline, so you have to separate it from the piece you're working on. I think the function to do that is under Effects, but I don't have Flexi on the machine I'm working on.

gabagoo

The job was actually not big at all..maybe 50" x 30" with about 25 logos on the page. the cut is a simple oval. I always set up in Signlab and send across as I am much faster using that software. I forgot to mention something else and that was that on some of the lettering on the logo it had a stroke around it and when shrinking sizes the stroke remained constant so after separating contour cut I also converted all stroke data to outlines. I am now reprinting, but doing each size change individually which makes a lot more work when it comes time to cut, but the customer is a bit angry about this and wants everything ready Wednesday.

bannertime

That was a bit more than I wanted to read, but basically what I'd do is: make one copy of the logo for every size and color change. Make all your changes. Then add your contour cut line to each version, one at a time. Do a step and repeat for each version to get the quantity you need. Now you'll have everything setup nicely. Make the canvas the size of your print/cut working space and nest everything together. Print, setup your marks for your machines, and go.

It is possible to "select within" groups in Flexi, so you may have luck trying that.

With Graphtecs, if I tell it to use the automatic marks on a short print, sometimes it gets confused and I have to switch it to regular mark 1, one in each corner.

Also, when dealing with strokes, if they weren't expanded or converted to paths in the other program, i.e. Flexi sees a path and puts a stroke on it, then it may not scale properly. Also won't allow proper cut lines.

Sando

18 Years and Counting...
Flexi can and will change contour cut to match the stroke when all effects are appearing on the same object. To avoid this use the paste over command for the piece you want cut and then it wont become confused with the overprint as it will be a separate object. I don't know why they have never fixed this but they haven't. I also go farther and have all of my overprint converted from stroke to a outlines and then welded so that it will appear only as if it were an outline, though it is a solid piece underneath. When making complex multi color designs with overprint and cuts I end up making a solid cut layer and then having all of the colors and overprint on a separate layer underneath, then I can just pull the color out and convert that to a cutline without messing with the complicated setup underneath. Clear as mud? Flexi will also mess up stroke widths on it's own if you don't outline them. I will look right on screen and then when you print it will be thin or thick depending on if you sized it up or down. When you are getting tricky it is best to build your file for overprint and cut prior to bringing it into flexi.

Last edited: