• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

the new Imagaro....

RiXaX

Several years back, Fred Weiss turned me on to a program called Imagaro Z,that aids in font recognition.
That company has been sold and the data bank they used will no longer be, and there is a new program that is an updated version.
ANyone have experience with Graphic Tracer? Fred....I want to hear your thoughts please.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I would suggest that you read over this thread:

Graphic Tracer can ID over 100,000 fonts

and then look up other posts by GTracer who is a merchant member here.

I haven't used the program as of this writing but it appears to do what it claims. The main issue raised by a number of members here is that it is now a subscription based application with the various pros and cons of such an arrangement. It certainly seems like an easy, low risk subscription to discontinue if, after starting it, you don't want to continue it. If you try it, please post back what you think of it.

GTracer

You are 100% correct Fred. It is virtually "no risk" as every subscription comes with a "30 day Trial Period". If a person subscribes monthly, the cost is $15, but the credit card will not be charged until the end of the first month. This means, the first month is absolutely Free. If a person does nothing, the monthly subscription will continue and the credit card will automatically be billed $15 for the next month. If a person decides during the trial period that they do not want to subscribe, all they need do is log in to their account and cancel anytime. This same thing applies to the yearly subscription, with the exception that if a person subscribes for a year at a time, they will save over 30% off the monthly charge, and the first month also is free. If you don't like the program, you need to make sure to cancel your subscription before the 30 day free trial period ends, as once the card is charged, a significant portion of that subscription price is automatically paid out to sales affiliates. If you decide to cancel after the 30 day trial has expired, no refunds will be granted. Your subscription will automatically stop at the end of the agreed upon monthly or yearly subscription plan and your card will no longer be charged.

I have personally been using Graphic Tracer (formerly Imagaro Z) software in my own sign shop since 2004, and have found it to be one of the most valuable tools we have. I can honestly say that it has save us hours upon hours of time on graphic clean up (which equates to thousands of dollars), and I have been a CorelDraw user and advocate since version 2.0. We still use Corel as our primary program for design work as it is a great program. However, when it comes to cleaning up logos fast, especially logos with text, like the "Tiny League" logo that I posted earlier, Graphic Tracer usually gets the job done in a fraction of the time, and one click pops the finished image right back into our CorelDraw or Illustrator window. Others can export as eps, ai, dxf, plt, bmp or svg. I invite anyone to try it for a month "risk free".

I do hope that anyone who tries Graphic Tracer will report back to us and let us know what they think. We do appreciate feed back positive and negative. All feedback is beneficial to us. I also hope that you would do one more thing that would help us make this program even better. I realize that every program has it's limitations, and no software will be able to automatically turn a 2 pixel image into a piece of fine art. I also realize that the program that work the best is the one that you know. If you have images that you feel you are able to get better results faster using another program, email to us a copy of the image you started with, along with the results you achieved, the time it took along with the name of the software program that you used. I will personally do my best to come up with some kind of appropriate "reward" to anyone who is willing to take the time to help us in this way. This will help us as we strive to make Graphic Tracer the most popular vectorization, font identification and graphic clean up software in the industry.

For those of you that have difficulty with the vectorization of images, or are in the habit of regularly outsourcing images and paying $10-$15 or more to have someone else clean up your art. Please note- we are in the process of building "how to" videos using Graphic Tracer for YouTube. We would love to be able use some of your images in our demonstrations. Graphics that come from actual shops around the world. If you email images to us, we will try to incorporate as many of those images as we can into our training video series. I believe that you will quickly see that bringing the graphic clean up in house using Graphic Tracer might put a significant amount of revenue back into your pocket.

Last of all, people need to think of a Graphic Tracer subscription as you would a service, or someone you hire to work for you. You pay a flat monthly or yearly fee for Graphic Tracer to do a job... to help clean up your bad quality art or help identify fonts. It will work for you 24 hours a day for around .30-.50 cents a day. (less than you probably pay someone to carry out the trash at the end of the day) Graphic Tracer will continue to improve and develop. This means it will get faster, more efficient, develop new abilities and recognize more fonts as they are continually being added to it's search database. This means it is continually acquiring greater efficiency, more knowledge and skill at what it does. The nice thing is, it is never going to ask you for a "raise" as there are no "upgrade" costs. You will always have the most "skilled" version. Seriously, how much time would need to be saved out of every day to make Graphic Tracer a worthwhile addition to your shop?

Thank you for taking time to read this, and I invite any questions or comments.

Best regards,
Steve
Graphical Systems USA
Portland Oregon banners, signs screen printing and more

I would suggest that you read over this thread:

Graphic Tracer can ID over 100,000 fonts

and then look up other posts by GTracer who is a merchant member here.

I haven't used the program as of this writing but it appears to do what it claims. The main issue raised by a number of members here is that it is now a subscription based application with the various pros and cons of such an arrangement. It certainly seems like an easy, low risk subscription to discontinue if, after starting it, you don't want to continue it. If you try it, please post back what you think of it.

like to produce videos using those videos

RiXaX

I agree about renting software, but that's the only way they do it anymore.

Today I scanned an image with Flexi and saw how much clean up work there was, then scanned it with Graphic Tracer. The vectorized version I got from GT was far superior to what Flexi was giving me. I was happy to save around half an hour. That pays for the first month.

I also did their thing about entering my font libraries, but it still didn't find a font that I have installed. I found that a couple times, so I assume I did something wrong.

Fred, I'm awaiting you to try the program and comment. What are you currently using for font ID's?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, I'm awaiting you to try the program and comment. What are you currently using for font ID's?

I use the Find My Font program which combined with years of identifying fonts serves my needs for font identification. I am not a fan of auto tracing and do most vectorizing with text overlays and a Bezier pen for non text objects. It takes a bit more time and effort but I believe the result is inherently superior.

GTracer

Time is money... cleaning up a logo from a cell phone photo in under 3 minutes using Graphic Tracer Professional

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
The font replacement part of this software is quite impressive but as with any autotrace tool it misses the subtleties of the graphic. The details on the runner have been simplified and/or lost

Billct2

I agree with Eric, it's hard for a tracing program to "correct" a poor image. Sometimes recreating a logo requires adding or correcting parts.

GTracer

In my experience, the amount of required detail that need to be re-drawn in those "subtleties" are determined by the final output. The person doing the clean up also must exercise "artistic license" to determine just how the final results will look, because it really cannot be determined from the low res bitmap. Check out the enlargement of the runner's face in the bitmap.
With Graphic Tracer, you can retrace specific parts of your image at different settings in order to pickup more or less detail in the image. It also has powerful node editing tools to correct any of the fine details and "subtleties" of a graphic when necessary. The original bitmap can be "turned on" directly under the trace to help guide a designer in making any adjustments felt necessary. I could have spent more time time "tweaking" this image to please my "anal" customers, but "Time is Money". Graphic Tracer is more than a "tracing program"... It is the fastest way to creating a perfect vector original from a low resolution image. If you disagree... I challenge you... See how far you get in cleaning up the attached png file below in less than three minutes. Anyone who is able to do better in less time, I will buy the drinks- Cheers!

Attachments

• runner face.JPG
    runner face.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 112
  • RuningPhoto.png
    RuningPhoto.png
    294.7 KB · Views: 125