• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why is corel the underdog?!

S

Sign-Man Signs

This topic is about as old as the PC vs. Mac...its preference...who cares.
Nice attitude. Maybe someone here could learn something. Personally, I care.We use Flexi 90% of the time. We use Corel for our embroidery, but I find it harder to use than Flexi. I think if you take the time, you can learn to use any software program to your advantage. Flexi, that's my preference, but who cares....

Bill43mx

and you still have to set it up right with the color management for printing to be correct,

While I admit to having no experience with Illustrator I would assume this statement to apply to it as well, is that correct? Or...all other issues aside...is Illustrator that much better at color management for a novice user?

Jim Hill

I like Corel better.

I have both PhotoShop and Corel but more and more I find myself using Corel.

I find I can do many tasks faster with Corel then I ever could with PhotoShop.

It's weird how many people seems to dislike Corel and I must admit after using both programs I use Corel for 90% of the design work and just find that it works great.

PhotoShop has it's place but many of the sign shops I am in contact with use Corel and love it.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill

SWFLA1

Yup, it's PC vs Mac, Nikon vs Canon, Rolex vs Omega, Boxers vs Briefs, or Corel vs the rest...

who cares...they're all good. Just depends on what you prefer....

synergy_jim

I work with corel everyday. I PERSONALLY think its much better than illustrator in so many ways..one big one though. I COULD ZOOM IN WITH THE SLIDER ON THE MOUSE!! LOVE IT!

Well i shouldnt say much better..they are basically the same..but i just like the layout much more. But i was taught all adobe before i got here and that everyone everywhere uses adobe and macs :p Goes to show whats true and whats not once you hit the real world.

Illustrator zooms in and out with the center mouse wheel/ball also. You hold the alt key to activate it....

As soon as I can get corel draw for mac I will try it out again.

Service Sign Co

adobe zooms just fine with the ctrl & alt keys with a scroll mouse. I actually prefer the ctrl + - for zooming. I just can't use the program well:help:

Jackpine

Corel since version1 here. I have in the past neglected it when I was using Signlab for most everything. But I have been back with version 10 printing from a Colorcamm 600 and now I use it for all my designing, digital print file to print on a Mutoh Falcon and vinyl work. Does everything I ask of it.

ShawnLVESP

If Corel would cost $5,000 then it would be the best program EVER!

Amazing how price can have a strong influence (sp?) on an item.

I have and use Corel x3, cs2 illy, PS and i have flexiletter. they all have good and bad points. I have been using Corel more lately.

SignManiac

A tool is just a tool: Until you put it in the hands of a talented master! Boxers or briefs? What about commando?

peavey123

I was taught Adobe ill, photoshop, quark, indesign, corel draw and more when i was in school for graphic design. I noticed right away how much easier adobe products are to use. I do like corel I'vebeen using it since i was in grade school but the only thing is the colour in corel is just not nice...that has been my experience...I even know print shops who will not take corel files because of the colour issues...

Joe Diaz

Wow, I remember this post from last month; I didn’t get a chance to say anything then.

My opinion of Software snobs are…. If for what ever reason they think one program is better then the other, more power to them. I kind of like being the under dog anyway. It makes me feel like I know something that the larger majority doesn’t :Big Laugh

We use Corel for everything here… print design, logo design, sign layouts, even web design, you name it. I absolutely love Corel Draw. And no other Adobe fan is going to convince me otherwise… anymore then I could do convince them… and to be honest with you, I wouldn’t even try because I don’t care what software someone else uses.

It’s just a tool, and just like picking out your favorite drill, it’s all based on what you feel more comfortable using. I’ve used Adobe before. I had to at my old job because we were all Mac/Adobe based. To be honest with you, I have no problem with Illustrator or Photoshop. They are amazing products, I just don’t feel as comfortable or confidante using them as I do Corel. It’s really as simple as that.

So really I see there being two different types of people in this instance. The people that want to convince others to switch over to their side because they truly think that it will help and make a difference… these are intelligent people that are trying to help and their hearts are in the right place, and then there are those who think they know it all, and want to prove how superior their software is only because they some how think that is a way that they can prove how much smarter they are than you. These people are childish and don’t see the bigger picture.

The person that stopped in to the Hudson Sign Co for a job sounds like he falls in the second category. His opinions would mean jack to me and with that type of attitude probably will have a difficult time in his hunt for a new job.

tommythesignguy

I have been on Corel since III. I use 12 now and it is my main design program for signs and tshirts although my partner is a photographer and adobe wiz. Each program has it's ups and downs and each a very useful purpose. Since we design magazines also, Indesign and contribute are in a class by themselves.

eforer

The folks at Corel have upped their game big time. When I was at art school a few years back, we were never exposed to corel products due to its poor reputation in terms of color management. Its the same issue that plagued the reputation of wintel machines in the grphics world for a long time as the mac os had vastly superior color management capabilities out of the box.

Personally, while I use adobe programs exclusively in my shop (except for rip obviously) I have some major beefs with their current offerings. I think Illustrator is in desperate need of a wholesale overhaul. Its a pig performance wise, has numerous bugs and still is ergonomic issues that have plagued it since back in the day. I'm seriously thinking about giving X4 a try. As far as photopaint goes, I'd have a hard time giving up photoshop, but I've heard its getting to be a real contender.

Competition is always good, software snobs are always morons and if Corel keeps up this level of improvement with each successive generation of product, Adobe is going to have to work hard to keep up.

Ken

So the old arguement....
If you are talking about the design suites..you gotta wonder why its Illy 4 and Corel 4...like its all just a big sales pitch. Next week it will be Illy 5...If the regulators will allow it..the 2 companies will merge. And if you think that will happen...NOW is the time to buy into corel.( I mean buying shares of the company)
I admit that I am a fan of corel..not a "fan"...a user..I'm a "USER"..like its a drug...It's Easter Sunday..and X3 was up and running a few times today..cause the world dont stop for some eccentric holiday.
Corel 4 Me.
Ken