• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Should I Put An Edge Cap On This?

RyanT

Director of Entropy
I just finished the reflective vinyl on a few MDO signs - I used Oralite 5300 on MDO, the MDO edges are caulked and received two coats of enamel before applying the vinyl. The vinyl is wrapped around the edges with an additional 1in on the backside.

I tried to do my best wrapping the corners but, well, some corners turned out better than others. These signs are event signs, so they will go up and come down twice a year for 4 weeks each time, which includes a lot of handling.

Should I silicone a vinyl or PVC edge cap around the edges and corners? I'm not a huge fan of how a white or black edge might look on these, but I'm concerned water will get in at the corners and lift the whole background. There is enough space around the text to allow a 1/2in border, I guess the only reasons I don't want to add the edge is the appearance and cost.

So, should I use an edge cap, leave it as is, or do something else?

uc

printhog

Edges look great! I'd consider some clear edge cap as customers will be handling these much more than typical signs. Event signs always get more abuse. A clear protective edge cap would be a nice gesture for your client, but I'd charge for that. The old signwriter's pricing guides used to call for $1.50 per perimeter foot for capping if I recall.

its only a freaking sign!

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Nice job on the edges..... yes, they will be abused, way more than you think. They will be sat on the ground against stones, or on tailgates with sharp edges, or dropped on a rock.... it's a jungle out their..... with an edge cap, it will be abused beyond repair, unless it's nondestructible material.... tough call.... I never cap any MDO.... caulk and paint are the best I will do.... just never seems worth it in the end. Sure, your work looks great, but, you know what it's gonna look like in the end.... My mentor 40 years ago said, "Mr. Bradley, it's a commercial sign, and your not Picasso"....

We offer edge caps to the customer up front as an added upgrade and charge $2 per linear foot. Personally, I'd say these will be fine. If the customer doesn't handle them well, it's really on them. But I'd definitely try to up sell your customers on the edge cap from the start. I really like the look of a nice edge cap on an otherwise plain sign panel. I know it's a little off topic, but I always try to incorporate a border into my layouts when possible, too. I think borders make a much nicer looking sign especially if you're not using edge caps.

skyhigh

Ryan, you are over-thinking this one. They are fine the way they are. Calked, 2 coats of enamel and wrapped with vinyl is overkill, and much better than capping. Any capping you use, the handlers will crack or tear off with the abuse. Furthermore, all the more these will be exposed to the weather, they will last for years.

Decent job with the vinyl edge wrap.

Johnny Best

I agree with skyhigh, they look great the way they are, that edge cap will be cracked, missing pieces after the first move and look worse than without it.
They will be fine, relax, you did a good job.

signgirl

I'm definitely not knocking the way a individual finishes edges of mdo but I've been doing mdo signs for over 30 years and all I've ever done was a quick sanding, prime and one finish coat and never have had a problem. Trim cap is a nice finish but I guess not many of my customers wanted it.

Billct2

Maybe I'm the odd man out here, but my first question would be why MDO?
Second why wrap the edges at all? Especially if they are getting handled that much, they will probably get torn up.

reQ

I never wrap the edges... for some reason i don't think its going to hold for a long time. Much easier for water & crap to get in & it will start peeling... but maybe its just me

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you're over-thinking this at all. It shows you are of a 'dying breed'. Someone who cares about their customers..... and their craftsmanship.

I'm old school, so I've always thought a sign that has a border, stripe, pinstripe or frame of some sort always makes it look finished. Over the years, I did so many MDO boards... or what we used to call Duraply, and we finished the edges with filler for the voids, primer and several top coats. They never came apart. Once we got to edge capping, I just used to put it on and use a brad every so often to make sure they didn't come off. In the 90's when we got into digital printing, we took the print out to within an 1/8" of the edge and still used the same edging process and it held up just fine. Moving ahead, now that we use mostly Aluminum clad products and there's no reason to do it any longer. However, we still have borders and stripes with use of digital prints, vinyl or just flatbed techniques. For me, I'd edge it and finish it off. How would the 1/2" black lip around it look, in regards to the face ??

edit: and you did a mighty fine job wrapping those edges with the vinyl.

RyanT

Director of Entropy
Thanks a lot for the feedback, definitely makes me feel a bit better about being on the right track. I just started my business recently so I'm laser focused on doing the best quality work I can (which is pretty modest right now). I've been learning by practicing, doing R&D, and offering free upgrades on orders if it means I get to apply or learn a new skill, work with a new material, etc, so I wouldn't mind putting a cap on them. Unfortunately we're up against the customers budget, so I can't charge more on these.

...I'd consider some clear edge cap ...

I looked around for a vendor with clear edge and couldn't find one, any recommendations?

We offer edge caps to the customer up front as an added upgrade and charge $2 per linear foot. ...I always try to incorporate a border into my layouts when possible, too. I think borders make a much nicer looking sign especially if you're not using edge caps

That's a good point, I didn't offer it as an upgrade upfront, but I will now. Totally agree on the border - when I do painted backgrounds I use a contrasting border and it looks very professional. Vinyl backgrounds, would be hard to cut and apply I think.

Maybe I'm the odd man out here, but my first question would be why MDO?
Second why wrap the edges at all? Especially if they are getting handled that much, they will probably get torn up.

I've used MDO before and can get primed sheets locally. What would you guys recommend instead of MDO?
I wrapped the edges thinking that if the material stopped at the edge of the face it would be likely to lift, but I totally get what you're saying about the edges getting damaged and it lifting anyway. I have some scrap here, I might do a test without it wrapped around and leave it outside to see how it does.

I don't think you're over-thinking this at all. It shows you are of a 'dying breed'. Someone who cares about their customers..... and their craftsmanship.

...How would the 1/2" black lip around it look, in regards to the face ??

Uh oh, I'm not sure if being a dying breed nowadays is a good thing or a bad thing for my business!
I'm between black and white for an edge. The background is red on top, blue on bottom, with white (greyish) copy, all reflective. Black would probably look best, but I can get white locally for 1/6 the cost and it doesn't look bad with the white text.

Sorry for being wordy; thanks a ton for the feedback though! I'm learning a lot from this group.

printhog

A Google search for clear plastic plywood u channel edge trim delivered a number of vendors..

its only a freaking sign!

Billct2

What would you guys recommend instead of MDO?
Depends on the size and mounting method but we use a lot of ACM.
I use a contrasting border and it looks very professional. Vinyl backgrounds, would be hard to cut and apply I think.
We apply vinyl borders all the time