• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting My Own Shop...

TimToad

Great advice... i was pushed into starting a business by my father.. I was happy working as a senior Graphic designer. After having my own business I now work much harder and multitasking a gazillion tasks is a daily skill you need to have. Working for other people is much much easier, when you go home you switch off... running your own business means your constantly thinking about it. If I were to do it again I'd be happy working full time for someone and have a tiny side hobby business, probably would be less stressed and making similar $$. Maybe just try working for a place who will pay you more $$ first. Atleast $25 - $30? Do you install signs too?

Here in the states, wage rates very widely from state to state and the anti-union states pass what are paradoxically called "right to work" laws, which sound great, but lock in a lot of downward pressure on wages and benefits for the owning class in those states. The OP lives in one of those states. He'd have a better chance of flying to the moon than making $25-30 per hour in West Virginia. I wouldn't be surprised to find out some shops there barely charge that as their shop rate, let alone a wage.

Johnny Best

I don't think the guy asked if he could fly to the moon or he is planning on moving to a non "right to work state", He just bought a house.
I know you are a toad and like to jump around, but stay on topic Dude.

He has to have an hourly rate that stays with other local shops to be competitive unless he sells through the internet or does something no one else offers.

TimToad

I don't think the guy asked if he could fly to the moon or he is planning on moving to a non "right to work state", He just bought a house.
I know you are a toad and like to jump around, but stay on topic Dude.

He has to have an hourly rate that stays with other local shops to be competitive unless he sells through the internet or does something no one else offers.

My reply wasn't to the OP, it was to the poster from Australia who likely doesn't know the intricacies of our various state labor laws and local variables which are all on topic considering the OP is frustrated with why he can't seem to get ahead where he lives.

The OP already knows he's in a low wage state with few prospects, that's why he's trying to figure out how to work around it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My reply wasn't to the OP, it was to the poster from Australia who likely doesn't know the intricacies of our various state labor laws and local variables which are all on topic considering the OP is frustrated with why he can't seem to get ahead where he lives.

The OP already knows he's in a low wage state with few prospects, that's why he's trying to figure out how to work around it.

I'm still trying to figure out what state he's really in ????? ...........and I don't mean state-of-mind.

Johnny Best

West Virginia, Gino. A right to work state as T.Toad pointed out.
And $1in Australa is .75 in US, So $20 an hour there is about $15 an hour here.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Holy Sh!t, I looked it up. I didn't know there was a Charleston in W. Virginia. I thought S. Carolina. Well, kiss my grits.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I looked it up, the cost of living wage in that part of WV is a little over $10 an hour, but the average for a production worker is around $16.

Johnny Best

Gino, don't pick capitals of states for $500.
They also say if you flatten W Virginia out it would be the largest state.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Alex..... let me have 'nimrods' for $800.

Wow-wee, it's a daily double........ I'll wager $2,500.

Okay, let me see............ who is Monkey Boy ??

El Correct-O......... Gino

dale911

President
I wanted to do signs and graphics as a hobby/side business for the last few years while working my day job as an officer. After getting PTSD following the death of a 9month old on a case I worked, I debated long and hard about making my hobby into a business. A year and a half ago, I took off my vest and stepped headlong into wholesale printing to the trade. A few months ago, I picked up a client that more than doubles 2016 sales and I am really finding my groove. I even bought a cheap bucket truck and am doing subcontract service for a few of my print clients. I, too am working 10-15 hour days during the week and a few hours a day on the weekends but the life I am living now is worth more than the money I am making. Stress is much lower, I get to decide how to grow my business, and best of all, no one wants to shoot me (that I know of right now ;). The point is, it's a scary step to take. It takes a ton of faith. If you aren't scared about going out on your own, you don't know what you are getting into. I wish you the best in your decision and don't hesitate to contact me with any questions as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny Best

One of the best sign stories that has ever been on here. Good luck to you sir and hope you have a long and happy life.

1leonchen

My advise. start. don't make any deals u wont regret. i started form my bed with a 36 by 24 cutting mat and a chinese cutter. now i am a force to be reckoned with in my market. chose equipment wisely. contine to work hard and make your name.