• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Strange ink drop pattern mid print???

Signs 'n' Stuff

Good Morning all
I have just had an unusual problem in the middle of a print.
I am using a VS640 with Roland ink, printing on Arlon dpf4500GX. @ 50inch roll
About 1 metre (40 inches) into a 4 metre ( 13 feet ) print i got 300mm (12inches ) of ink dropped across the void part of the print. then the print returned to normal.

there are also some weird marks at the edge of the print

The machine gets its regular servicing and i do the weekly cleans.

What has caused it and how do I avoid it again?

Thanks Brett
Middle of print red.jpg
Edge of pint_resized.jpg

ikarasu

I've had that happen on a small scale, like your bottom picture. When printing stuff with a lot of white space, it almost always happens. Usually whenever there's a lot of white space, I turn on the color bars and it prevents that from happening.

I don't know if that would cause whats happening in the top of your image though... It looks as though it was pushing out too much ink. Sometimes weird stuff happens... I wouldn't worry about it unless it does it again.

Christian @ 2CT Media

With our Latex we get a similar issue on that same material and it's almost always a static issue. For some reason that material either builds or holds a static charge.

bilge

[QUOTE
The machine gets its regular servicing and i do the weekly cleans.
[/QUOTE]

Did you check underneath of the carriage? It seems like some hair sticked to the head or the temperature setting is too low for this media. The media is not flat enough in the beginning and touches the head. Just thought.

dale911

President
I also had similar issues this week with 2 materials. Found one piece of fuzz hanging from the front of the print head so on my Mimaki it was only doing it near the far edge of the print. The strange thing is that if I was running a print that was only half the width, it was still happening. Turned out to be a single strand of fuzz. I cleaned it and was good to go...so I thought. I ran another print and found it had developed areas similar. I found little bits of fuzz hanging from the media jam sensor. Now that it's all clean everywhere, we are back to normal. Pretty frustrating though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliforniaVibe

Production and Digital Print Operator
If you have printed Banner material check you print head carriage for scrim hanging down!

Usually a rogue hair in there was a pretty common issue on the Roland I worked on because of the scrim vinyl we used on it; I've seen little threads from the scrim get stuck to the bottom of the printhead then the wipers clean it (adheres to the wipers) then randomly later goes back to the printhead.

Maybe check out and see everything is clean down there...