• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The most overused font in 2013 is.....

peavey123

I turned away $1,200.00 for a park sign where they insisted I use mesquite. I refused and told them to find someone else for the job. I will not lower my standards, even for the love of money.

haha That's silly. Font nazi in tha house. Just because you don't like a font doesn't mean you can't make something nice with it.

There are lots of fonts I dislike, but it is actually possible to make some nice stuff, personal tastes aside. To me it's a real challenge to design something with crappy font, but if a client insists like in your example. I'd take that challenge. I'd be bored to death if I didn't have the odd challenging design scenario like that.

No offence, but looking at your website you have signs with only 5 or 6 lines of text, yet every line is a different font. Where were your standards then? :covereyes:

One that I see a lot of used locally that really annoys me is Algerian. I think it's so god awful ugly but I see it on everything from contractors trucks to restaurant menus. I attribute it's overuse to the many people who design their own layouts who feel that Windows offers enough variety to do the job and then they think "Man, that drop shadow is so cool!". They fail to realize you can add a drop shadow to any font with relative ease even if you are an absolute novice at designing with a computer.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
One that I see a lot of used locally that really annoys me is Algerian. I think it's so god awful ugly but I see it on everything from contractors trucks to restaurant menus. I attribute it's overuse to the many people who design their own layouts who feel that Windows offers enough variety to do the job and then they think "Man, that drop shadow is so cool!". They fail to realize you can add a drop shadow to any font with relative ease even if you are an absolute novice at designing with a computer.

I hate Algerian too. It gets worse when someone adds an outline/stroke to it too.

TammieH

haven't seen Lobster Font around here. But...my two cents worth...

I HATE Copperplate, hate hate hate it!!! Its ugly as h311!!!

and can be difficult to weed, but mostly its ugly as sin!

Did I mention that I hate Copperplate and all of its stinking variations?

Oh yeah, and used to much as well.

PS

Copperplate is butt ugly

LOL:Big Laugh

FTG

Sarah Script is beautiful, but I see it on absolutely everthing around here and I'm just as guilty as the rest for over using it, need to lay off that.

Kaiser

I know this thread is a little old but....

I am up to :frustrated:with lobster. Everywhere I look its being used!!! I swear, no exaggeration. This week alone I have seen it in(and I have actually counted) 7 ads by major corporations on a national level. I have seen it used on TV in 3 different ads and ANYTHING that is Christmas related in shopping malls seems to be using it.

just a rant

WildWestDesigns

I am up to :frustrated:with lobster. Everywhere I look its being used!!! I swear, no exaggeration. This week alone I have seen it in(and I have actually counted) 7 ads by major corporations on a national level. I have seen it used on TV in 3 different ads and ANYTHING that is Christmas related in shopping malls seems to be using it.

just a rant

This will really get you. It's making its way into embroidery as well. Not too long ago even I had to deal with it for an embroidery project.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Can't say they bother me or not. :rolleyes:

I really don't pay much attention to other people's signs, let alone their font choices. If I'm gonna put another shop's work down, it's for their workmanship and poor layout/design...... not their font choice.

I've used some squirrely fonts and still got paid over the years. It's what you do and how you incorporate them into the overall design that counts. Again, design~layout. Not every sign is gonna be a masterpiece.

Kaiser

Can't say they bother me or not. :rolleyes:

I really don't pay much attention to other people's signs, let alone their font choices. If I'm gonna put another shop's work down, it's for their workmanship and poor layout/design...... not their font choice.

I've used some squirrely fonts and still got paid over the years. It's what you do and how you incorporate them into the overall design that counts. Again, design~layout. Not every sign is gonna be a masterpiece.

I have nothing against any font whatsoever per say.

I just think alot of the designers we have in my country today are just plain lazy to even think or just dont give a rats **** anymore.
I have also copied in the past, Im not denying that but to get to the point where Ive even seen Lobster font Ls as PAGE CORNERS. Come on... thats pushing it... I mean, really. Who in creation of crows **** does that?

It gets to a point where I, as a mere printer, look around and find nothing that inspires me.

The worst is when I have someone come up to me with "this cool flyer" they want as a base for their ad and it has the exact same font.
What the heck... Ill do it but dont ask me to sign it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have nothing against any font whatsoever per say.

I just think alot of the designers we have in my country today are just plain lazy to even think or just dont give a rats **** anymore.
I have also copied in the past, Im not denying that but to get to the point where Ive even seen Lobster font Ls as PAGE CORNERS. Come on... thats pushing it... I mean, really. Who in creation of crows **** does that?

It gets to a point where I, as a mere printer, look around and find nothing that inspires me.

The worst is when I have someone come up to me with "this cool flyer" they want as a base for their ad and it has the exact same font.
What the heck... Ill do it but dont ask me to sign it

We have a lot of lazy ones in this country as well. We also have an overabundance of self-proclaimed designers who can't design worth a crap. They don't know any better, so balance, colors, color combinations, weight, depth perception and just plain basics are no match for the worthless fonts they choose. It all looks like bat sh!t to me, but rather than harp on the font choice, I'd rather go after the lack of ability and get them back to their old jobs of selling shoes or directing elevators.

this way please.jpg

Kaiser

I wouldnt classify myself as a graphic designer. I just know my way around alot of software pretty well.
Im a better photographer than I am a designer but even I have an eye for whats good, whats bad and whats plain kitsch for the lack of a better word.
Any which way, I wouldnt be able to sell shoes for the life of me. Those escalators look pretty good though. Was the girl shopped in or is that just bad lighting?