• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

10yr Old Wrap Removal Suggestions

WorxMedia

We have a client that is wanting to rewrap their 18 wheeler box truck. We will have to remove the wrap that has been on the trailer for at least 10yrs (woohoo). My normal "go-to" to removal is using a heat gun/torch and rapid remover for any residual adhesive. For larger areas I will use a weed torch and hit it with rapid remover. I have never had to remove a wrap this old (and not looking forward to it). I came across this video on youtube and wondering if anyone knows what the "secret recipe" chemical they are using to remove their vinyl. Im not trying to spend 2 weeks removing vinyl off a 50' trailer. lol Thanks for any suggestions!

2B

we found that the use of a high pressure heated sprayer works great

just be aware that the vinyl will shred and go EVERYWHERE ,so do it in an enclosed area that is easy to clean afterwards

Last edited:

tim99

methylene Chloride Solvent is "melt" away the wrap. its got a high price tag imo not to mention it will burn your skin if your not careful

TimToad

I don't know what it is, but the video leaves too many questions left unanswered for me.

How old is the wrap? Is it temporary transit wrap? Is it even laminated? If its super hot stuff, why isn't it dissolving the ink? Where do I get some?

2B

methylene Chloride Solvent is "melt" away the wrap. its got a high price tag imo not to mention it will burn your skin if your not careful

agree, the way it is bubbling, there is either a diluted form of methylene Chloride Solvent or a like product

Last edited:

petepaz

i have never used it but i have heard people use wall paper remover steamers
024964195343.jpg

WorxMedia

There's a website and contact information on that video. Why not contact them ??

I called and left numerous voice mail messages and no response. I dont think they want to share their "secret recipe". I thought sharing is caring. They would make bank selling that stuff haha.

WorxMedia

I dont think what they are using is methylene. They have no face mask on as they are spraying it and they are using their bare hands to pull it off. On the video it says its a mixture of bio-degradable chemicals. Im going to mix rapid remover with something and try to come up with my own solvent lol.

ams

I am surprised no one mentioned the MBX Vinyl Zapper yet. It would take awhile, but it removes both the vinyl and adhesive.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I am surprised no one mentioned the MBX Vinyl Zapper yet. It would take awhile, but it removes both the vinyl and adhesive.

I feel bad for whoever tries to remove a 53' trailer wrap with the zapper.

I remove wraps with the steamer. Many times I can pull a wrap off a box truck by hand but you have to pull it off carefully, and I make sure I position the truck in the sunlight.

4HshWBtlOtZ2dO12u3WhBGu8oUeEJlX42ED2ImuXJ7k9Ka18CzpnZwboEadoeWU9OJ9fgIe99ALxXgAxkwt4pbqm4xbjuWrPfcRCSf2l5uShBKf8wbMTYkBYrR-1O1g50kbspAJ6rO2M3c9QQWvVShwkqMTaSvWFof8o0jn5Mtu4tMEbMSgVcsDu0lDVy0v6NG01CSgV2kWJWJzby8rjIBkPQFKyav0Ky0PdeTEu3j5G8qOj5ClZIpOJfUXBiAWvzsXBr7ctiiViaHV0qhjWbnV2x23yDMoBYvjO5c3cdcAdms64ZEgrlGQ2ZMbdf91F_dumqI2fwJ3JgtED6__KfHhrCvLukoE8e6PPuVMP6ebVouyd0Fn1MhDZ4vwIIsuJ4z6LovA7SG_YD-VxjZemhQBxfd4f4imakUW30-aVGLIg-odx4_BUpbNMtfVGNaue0fB7TdNvq_2keEYdR_6MbC3WvOywlCVfysRVrHT8PrZhIrzqiGDW5fgQKxYItYSGireffIb2BdyIoW7Ljj0DqG0-8ZmHnOENFgLXRb0eRyD91tvZC3QreKHFql8qJS98dfRRGgKDJmEDJgYQGWcQszTPLeHdK8kSnOYKjKjPz7HM6IxB0ezIePWJjdvQ8q-WVGF0Uq-wKArotDsMMYreu-TgEQvhafTh1A=w715-h535-no

ams

Covering a 50'x8' panel 2 or 3 inches at a time with a handheld buffer does not sound like a good time to me.

Well it depends on how much people are struggling with other methods. If the traditional way doesn't work and the other options, the MBX vinyl zapper will take awhile but will work regardless.

rjssigns

What about cleaning up what's there and going over the top? Surprised the trailer is still on the road. Normal use kills them in about 5 to 6 years on average. Friend of mine did that last week. Trailer was getting near the end of its life and client didn't want to pay for removal.

equippaint

The problem with chemicals is disposal. Biodegradable or not, in most places if you wash that stuff onto the ground and get caught you will be in a mess of trouble. You cant just put it in the trash either.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Does it have to come off? Why not just wrap over the top. Tons of trucks we do have 2 plus layers of vinyl.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If the underlying wrap is still good then, yes wrap over it. But if it's starting to flake off then it will take the new one with it.