• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1 shot not drying

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Could be the temperature, but how old is the can and was the lid on tight.... not just on, but on tight ??

Did you add anything to the paint from an old job ??
Did you add anything to the paint before this job ??
Is it lettering or bulletin ??
In other words, was this background or lettering ??

gabagoo

I also remember my ex partner would transfer the paint from a can to a coffee cup but there were certain cups that released something that made the paint never dry. Banners too can have those properties. We had a banner hanging here now as a sample that took 3 years to tack up.

mrchips

I always add some low temp reducer and about 10% hardner. Dries in about 3-4hrs at 50 degrees.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

JR's

surface was mdo.

mixed real well.

New paint Bulletin ,I did tint it with some older paint that was on the shelve. 1 shot lettering shading black.

temp in the shop doesn't go below 55.

no reducer.

Thanks
JR

Last edited:

OldPaint

it might have been the paint you "tinted" it with. ive had the MAROON......do this to me. try a hair dryer on it, heat it one letter at a time. might help. other then that if you know anyone at a AUTO PAINT place, see if you can get a pint of A/E DRYER. mix a little of the blue with it, and repaint........worst case senero.........WASH THE BOARD WITH MINERAL SPIRITS........and start over.

JR's

Thanks Evey one.
its the background color. I will have some heat and a fan on it overnight see if that will work.

Can you ad japan dryer to the the new 1shot Chromatic paint?

Thanks
JR

Baz

Mind telling us the colors you used?? Like OP says. Maroon 1Shot just doesn't dry well on its own. I have switched brands when it comes to using maroon.

Baz

JR - The only color i switched from 1 Shot is maroon. I now use Benjamin Moores oil based rust paint. Everything else is still 1 Shot, and i use allot of Brilliant Blue without any problems. Never used mixing black though.

Sign Works

I've experienced this quite often with Chromatic Bulletin Enamels after Spraylat took over this line, my solution is to always use 1 Shot Hardner any time I'm using Chromatic or 1 shot enamels.

Attachments

• g8151.jpg
    g8151.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 196

Deaton Design

What did you mix it in? If the can or whatever had anything in it, it may have retarded the drying. Years ago, I found out the hard way not to use wax coated cups to mix my paint in. The wax would melt into the paint and cause it to take forever to dry. Other than that, get some heat on it, or a fan like you said. That should speed it up.

JR's

Hi Deaton, I mixed it in the can that it came in. I think from now on I will be adding 1 Shot Hardener that Sign Work recommended.

Thanks
JR