• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you guys use for self promo?

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We're always looking for something we can make inhouse (We have a ZUND CNC, Flatbed, Screen Printing, Etc) that we can give to our customers who are other sign shops, printers, etc.

I want to find something we can make inhouse, because inevitably, being part of ASI, we'll get asked if we can make whatever we give away.

We have done stone coasters (flatbed printed), Christmas ornaments, little 3D Christmas Trees, and little "Property Of:" sticker packs in the past.

Is there something you think would be cool to get from one of your wholesale trade vendors that you would like to share?

Maybe something out of 1/4" PVC we can route that connects into a useful 3D shape? Maybe a chart we can print and laminate that helps you in the shop? What promo products work best for you?

nickgreyink

Stickers, car magnets, buttons, phone cases?

I really just went through a site like Cafepress to see what little knick-knacks they had there.

fresh

we had measuring tapes made, BUT you could make tape measures... just be sure they are accurate!

FireSprint.com

QUOTE="Z SIGNS, post: 1343839, member: 15706"]We use our reputation[/QUOTE]

Yep. That's first and foremost. I think we do a pretty good job of maintaining ours, but thank God all businesses don't just use their reputation to advertise or 97.857% of us on this forum would be out of a job. :p

I had one of our guys design a sticky note holder that we could CNC out of PVC, but it wasn't quite nice enough to send out as a promo piece. A measuring stick of some kind is a good idea too.

equippaint

Hands down: hats and T-Shirts, everyone will use them. With any give away, I would caution you to spend the $$ and make sure it is quality stuff, nothing is more annoying than a crappy pen that quits writing after 5 mins. When I sold construction equipment, the standard was notepads, pens (bic), hardhat clips, sticky pads which were all thrown in the garbage and did nothing for the company. Especially the generic post it notes that did not stick. Double sided dry erase calendars (laminated paper with 6 mos per side) were popular but it was always give me a hat or where are the tshirts. Make the design nice, front and back print and people will like it. Nice windbreakers for your select customers with your small logo on the chest in the fall. Mesh hats in the summer if you deal with the redneck crowd. So many people waste money on garbage like stress balls, go to some tradeshows and see all the crap that ends up in the trash. Total waste of money.

Z SIGNS

QUOTE="Z SIGNS, post: 1343839, member: 15706"]We use our reputation

Yep. That's first and foremost. I think we do a pretty good job of maintaining ours, but thank God all businesses don't just use their reputation to advertise or 97.857% of us on this forum would be out of a job. :p

I had one of our guys design a sticky note holder that we could CNC out of PVC, but it wasn't quite nice enough to send out as a promo piece. A measuring stick of some kind is a good idea too.[/QUOTE]
Well I would say 97.857% of you are going about it the wrong way.I mean come on how many of you have have been contacted from a phone number on a pen or a fridge magnet.I guess it boils down to the kind of customer you want to attract.The ones who shop from fridge magnets or the ones that go out of their way to seek you out for the awesome work and service you provide.I prefer the latter.

equippaint

I had one of our guys design a sticky note holder that we could CNC out of PVC, but it wasn't quite nice enough to send out as a promo piece. A measuring stick of some kind is a good idea too.
Well I would say 97.857% of you are going about it the wrong way.I mean come on how many of you have have been contacted from a phone number on a pen or a fridge magnet.I guess it boils down to the kind of customer you want to attract.The ones who shop from fridge magnets or the ones that go out of their way to seek you out for the awesome work and service you provide.I prefer the latter.[/QUOTE]
There are some trades that it works for, my friend puts his electrical company name on the panel of each house he works on but thats a different trade that relies less on repeat business. I agree though that give away crap as a promotion is a huge waste of money. I like tshirts and hats because its a useful "thanks" for doing business with me that people will remember every time they wear it. Still totally useless to gain new business.
With advertising in any form, its not so much getting someone to act on the ad in particular as much as it is to drum up the subconscious awareness of your company when someone goes out and seeks the service you offer. This is why they stress that any marketing needs to be done long term, not 1 round.

hcardwell93

If you go with hats they have to be nice. I can't count the number of junk hats I've tossed because they fit poorly or look dumb.

When I find the right hat I wear it until its so dirty I'm forced to toss it. Most hat guys are the same way.

ikarasu

It's all about marketing. Do you purchase from a printer because you have a pen with their name on it? No... But if you see / use the pen 24/7, the printer will be in the back of your mind next time they have to make an order.

If your pen is close by with all your information, it takes the lazyness out of the equation. They need a sign, but don't want to look for your cell / email for a quote? Oh hey, theres a pen with all that information...

Of course if your prices are higher than others, or your quality isn't as good as others, a pen won't do shit all for you. and sure, in 99% of the cases a pen wont do nothing - But lets say you buy 1,000 pens.. .Thats roughly $500, all it takes is 1-2 customers making a few signs, and you get that money back.

A little bit of advertising on cheesy products goes a long way.

We print some decals / stickers for kids... Hockey stuff, basketball stuff, just generic stuff kids can play with. Theres always wasted space down the side of our rolls... So we spent a week making thousands of hockey pucks, sticks, flags, etc... A lot of customers loved them, some didn't care. It did get us quite a few new decal orders... showed some customers what our printers can do, let them test / see the material... etc, And all it cost was a few bucks in ink.

I believe the original question was, What can you produce in house to promote yourself. Another option I saw at a tradeshow recently was aprons. You can print on your flat bed and cut with your cnc. Give out during summer and Christmas time. Make fun crazy designs, like a beach bod or kiss the cook. Or elf for Christmas

Mastermatt87

Mouse Pads nice ones!

We find ourself dropping off cards and a month later they get a sign but not from us!

They lost the card and all we did was plant the seed they needed one.

I believe mouse pads would be a great promotional item for us that will get used.

brycesteiner

This seems to be controversial for some here.

I have found that our customers really like notepads. but that's because we make them here! They always come in asking for them and I seem them all over our small towns.

I have also found that followup by email is the best way to make sure the customer is happy and I find they will remember you more just by saying "hi" either in person or a personal email (not mass emails -- they just get people upset).

If items are what you want, how about refrigerator magnets for the consumer market? Use good ones though, not the crap from vista print. Hats are big but only for those that wear them. Everybody wears shirts, but not the same one everyday. I have a ton of mugs that people have given to me. I feel bad to throw them away because they are substantial but nobody uses them.

Clearly, you will not find something that appeals to everyone. Which means that pens/notepads are probably good since everyone seems to use them, and has probably been the reason they have stood the test of time.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
I give all my good customers UNBRANDED shirts and hats(no cheap sh!t). You'd be amazed how many times I've seen them wearing them around town.

Do you think they'd be wearing them if my brand was on there? No...

But I guarantee they thought of my company when they put it on.

FireSprint.com

This seems to be controversial for some here.
Clearly, you will not find something that appeals to everyone. Which means that pens/notepads are probably good since everyone seems to use them, and has probably been the reason they have stood the test of time.

We love the conflicting opinions here! It gives us a well-rounded view of the idea and balances out the concept quite nicely. And I, personally, use notepads constantly, and I'm always reading over the company info on them. They're a great way to keep that company info in the back of your mind. Glad they've worked out for you so well!

fraction to decimal chart printed onto a mouse pad would be nice and handy.

Great idea, Marlene! That would definitely come in handy. In our case, we don't sell mousepads, but printing a fraction-to-decimal chart on a 4x4 PVC sample or a magnet or a decal would probably work out nicely and be something our customers would be able to use all of the time!

Lots of great discussion in this thread! Thank you all for your input, and keep it coming. This is an ongoing discussion in our office. We want to give people useful things that showcase our products while still being fun and engaging. We're always looking for new and inventive ideas!

billsines

If you go with hats they have to be nice. I can't count the number of junk hats I've tossed because they fit poorly or look dumb.

When I find the right hat I wear it until its so dirty I'm forced to toss it. Most hat guys are the same way.

This is true. The only hats I like are embroidered. And if you can do a logo on a name brand hat, do that. I like adidas hats, if you send me one i will wear it for you!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here's a clever idea. We're making some of these for an actual vendor at the moment, but anyone can produce them...... Puzzle Lights. Google it. You can cut the basic templates, but also cut out your information on them. No one will throw these away.