• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

summa opus reader question

gabagoo

does this look correct...what is this white thing?

Attachments

• IMG_0263.JPG
    IMG_0263.JPG
    686.9 KB · Views: 402

FatCat

I guess it depends on which Summa you have - our D140 "eye" looks totally different than your pic.

gabagoo

IN any case that white area was originally covered with what I have to assume was black vinyl but got loose many years ago. I had replaced it with another, but for the last 2 days the reader refuses to see registration marks. I have tried every trick in the book and have had nothing but disapointment. I peeled the black vinyl off and wonder just what is this piece... I will cover it up again and keep trying although my patience has run very thin sitting and trying continually.... sort of ruins your day and your focus to do anything else.

FrankW

This 2 buttons are for factory calibration.

If your plotter won't find registration marks anymore, have you done a media calibration (CAL MEDIA in the plotter menu)? If it completely fails, it could be that the sensor is damaged.

This looks like that it is an older Cutter, because the new ones (SummaCUT R-Series and S-Class) look different.

gabagoo

This 2 buttons are for factory calibration.

If your plotter won't find registration marks anymore, have you done a media calibration (CAL MEDIA in the plotter menu)? If it completely fails, it could be that the sensor is damaged.

This looks like that it is an older Cutter, because the new ones (SummaCUT R-Series and S-Class) look different.

I have had this cutter for 8 years and it basically has been this way since day 1. generally it works fine but it will always pick a day at least once or twice a week when it just does not seem to see the registration marks... Sometimes I reboot the entire system and then it works. Sometimes I use some air to blow the OPUS clean of any small debris that might get caught in there. I also use an eraser to dull the laminate a bit and to reduce any silvering that could be causing issues. I have even found that moving the pinch roller into a different position has helped. It all sounds strange but I have about 7 or 8 different things I can do to assist the reader. Yesterday not one of them worked....This morning the same and then I ran a calibration and nada. I then removed that little vinyl strip and replaced it...still nothing. I also changed to different printed jobs, just in case that file was corrupt, but not happening. I then removed the black strip again and reset the cutter.... I then placed a small black square over the registration mark...rubbed it with an eraser and VOILA!! It started reading the mark. That is quite a performance to go through....

The strange thing about the OPUS reader is that once it sees the first registration mark it wont have a problem finding the rest...what I mean is that it may not actually find the others but will signal me to move the head over the mark and when I do (after a quick rub with the eraser) it finds them. Only the first mark is an issue.

FatCat

Definitely sounds like something isn't reading correctly, or maybe the eye is damaged or not aligned? Usually when ours fails to read it's because there is dust/dirt around the eye, or someone has loaded the material backwards or something silly like that and it can't find the marks because they aren't where they should be. Keep us posted on your progress

gabagoo

I got one job to cut and it's right back to be a a beatch. So based on what I have written, do you think it is a software problem or a mechanical problem?

Rotutech

does this look correct...what is this white thing?
Not at all, somebody has cut the cover head to get the 2 Opos calibration, normally you should never change the factory seetings. You have two possibilities, or buy a new sensor, depending on your serial number you need OPOS SENSOR FOR D-HEAD SC (OLD to SN XX1111-1XXXX) - Rotutech or OPOS SENSOR FOR D-HEAD SC (NEW AFTER XX1111-1XXXX) - Rotutech , the second possibility is to buy one technical support hour Support online - remote maintenance - Rotutech for setting your OPOS if it's works correctly.

FrankW

Before buying parts for a lot of money, just do a media calibration. Sometimes, for some reasons, because of media, hardware- or environmental issues, the OPOS-Sensors sensitivity needs to be recalibrated.

Print a rectangle of 5 to 5cm, treat it like your original prints (lamination etc.), place it in the plotter, select CAL MEDIA on the plotters menu (the position of this menu item depends on the exact plotter model), it will ask you to place the sensor on the black area or white area ... after that the plotter will save a recalibration value OR will give an error message if the contrast can't be calibrated.

But, depending on the OPOS-Generation (OPOS or OPOS X), the sensor will run into problems with modern digital printers (first generation one time developed for screen printing in 1994).

Last edited:

gabagoo

Well I got the little bastage working again...seems a heat gun over that first registration mark, makes my OPUS see a little better. I have run all my jobs through now and the moment I have a problem with that first registration mark I hit it with heat and low and behold it starts to do it's thing.... but only on the first mark...Once that has been figured out the reader has no problems finding the rest. That is just strange, but I can deal with it now. I am going to assume this last roll of laminate has some silvering issues that I can't see with the naked eye, but OPUS can and does not like it.

signage

I fell sorry for you, you sure seem to have more unusual problems than any one else. Hope it keeps working for you, maybe you should move out of your current jinked shop:{)