• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa S2t75 Material Differences

Tatonka

We got an S2T75 a couple months ago and I thought I had it dialed in to cut great. However, I'm finding out that some materials must be slipping or something when it's feeding them. If I do a length calibration on a standard soft vinyl we have here, it measures out exactly to 900mm. However, we actually paint a vinyl, and when I do a length calibration on that material, it comes out about 5mm short. Another material, 3M Di-Noc, comes out about 3mm short over 725mm.

Does there need to be a different configuration for each material, or is something else weird going on?

depps74

I've had similar problems with my Summa!! Just bought it 1 month ago! Trying to get my money back now actually. Mine is brand new only 1 month old and out of the box it was putting notches in circles and any letter with a curve. Summa said that some materials such as Oracal 631 (the most popular brand and the only one I use) tends to slip or "shit" during cutting. I been working on an old Signwarehouse plotter for 10 years and this never happened once. ORcal laughed when I told them Summa's explanation. If you want contact me directly as I am in the process of getting my money back, if you paid with a credit card you may be able to get a refund too, the more evidence I can provide that their machines are broken the better.
you can email me direct here.

AF

For the OP, vinyl changes size with temperature. It is possible that the length differences you measured were caused by the material equalizing in temperature during the calibration.

FrankW

It have not much to do with slipping. Depending of some media properties the cutting length may vary. It is the same issue with a lot of roll printers or cutters.

With a S-Class Plotter you could save up to 8 media configurations, every one with a separate X-length calibration. And for easier access they can be named through Summa Cutter Control.

Tatonka

I found out I was just doing the calibration wrong. I tried to double check it by doing it again and remeasuring, but that's not a correct way of doing it. Once I cut once, and measured it accurately, it's consistently been cutting perfectly. It's been a great machine once I figured out the quirks.

jayhawksigns

It's been a great machine once I figured out the quirks.
That is a Summa in a nut shell. It is a rock solid built like a tank plotter, but, at least in our case, there wasn't on site setup and training so there were a lot of things I had to figure out on my own. We probably waived training on our second unit since we already had been running a Summa but with all the capabilities that these units have either take the training or read the manual twice and then keep picking up stuff while you run it.

jessica pappalardo

Onyx tech needed!!
I've had similar problems with my Summa!! Just bought it 1 month ago! Trying to get my money back now actually. Mine is brand new only 1 month old and out of the box it was putting notches in circles and any letter with a curve. Summa said that some materials such as Oracal 631 (the most popular brand and the only one I use) tends to slip or "shit" during cutting. I been working on an old Signwarehouse plotter for 10 years and this never happened once. ORcal laughed when I told them Summa's explanation. If you want contact me directly as I am in the process of getting my money back, if you paid with a credit card you may be able to get a refund too, the more evidence I can provide that their machines are broken the better.
you can email me direct here.
pls call me 909-418-1324, I am having an awful experience with my Summa Product and have been in touch w/ an attorney regarding damaged printers they sell.