• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White cut vinyl issues

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I have a couple quick questions about white cut vinyl. 751 Cast Oracal cut vinyl that we had provided to a customer a few years back and they had installed.

They put it on their gas station fuel canopies and at SOME of the locations (I'm assuming places that get a lot of sun), over the last 3 years it has started to crack in the corners and also has a white chalk running from it and staining the red background. I've seen both of these things happen before but I guess my questions would be...

Is there a cleaner that will take this white chalk running off and clean the red behind it? They have tried a number of cleaning products from alcohol - dawn dish soap and water.

Is there a better product or process to ensure these letters do not crack as easy and do not become chalky at all? My first thought is to laminate.

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Being in Wisconsin, it's a little hard to believe these letters only lasted 3 years, even if they're facing due south. Sounds more like a lesser quality vinyl was used. Usually just cleaning with mild soap and water will get rid of the oxidation. As for the cracking, I doubt they applied it wrong, so it leads me back to the vinyl being used.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I've switched back to FDC 4200 recently and haven't heard any other issues. Just the older stuff. Maybe it sat on the suppliers shelf for too long??

Bleemus

Older 751 was calendered I believe. 751C is when they switched to cast. I am surprised the FDC 4200 is showing better performance than a cast vinyl as it is a 5 year calandered. Are you sure it was 751C?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

TXFB.INS

we regularly use 651 in Texas and easily get 3 + years before any issues are seen, then its just minor corner cracking.
I am thinking that what was thought to be 751 was mislabeled and a low grade eco was used

for the bleeding issue, try using LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner

MikePro

rapid remover cleans-up most staining elements without destroying painted surfaces.
gotta be really really old vinyl, is my best guess.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Best cleaner I've EVER found is called DC-99.

I clean up old trailers and aluminum signs where the paint is oxidized.

Works great!!

Do a google search to find a supplier.

Smells like 409