• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

X6 slowing down?

Colin

What's odd is that I'm only experiencing this sluggishness with CorelDraw, nothing else.

The only possible correlation I can make is that it may have started about a week ago after I deleted about 60 fonts from my system. But you would think that would make it run faster!

SignBurst PCs

There are MANY other possible issues. Here are some that come to mind:

Malware
Failing or under-performing hard drive or other hardware
Corrupt Fonts
Failure to perform updates on Corel
Too large of files for your hardware
Other software consuming resources
Multiple security software installations (i.e. McAfee and Norton running at the same time)

Windows 7 now has a Performance Monitor (type performance into search bar) that you can add CPU and Memory into the graph. Run Corel and observe the monitor to see what is going on.

SignBurst PCs

What's odd is that I'm only experiencing this sluggishness with CorelDraw, nothing else.

The possible correlation I can make is that it may have started about a week ago after I deleted about 60 fonts from my system. But you would think that would make it run faster!

Do you run other design software. CorelDraw many be the only software that tasks your system enough to notice.

Colin

Do you run other design software. CorelDraw many be the only software that tasks your system enough to notice.

Yes, I have Adobe Design Standard 5.5. (PS/Illy/InDesign), but usually just running CorelDraw X6.

The thing is, it used to absolutely fly on this relatively new computer, now this pausing on copy/paste/open/close. Grrrr

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Diddling the environment, even big diddles like adding more memory and disk space, will only produce micro-improvements in performance with X6.

Corel X6 is a dog, a real woofer, performance-wise. It's just a massive big blob of code and data and there's little anyone can do to kick it in the a$$ and make it run at anything resembling an acceptable rate.

Colin

Diddling the environment, even big diddles like adding more memory and disk space, will only produce micro-improvements in performance with X6.

Corel X6 is a dog, a real woofer, performance-wise. It's just a massive big blob of code and data and there's little anyone can do to kick it in the a$$ and make it run at anything resembling an acceptable rate.

Except for the fact that for the last several months since installing it - up until very recently - it was blisteringly fast. There's something going on here to be causing this which I'd really like to resolve.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Except for the fact that for the last several months since installing it - up until very recently - it was blisteringly fast. There's something going on here to be causing this which I'd really like to resolve.

If and when you find it, let me know. X6 has been a dog since the moment I installed it.

idsignsil

There was another thread about this very issue. X6 has been slow for about the past 3 months. Don't know why, when I installed it it ran very quick. I would have it, AI & PS open and they would all run quickly. Then one day X6 just got slow. I tried hold F8 when I started it, and it did nothing but make me have to go back and redo all my preferences and settings. I was also told to dedicate more RAM to the use, so I dedicated the max, and I was told to open X6 before all other programs. NONE OF THIS HAS HELPED.....X6 still runs slow, and sometimes does not respond at all. I have attached a screen shot of what I am running computer wise.

Joe Diaz, have you had any problems with X6? I figure you being the master you are, would push the program harder than any of us.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 82

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Just guessing here but you said the only change you could think of was dropping those fonts.
I'd focus on that and see if you can find any references to X6 font problems on-line.
They did tune up or change the font engine in 6.
I'm still on X5 and font handling seems to be a weak spot for Corel.
I have it running side by side on the same system with CS5 and it will not access all the fonts that AI will. It also chokes on imbedded Japanese character sets that Illy pops open with little drama.
Maybe it is trying to reference or display the missing fonts and that is causing a slowdown.
Another thing you could try is to open up the win task manager and see what kind of memory & cpu usage Corel is drawing when it starts to a crawl.
It could point to a paging slowdown or CPU(s) running at max (unlikely).

On the other hand you could get a Mac and not have to worry about Corel slowing down.....

wayne k
guam usa

Colin

GOT IT!!!

Someone on the Corel forum recommended searching for and dumping all the tmp files on the computer. That did it!

I recall searching for the tmp files months ago using the old XP method of *.tmp and nothing showed up. Use %temp% instead. I had 12 GB worth.

Give it a go bob, and let us know.

Techman

you guys forgot about Temp File Cleaner

ITs the best you can get. Make sure the one you get has the Bomb Icon. All others are fake.