Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10yr Old Wrap Removal Suggestions

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by WorxMedia, Apr 6, 2018.

1. WorxMedia

WorxMedia New Member

May 2, 2017
    Humble
    We have a client that is wanting to rewrap their 18 wheeler box truck. We will have to remove the wrap that has been on the trailer for at least 10yrs (woohoo). My normal "go-to" to removal is using a heat gun/torch and rapid remover for any residual adhesive. For larger areas I will use a weed torch and hit it with rapid remover. I have never had to remove a wrap this old (and not looking forward to it). I came across this video on youtube and wondering if anyone knows what the "secret recipe" chemical they are using to remove their vinyl. Im not trying to spend 2 weeks removing vinyl off a 50' trailer. lol Thanks for any suggestions!

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  2. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Beyond Most

Nov 20, 2008
    Big Brother Knows.
    An acetone mix is my guess.

3. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    There's a website and contact information on that video. Why not contact them ??

• Like Like x 2
  4. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    we found that the use of a high pressure heated sprayer works great

just be aware that the vinyl will shred and go EVERYWHERE ,so do it in an enclosed area that is easy to clean afterwards

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. tim99

tim99 Member

Jun 9, 2013
    general
    methylene Chloride Solvent is "melt" away the wrap. its got a high price tag imo not to mention it will burn your skin if your not careful

6. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Central Coast California
    I don't know what it is, but the video leaves too many questions left unanswered for me.

How old is the wrap? Is it temporary transit wrap? Is it even laminated? If its super hot stuff, why isn't it dissolving the ink? Where do I get some?

• Like Like x 2
  7. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    agree, the way it is bubbling, there is either a diluted form of methylene Chloride Solvent or a like product

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  8. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    i have never used it but i have heard people use wall paper remover steamers
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. WorxMedia

WorxMedia New Member

May 2, 2017
    Humble
    I called and left numerous voice mail messages and no response. I dont think they want to share their "secret recipe". I thought sharing is caring. They would make bank selling that stuff haha.

10. WorxMedia

WorxMedia New Member

May 2, 2017
    Humble
    I dont think what they are using is methylene. They have no face mask on as they are spraying it and they are using their bare hands to pull it off. On the video it says its a mixture of bio-degradable chemicals. Im going to mix rapid remover with something and try to come up with my own solvent lol.

11. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I am surprised no one mentioned the MBX Vinyl Zapper yet. It would take awhile, but it removes both the vinyl and adhesive.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  12. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    We had similar results using this:
    Vinyl-Off by CrystalTek™ Green products that work
    It worked on old cracked printed Controltac and even older Electrostatic Scotchcal off 42ft aluminum fuel tanker trailers.
    Just had to leave it on long enough for the vinyl & adhesive to turn into rubbery snot.

wayne k
    guam usa

• Like Like x 3
  13. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    I feel bad for whoever tries to remove a 53' trailer wrap with the zapper.

I remove wraps with the steamer. Many times I can pull a wrap off a box truck by hand but you have to pull it off carefully, and I make sure I position the truck in the sunlight.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Covering a 50'x8' panel 2 or 3 inches at a time with a handheld buffer does not sound like a good time to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Well it depends on how much people are struggling with other methods. If the traditional way doesn't work and the other options, the MBX vinyl zapper will take awhile but will work regardless.

16. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    You're gonna go through a coupla 100 wheels, too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    What about cleaning up what's there and going over the top? Surprised the trailer is still on the road. Normal use kills them in about 5 to 6 years on average. Friend of mine did that last week. Trailer was getting near the end of its life and client didn't want to pay for removal.

18. equippaint

equippaint Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    The problem with chemicals is disposal. Biodegradable or not, in most places if you wash that stuff onto the ground and get caught you will be in a mess of trouble. You cant just put it in the trash either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Does it have to come off? Why not just wrap over the top. Tons of trucks we do have 2 plus layers of vinyl.

20. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    If the underlying wrap is still good then, yes wrap over it. But if it's starting to flake off then it will take the new one with it.