• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

xc 540 printhead problems

crny1

Hello all,
I had to leave town and I had a client that needed something right then. My son (who has done it plenty times before) said he would print it for him while I was gone. Low and behold the media clamp wasnt in right and sure enough it took out the second head (right side of A group).
Got a new head and installed it. Power unplugged, no drops of ink aywhere on the new board of the head. Did a couple cleanings after installing and did a test print. NOTHING from that head. Checked cables, all good. Looked over the dampners and all looked good. Ink in them and O ring looks intact. Unplugged the machine and removed the ribbon cables again and reinserted. Tried test print again and now the left side of A group isnt firing. I noticed that now the machine thinks there are empty cartridges. slot 2,6,7,8,12 all show empty. There is plenty of ink in the cartridge though. Will these machines not try to pump ink if they think the cartridge is empty? Could this be the issue? Any other thoughts as to why its doing this?
Replacing the heads are pretty straight forward for anyone with some mechanical knowledge and I certainly did not think it was complicated to change. But obviously I have done something wrong. Suggestions? Thanks

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When you did the cleaning cycles are you 100% sure that ink actually flowed through the head? I am thinking that the cap top for that head was bad already and you just didn't notice until the new head was installed. It happens all the time. So the cap top probably didn't seal with the head so no ink went into it. Then when you took the cables out and back in again, did you wait 15 minutes after unplugging the machine? If not, you most likely blew the fuse as both heads will stop firing if the fuse blows. The machine holds a charge for up to 15 minutes after it is unplugged.

crny1

I did not let the machine sit for 15 minutes. And I know better that capacitors hold a charge! My wife is gone picking up fuses now. I did move a fuse out of another spot and into that one and it blew again. No ribbon cable swapping just the fuse in the back.

crny1

Ok,
unplugged the machine for almost 2 hours while my wife went and got fuses for the machine. While she was gone I double checked the ribbon cables were seated correctly, no ink on the head board. Changed the cap top corresponding to the new head. Pulled ink through the head. All looked fine. Installed the new fuse, plugged the machine back in and ran test print. Group A - Nothing. Fuse blown again. What am I missing?

crny1

Well I unplugged all 6 ribbon cables off the head board and it blew the fuse again. Pretty much means its the head board. :(