• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

10'x10' rigid aluminum / ACM sign faces

signlords

Customer is tired of replacing his 10x10 pans every hurricane season. He had somebody put exterior spotlights on his sign and would like some form of metal panels. I don't know of any distributors (at least not in or near Florida) that sell any sheet of aluminum or ACM that large. Any suggestions? I just read an old thread on this forum about butt seaming with lord and a 2-3" alum strip. Is this the way to go? If so anybody have insight? Never used this method? I assume bevel the edges with a router or table saw, fill the seam with LORD?

d fleming

Then the faces hold but the sign goes down. Retractable flex faces! Like those awnings you see on tv! Just kidding. Seriously though, he loses his faces every year? Would removal of pans when storm approaches be feasible? Hurricanes don't exactly sneak up on us.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahhh, i feel so bad for your customer. :( He's lost some property during a storm..... where they KNOW this sh!t is gonna happen..... and still does it anyway.

So, make a grid work of aluminum angle and attach 10mm alumalite. Then, if it let's loose during a storm, other than having to replace it, they might have a headless person laying around down there someplace.

Just remember, the sign was built one way..... to receive pan faces. Any deviation from that, puts whomever does an alternate installation at risk for any and all damages possibly rendered from any storm or anything else that could possibly happen. I wouldn't do it. Tell him to erect a proper sign, which won't fall down in a hurricane.

Signs 'n' Stuff

I would be getting your engineer to specify sticking 10mm composite panel together in a hurricane zone sounds like a recipe for disaster. when 10'x 5' 10mm panel breaks away in a 200knot wind it will do some damage. I would not want to be the one to carry the can for it. Another possibility is make the pole fold down like some of the street light do for light replacement and fold down and secure when the storms are coming.