• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why is corel the underdog?!

OldPaint

I was taught Adobe ill, photoshop, quark, indesign, corel draw and more when i was in school for graphic design. I noticed right away how much easier adobe products are to use. I do like corel I'vebeen using it since i was in grade school but the only thing is the colour in corel is just not nice...that has been my experience...I even know print shops who will not take corel files because of the colour issues...

YOU WERE TAUGHT ALL MAC PROGRAMS...ON A MAC!!!!!
as for print shops not takin COREL FILES...your print shop is the PROBLEM!!!!
ive used illy, canvas, corel, arts & letters......and youre ILLY is the only one that you prefer.
ITS BECAUSE ITS WHAT YOU KNOW.....
not because its a better program.
ive used COREL since ver 3!!!!!! on a 386DX40 with 4 megs a ram!!!!! and i STILL USE COREL now X3 and its dose everthing i need it to do...
i havent loaded PHOTOSHOP OR ILLY since version 6.......I DONT NEED DEAD SPACE ON MY HARD DRIVE!!!

flyinhawaiian968

LOL! I too have been using Corel since version 1! Love the program, despite its bad track record over the past 20 something years. I've also used Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator, and even Pagemaker (even when it was Aldus!!!) over the years and still love to use Corel for 80% of my design and layout program. Just lately I've been using Photoshop CS2 with Alien Skin filters for some enhancements, but usually do my little thing in CS2 and bring it right back into Corel for finalizing.

Back in the day when Corel was new on the market (around '86 or so IIRC), it was a very Mac type of world for graphics, and most folks used pc's for database and billing software, not graphics. Because Corel wasn't available for macs, everyone (IE, mac users) decided it wasn't really a graphics program and dismissed it altogether.

It also didn't help that every even-numbered version of Corel had serious issues (4 was a disaster, 8 was garbage, and 10 I think was the worst p.o.s. ever released!), and the color issues with cmyk vs. rgb were never fully resolved. Despite all of that, Corel could do things much easier than the Adobe products, in less time, with less effort and knowledge, and I think that just pissed off the Mac folks to no end, so even with the mac version of CorelDraw (used 11 or 12 on an I Mac for a while, it was amusing but quite unproductive!) was released, none of the mac camp would welcome it. My guess is that with the amount of schooling and time spent learning the Adobe way, it was either too hard to understand the idiot-proof layout of Corel or too hard to swallow the fact that Corel was able to do everything photoshop and illustrator could do and more!

I've always wondered when colleges would start offering classes for designing in Corel, but I suspect that will not happen, as Adobe truly has a grip on the market at the university level.

I'm now donning my flame suit for whatever comes my way!

bjones

I've been using both for a long time and personally prefer Illustrator.. it just feels better.. more polished. I have a feeling most people like Corel so much because it's 1/5th the price of the adobe package.. if price was equal there'd be a lot more Adobe support :)

OldPaint

OK FLAME ON)))))))))))))))))))) i dont know where you got the EVEN # STORIES...3 was good, had a trace THEN, that is as good as whats in X3. 4 the trace was gone, but for a SOLID VERSION.. it was. considering the ram and hard drive restrictions. now hers where it gets debatable. for me 5 & 6 WAS JUNK!!!! its the only versions of corel THAT WILL NOT CUT DIRECT TO PLOTTERS. why? corel leased its engine(code)for that part of it to a company called EURO-CUT/COCUT. these programs hit the sign shows sayin their prgram worked seamlessly fron inside corel!!!! GEE NO WONDER, IT WAS COREL!!!! so for version 5 & 6 was unable to cut i stayed with 4!!!!! NOW corel 7, WAS ONE OF THE BEST OF THE TRUE COREL programs. and it brought the cut capabliity back and set the work page to 150ft x 150ft...instead of the 3-6 30" page. COREL 8 was the joining of COREL with XARA. a lot of the new stuff in 8 was from XARA. corel was supposed to help them market XARA but instead barrowed heavily from it and applied it all to COREL 8. it was ok for a BETA. COREL 9 is the best for FONTS...had some of the best fonts added to it, from some of the formost foundries. as a program, it was ok, had a lot of problems with the FIT TEXT TO PATH. 7 WAS STILL THE SOLIDEST VERSION TILL COREL 10....after the 2 updates, THEN IT WAS A GOOD PROGRAM. i stayed with 10 till i bought X3.
and it is on a an equal with 7!!!!
as for illy..it to me is more ANAL and amature oriented. corel let you do what you waht on the fly......lot of shortcut keys and non restricted.
if you really want to see whos the better...why does most SIGN ONLY PROGRAM emulate a lot of corel features and i see NONE using ILLY type stuff.)))))))))

