• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Summa D Series S2 plotter Feedback

rcook99

Okay, Currently we run a Graphtec for doing our cut vinyl and print and cut material as well. I have read through some of the posts regarding Summa but wanted some feedback from people who have switched from Graphtec to Summa and how they like the Summa. Also would like to hear from anyone that switched and is using Signlab V9 print and cut or higher. Any feed back will be appreciated regarding the Summa plotters.

Thanks,

rcook99

Okay anybody with any feedback on Summa plotters that moved from a Graphtec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SignosaurusRex

Currently running Graphtec plotters myself. Never heard a single negative word about any of the Summa plotters. I know a number of Summa owners that love the step up from Graphtec. Next go-round, I'll seriously be leaning toward the Summa machines despite the higher price. Of course It doesn't hurt that their home is local when it comes to parting with $$ and in the event that I ever need service.

I've worked with both and currently work for a company that changed from a Graphtec to a Summa. The Summa is way nice. Given the choice, I'd go with the Summa. To be honest, it could be that the graphtecs I've used have been old and I've always had the chance to work with new Summas...

rjssigns

Not sure if this will help, but here's what I know. We've had our Summa D140R about a month and are really impressed with the contour cutting. First run after setup was graphics for four box trucks and 400 equipment decals. Can't count all the other jobs we've run. Only one error and that was caused by the operator. Yesterday it cut lettering for a 20' trailer and two hundred 10" equipment decals. Last bit for today is cutting overlays for magnetic signs.

rcook99

Not sure if this will help, but here's what I know. We've had our Summa D140R about a month and are really impressed with the contour cutting. First run after setup was graphics for four box trucks and 400 equipment decals. Can't count all the other jobs we've run. Only one error and that was caused by the operator. Yesterday it cut lettering for a 20' trailer and two hundred 10" equipment decals. Last bit for today is cutting overlays for magnetic signs.

rjssigns, what software do you use for your plotter? I run signlab 9.1 and just want to make sure it will also work like it does with the graphtec. Thanks for your input.

Suz

Hi there,

I know you are requesting people's experience with the Summa S2 plotter, well I didn't buy one of those...

Since I want to give a positive review and share my experience, here goes:

I got the basic starter model, the D75 30" Summacut. My experience having the machine for the first month has been awesome! Would I do it again? YES! I am pretty frugal when it comes to buying anything, but I have learned through the years that after doing the research, it's best not to skimp and just get the best I can afford. Summa fits that requirement for me! I didn't get a deal from a show or a discount, my regular plotter broke down when I was in the middle of a very important job. So I really had to find a reliable cutter quick. Decided to buy a brand new one and just paid the full price, having made the final decision to buy it just a few hours before doing so. I'd been eyeballing the Summas for about 7 years.

The Summa cutter is so much easier to use than what I had been using previously. Easy Peazy!

Summa Sales people (Drew and Phil) are wonderful to work with, very technical and they are very Customer Service oriented. Yay! Love them! The rest of the staff are just as great, they were all very attentive each time I called or went in. Fortunately for me, they are close by. I'd still buy a Summa though, even if I lived across the country!

Great job Summa!

rjssigns

rjssigns, what software do you use for your plotter? I run signlab 9.1 and just want to make sure it will also work like it does with the graphtec. Thanks for your input.

No clue, sorry. I design in Ai and use WinPlot that came with the Summa.

Suz

rcook,

I use my design software, similar to what rjsigns is doing, except that I design in CorelDraw most of the time. I have Illustrator too, but prefer CorelDraw these days. Anynow, both plug ins (one for CorelDraw and one for Illustrator) are provide by Summa so you can cut directly from your design software. That is, if you are using either of those programs.

I'm not sure what you would do if you weren't using one of those programs, so give them a call at Summa, I'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Suz

Correction: I should have said that like rjssigns does, I also use "WinPlot that came with the Summa." Except that I use CorelDraw instead of Illustrator most of the time. In in my case, the way to access WinPlot is by clicking on an icon while still in CorelDraw (or Illustrator) to send your file to the Summa Cutter/Plotter. Pretty cool that way that works, because when the cutting is finished, I'm still in CorelDraw! Love that!

rcook99

Correction: I should have said that like rjssigns does, I also use "WinPlot that came with the Summa." Except that I use CorelDraw instead of Illustrator most of the time. In in my case, the way to access WinPlot is by clicking on an icon while still in CorelDraw (or Illustrator) to send your file to the Summa Cutter/Plotter. Pretty cool that way that works, because when the cutting is finished, I'm still in CorelDraw! Love that!

Thanks for your input Suz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
I recently switched from Summa to Graphtec and I love the Graphtec mostly because now I can do print and cut

Which Summa model were you using previously? All of the new models are capable of contour cutting and feature OPOS X, which is the latest version of our optical sensor used to detect registration marks when contour cutting. Perhaps you had a really old Summa model without OPOS?

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa/Airmark

Which Summa model were you using previously? All of the new models are capable of contour cutting and feature OPOS X, which is the latest version of our optical sensor used to detect registration marks when contour cutting. Perhaps you had a really old Summa model without OPOS?

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa/Airmark
Yeah I was using a Summacut D75

Rico

I bought a D75 2 years ago to replace an aging Gerber plotter. The plotter cuts very well, even super small stuff, and the OPUS is wonderful. The tech support is VERY responsive and willing to help with any issues. Plus it is a local company (to me anyway) and I really do recommend the plotter to anyone looking for a good, inexpensive but quality cutter.

However, there are a few things that caused me problems.

1) Out of the box, it is terrible at making paper patterns. The plotter constantly munches the paper on anything over about 2'-3'. I tried basic plotter paper from my local vender and the nicer EZ draw from Fellers and found no difference. I never had this issue with my old Gerber (Mutoh-rebrand) plotter. In comparing the two, I believe it is the way the machine drops the material almost straight down to the media catch basket. The paper hits the bottom but doesn't roll, instead kind of binds straight up and down causing a munch. I took the profile from my old Gerber - which does not drop the material straight down -- and made a "ramp" out if a piece of 3mm Sintra and that seems to have taken care of the problem; that along with slowing the speed down about 50%. Unfortunately I still have to babysit the plotter when I do paper patterns, but the munching has decreased by about 80%.

2) I find the plotter has issues when using smaller pieces of vinyl. If I stick in a 2-yard piece of vinyl, I sometimes run into similar issues as with plotting paper above. The vinyl goes stright down and hits the bottom of the catch basket. Sometimes is then falls into a nice roll, and sometimes it binds at the bottom, causing it to become stiff and this can cause it to munch in the cutter. the ramp I made for paper patterns does help though.

3) small gripe: the power button. Why put it recessed and on the back, jumbled in between the power cord, communication cord and lever for lowering the pinch rollers? It's near impossible to lean over the catch basket, over the front of the plotter looking at the back of an all-black machine, black cords and black recessed power button. Why not on the front where you can see it?

Anyhow, sorry for my gripe. The machine is worth the money, but it doesn't seem like it has been fully tested or something. After 2 years, I still don't feel comfortable leaving it alone to cut and vinyl longer than about 2-3', which is sad. I never had to babysit a plotter before.

EDIT: I too dealt with Phil and he was very responsive and helpful and even let me come in a try out the plotter before buying it.

Last edited: