• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What techniques do you guys use to cut perforated vinyl without it messing up on edges?

0igo

So this question is mostly for car windows that have a rubber edge trim around the windows, where you cant easily glide the blade along it, how do you guys cut perforated vinyl without cutting the rubber?

Starter

You should cut back from the rubber approx. 1/8" and edge seal the perf with 8519 or edge sealer.

papabud

Lone Wolf
when i have window perf i cut it 1 of 2 ways. a good tuck and edge cut or i have a little metal washer i put the knife into and it glides along making a uniform cut

Dan360

I tend to just use my finger(s) between the knife and frame as a spacer. Might not be the safest, but I find it easier to adjust for width and faster than reaching for another tool.

shoresigns

I tend to just use my finger(s) between the knife and frame as a spacer. Might not be the safest, but I find it easier to adjust for width and faster than reaching for another tool.

This is what I do. Just brace your fingers on the edge of the window wherever you can, and cut carefully. Takes a bit of practice. Try one of those mini snap-blade knives—I find them much easier to hold steady and cut straight than an X-acto, which just wobbles all over the place.

S'N'S

It also pays to use stainless blades so you don't scratch the window. If your a bit heavy handed a standard blade will scratch where you cut on the glass.

0igo

when i have window perf i cut it 1 of 2 ways. a good tuck and edge cut or i have a little metal washer i put the knife into and it glides along making a uniform cut
I'm trying to picture the washer but can't lol. Could you post a picture sometime?