• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

12 Or 14ft Overhead Door?

tiredcreations

We're planning to build an addition where we will do all of our vehicle graphic installs and I was wondering if a 14ft overhead door is necessary. We are going with a 16ft high clearance so that's not the issue, I just can't ever remember needing to wrap or letter anything over 12ft. The space will be about 26ft deep so I don't see us ever pulling in a semi or RV. The last box truck we wrapped was 11.5ft tall. What vehicles are you guys working on that are over 12ft?

We'll also park our bucket truck inside but it's a small one and only a little over 9ft tall. Eventually we will get a bigger one but again, I don't think I've ever seen them need over 12ft.

Please shed some light on what I'm missing or will a 12ft door be fine?

Billct2

Always get the biggest you can. We have a 14' door and if it's on the road we can fit it in the bay. But the bay is also big enough for a 53' trailer.
Some shorter equipment can get pretty tall, like garbage trucks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When we bought our current building, out back in the truck bay area, we raised the roof to accommodate a 14' x 14' door with a 16' roof clearance at the one end. Ours goes back 56', then goes down to a 12' ceiling for another 62' with a 10' door at the other end for a total of about 120'. Tree companies, refuse trucks, hydro-seeding equipment and all kinds of other oddball things fit without a problem. Most things are under 12' like you said, but I would venture to say two or three times a year, we get the tall ones, then we're glad we spent the extra on going bigger.

edit:
I would also reconsider and go further than 26'. Also, put a door at the other end, so you can drive things right through if need be.

tiredcreations

edit:
I would also reconsider and go further than 26'. Also, put a door at the other end, so you can drive things right through if need be.

It's actually 28' but that's the outside dimension. At the property line so I can't go any more

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're lucky. Around these parts, when putting up any permanent structure, it must set back from a property line by 25' on the sides and I think 30' front and back. Have you checked into that kinda code ??

equippaint

13'6 is legal max height without a permit so Id go with 14, you never know what you may get. 102" is legal width. Shorter doors seem to get hit more often too because people don't open them all the way. When they get some age, they get stuck sometimes when you open them completely too in my experience which is more reason to get the tallest you can.

tiredcreations

You're lucky. Around these parts, when putting up any permanent structure, it must set back from a property line by 25' on the sides and I think 30' front and back. Have you checked into that kinda code ??

Yes. Pretty easy going in this Village, plus it's zoned light industrial. Zero setback on the rear and sides, however I need a 1 hour fire rating if I'm 5' or closer to the property line.

papabud

Lone Wolf
while yes 12' will work for you. I would suggest going 14' if you can. Its that one odd job you will have to do outside cause you just can not get it in the building that will cause you head aches.
we have both 12 and 14' doors. while most everything fits in either door. the extra room does come in handy. and i dont have to worry about an underling taking out a mirror cause his miss judged the door frame

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I just put 14' doors in at my new shop after living with a 12' door for 15 years. 14' is hands down the way to go.