Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions on these 1" Acrylic Letters

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by PaulyD, May 14, 2017.

1. PaulyD

PaulyD DIY CNC Hobbyist

Apr 20, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    We have a client that wants the letters in picture below made out of the 1" thick acrylic and internally lit with neon effect and stud mounted onto white ceramic tile. I'm looking for your thoughts on how you would go about tackling this project? Here are my thoughts:
    1. Cut all letters out of 1/2" opal acrylic in 2 pieces with the rear one being hollow for rope LED and then glue them together.
    I will keep adding to this thread with time and more ideas.

[​IMG]

2. GaSouthpaw

GaSouthpaw Premium Subscriber

Dec 1, 2005
    Georgia
    Seems to me it'd be easier to do them from a 1" thick sheet so you don't have to glue them together.
    Cut on a CNC router, face down, after routing out a recess for the LEDs. This would enable you to drill precise stud locations, too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rick

Rick Certified Circle Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    Whats the overall size?

Do you have access to the back?

What effect are you looking for? Halo Lit?

4. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    sounds like this is more than hobby person should be doing. you are in CA, don't elctrical signs there need to be UL?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    So is this your idea, but not cutting in half but as GoSouthPaw suggested, is this about right? acrylic ltrs.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. printhog

printhog Member

Dec 15, 2010
    california
    CALIFORNIA LAW REQUIRES YOU BE A LICENSED CONTRACTOR to make or sell electrical signs. Building codes require you be a UL listed manufacturer and fire codes require the finished product have a UL tag to prove it is safe.

THIS ISNT A PROJECT FOR A HOBBYIST.

For more info Contractors State License Board

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1