Joe Diaz

See, we skipped a few so I haven't used them all. I liked 9 and now X3 the best. 12 wasn't too bad. The first version I remember using was 4. But I was pretty young then too. I'm sure all software suites experience good and not so good versions so that wouldn't be a very compelling argument.

flyinhawaiian968

OK FLAME ON)))))))))))))))))))) i dont know where you got the EVEN # STORIES...3 was good, had a trace THEN, that is as good as whats in X3. 4 the trace was gone, but for a SOLID VERSION.. it was. considering the ram and hard drive restrictions. now hers where it gets debatable. for me 5 & 6 WAS JUNK!!!! its the only versions of corel THAT WILL NOT CUT DIRECT TO PLOTTERS. why? corel leased its engine(code)for that part of it to a company called EURO-CUT/COCUT. these programs hit the sign shows sayin their prgram worked seamlessly fron inside corel!!!! GEE NO WONDER, IT WAS COREL!!!! so for version 5 & 6 was unable to cut i stayed with 4!!!!! NOW corel 7, WAS ONE OF THE BEST OF THE TRUE COREL programs. and it brought the cut capabliity back and set the work page to 150ft x 150ft...instead of the 3-6 30" page. COREL 8 was the joining of COREL with XARA. a lot of the new stuff in 8 was from XARA. corel was supposed to help them market XARA but instead barrowed heavily from it and applied it all to COREL 8. it was ok for a BETA. COREL 9 is the best for FONTS...had some of the best fonts added to it, from some of the formost foundries. as a program, it was ok, had a lot of problems with the FIT TEXT TO PATH. 7 WAS STILL THE SOLIDEST VERSION TILL COREL 10....after the 2 updates, THEN IT WAS A GOOD PROGRAM. i stayed with 10 till i bought X3.
and it is on a an equal with 7!!!!

That was from personal experience. 4 was horrible! Have the box and that's about all that's left of that one! I think I stepped on that disc with cleated shoes, vowing to never use Corel again!!! For me, 5 was extremely stable (was doing silkscreening back then) and never really had much of an issue with it. Company upgraded to 6 and it was just a no-win situation. I think if I looked at the box on the shelf wrong, it would crash on me!

When 7 came out, it was the best thing since sliced bread! I still think its been the most stable version ever, don't really remember 8, so I doubt I ever had it. 9 was sort of a blur, but 10 was about the same as 4 was for us! 11 lasted a long time, and just about 3 or 4 months ago I finally decided to upgrade to X3. As for X3, we've had our fair share of issues with it, with one machine never crashing and the other refusing to open even the smallest and simplest of files! Of course, resetting it has made it perfectly stable again, with no issues of opening files.

OldPaint

i had 4 loaded and cuttin to my plotter. i bought 5 with great expectations for it. i loaded it AND COULD NOT CUT ANYMORE. i deleted it and still COULDNT CUT.had to FDISK/FORMAT and reload everything back to 4!!!!! which i ran everyday without a problem till 7 CAME OUT!!!! AND I AGREE IT WAS THE BEST COREL EVER MADE!!!!

flyinhawaiian968

BWAHAAHAHHAAAA!!! I've convinced OldPaint to agree with me!!! My plan is working!!!!

Now I'm gonna convert the rest of the world into using Corel X3 and Adobe Streamline 4 for everything vector!!!! MUAAAHAHAAAA!!!!

streamline%20logo.jpg

Ken

As far as the Trace goes, I've been learning to tweak my nodes ( hope the wife isn't reading this..)))
I use the quick trace, then edit nodes from there. Yeah, I could send it off to the Vector doctor..and I find his service to be..great...
As far as working on Sunday goes...well it's just now and then...time management means making use of your time. I think I'm using it.
Cheers!
Ken

peavey123

YOU WERE TAUGHT ALL MAC PROGRAMS...ON A MAC!!!!!
as for print shops not takin COREL FILES...your print shop is the PROBLEM!!!!
ive used illy, canvas, corel, arts & letters......and youre ILLY is the only one that you prefer.
ITS BECAUSE ITS WHAT YOU KNOW.....
not because its a better program.
ive used COREL since ver 3!!!!!! on a 386DX40 with 4 megs a ram!!!!! and i STILL USE COREL now X3 and its dose everthing i need it to do...
i havent loaded PHOTOSHOP OR ILLY since version 6.......I DONT NEED DEAD SPACE ON MY HARD DRIVE!!!

Calm down man. lol Actually old piant. If you actually read my post. I said i have been a corel user since i was in grade school. So about 13 years now. I have only been using Adobe products for 6 or 7. I was just saying Adobe products are easier to use in my opinion.

I was trained on PC and MAC..and what does the computer have to do with anything? haha besides changing the shortcut keys...

As for print shops not taking corel files...they aren't my print shop....just stating that I know of shops who don't accept corel files...you assume a lot eh?

SO I currently use both corel draw and Illustrator at my shop. You only use corel. What are you doing in this conversation anyways? You're obviously just a corel fanboy.