• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why is corel the underdog?!

Signsforwhile

I had someone come in a couple of days ago looking for a job as a designer. Although I don't need one right now I chit chatted with him for a bit for future reference. I asked him what his experience was and what he designs in. He said he's experienced in sign design and fluent in photoshop, illustrator, in design and signlab. Then he asked me what we were on. I told him we design in corel and then basically cut and rip from flexi dx......his response

"Corel?.....(chuckle).....thanks for your time."

.....and he walked out!

what gives?

onesource

Didn't need him anyway!
Corel is great and when they add a good rip it'll be even better but a good program for any shop to have.
Adobe is also good, the bottom line is having whatever program you need to get the job done, there just tools.

synergy_jim

corel...

most colleges and new design degree programs teach adobe.

the word on campus is that corel is a childrens toy....

Shovelhead

Most designers are snobby puke wierdos who have there
nose up in the air anyway....probably couldn't find a job at an ad agency!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It seems that there's far more Adobe snobs than Corel snobs. The reaction of this specimen to your choice of software aptly demonstrates that it was an amateur. A competent hand might have a preference, probably due to familiarity, but should be able to do a journeyman job with most anything. An amateur always gives undue reverence to its tools.

There's precious little, if anything at all, that either Adobe or Corel can do that the other can't. They're functionally identical, or close enough to it.

ICEdesign

I work with corel everyday. I PERSONALLY think its much better than illustrator in so many ways..one big one though. I COULD ZOOM IN WITH THE SLIDER ON THE MOUSE!! LOVE IT!

Well i shouldnt say much better..they are basically the same..but i just like the layout much more. But i was taught all adobe before i got here and that everyone everywhere uses adobe and macs :p Goes to show whats true and whats not once you hit the real world.

chelo

Corel"d" bomb....

I use to think the same way ,till' my design computer crashed.Then I had to use a computer my son gave me with corel,and now corel X4 comes first ,then Flexi and gerber Omega.

KR3signguy

I personally prefer Illy for multiple reasons but I'd say that guy is quite ignorant for not giving corel a try.
He did you the favor of showing his true colors up front rather than hiring him & figuring it out down the road.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
STAY AWAY FROM ALL SOFTWARE SNOBS!

He did you a favor by walking out.

Me and another designer are working freelance for one particular company. He is Corel, I am Illy, the shop does not have a clear-cut preference (but they kinda prefer Illy) so we may have to flip a coin on what software to use because this .pdf crap is driving us loco!

Techman

My son had a graphics course. Some dweeb came in that appeared to be an undercover adobe propaganda spewer and salesman in my opinion. He gave a presentation pointing out how good adobe handled those few negative points concerning corel draw.

My son and a few others in his class (who have used both for making graphics for gaming) asked him about those negatives in illy such as you need a microscope to catch some of those nodes. And you need plugins to do many of those techniques found standard in Corel. The clone advised there are no problems with illy and proceeded to bring up all those old talking points about how illy was the first this and first that and how it dominates the entire graphics world etc. But he couldn't give any real meat substance as to why it was the graphics god.

The android even tried to use the "what do you know about software that I don't know" line. That is when one of those kids let the cyborg know he was a rank amateur compared to this kid who is actually a published gaming graphics pro.

Is it any wonder the kids are snobby?

OADesign

It seems that there's far more Adobe snobs than Corel snobs. The reaction of this specimen to your choice of software aptly demonstrates that it was an amateur. A competent hand might have a preference, probably due to familiarity, but should be able to do a journeyman job with most anything. An amateur always gives undue reverence to its tools.

There's precious little, if anything at all, that either Adobe or Corel can do that the other can't. They're functionally identical, or close enough to it.

I agree.

Columbia Signs

We have most of those programs you listed.... We can use whatever we want and CorelDraw is our favorite 90% of the time. Photoshop and AI the other 10%.

Air Art Girl

with the advances in Corel and Photo Paint, there isn't anything corel can't do. Adobe has a great name and I am sure marketing behind the product that Corel doesn't. People just know the Adobe name more, doesn't mean it's any better. I prefer Corel.

Bigdawg

Just Me
In the beginning of the desktop publishing revolution - when you went to film for offset printing - Corel's color management was horrible. It wouldn't RIP properly on almost any software - strange little quirks that would waste a ton of film. And there was basically no support from Corel whatsoever. Because of the color issues, ad agencies and most designers didn't use it because it wouldn't print the colors correctly that you were expecting. It didn't get much better until Corel 9 and even that had printing bugs.

Now Corel X3 (which is the one I use now) is terrific and has overcome all those old color management issues. But it's like Avery to signmakers - it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths so they just flat won't use it.

OldPaint

i use corel, photopaint, ONLY! i have played with illy and photoshop and it drives me crazy with all the little flyouts. and to me its "dummy oriented" sorta like GERBER GA6
was. i think gerber used illy as their base idea.
corel is geared more for people who know exactly what they will do next. no questions, less steps to get something done, less screen clutter with flyouts. and if you learn the hotkeys in corel you can move even faster.
photopaint.......for all that i do with it does
eveything and doesnt require another product program on my computer....loaded it when i installed corel. i also have another VECTOR program that is great and gets little attention ARTS & LETTERS EXPRESS 7.5. its under $100 and does almost anything corel does and i thing it handles color better. i think some of you print only people should try it.
also it has ton of clipart that you load with the program and is available to view at anytime unlike corel most clipart is on cd's that you have to load to find.

Bigdawg

Just Me
OP, I've used arts & Letters at a customer's shop. It does okay, but it's not what I would use for print, although it is a decent vectorizing program fo those on a budget.

Bill43mx

Funny you should mention this Stacy. I have a friend who just recently moved from thermal (Edge) printing to a Roland versacamm. He just told me earlier this week that they were getting Illustrator because "Corel corrupts the color". :rolleyes: If they say it enough it must be true, right?

Bill

In the beginning of the desktop publishing revolution - when you went to film for offset printing - Corel's color management was horrible. It wouldn't RIP properly on almost any software - strange little quirks that would waste a ton of film. And there was basically no support from Corel whatsoever. Because of the color issues, ad agencies and most designers didn't use it because it wouldn't print the colors correctly that you were expecting. It didn't get much better until Corel 9 and even that had printing bugs.

Now Corel X3 (which is the one I use now) is terrific and has overcome all those old color management issues. But it's like Avery to signmakers - it left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths so they just flat won't use it.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Well Bill, it used to be true. No question - and you still have to set it up right with the color management for printing to be correct, but no doubt that it has improved drastically over the years. It seems to print acceptably now - back in the day you got brown greens, horrible oranges and forget about a deep red!