• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

12' X 30' Dimensional Sign for Xmas

SignManiac

Every year we throw together a float for the annual Festival of Lights parade in our little downtown. The next day we strip it off the trailer because we need the trailer for other stuff.

With the new storage space we have, we decided to build a permanent float that we will use every year. Now that it's built, we'll just store if for next year and not have to invest the time and money into it again.

We found an old house trailer chassis for sale on the side of the road. $300.00 which was pretty cheap. Put a new deck on it and proceeded to build our float. Drew a rough sketch on paper and went to town.

Inside we have a 6,000 watt generator running all the lights, full on board six speaker stereo system playing Christmas songs along with a smoke machine for the working chimney.

I think we spent about $10k with labor and materials and could probably sell it for $35k if we wanted to. Lots of potential for custom build corporate floats.

Anyway, here are some photo's we took today after putting on the finishing touches....

I Have to say, this was a lot of fun because we finished it two days ahead of schedule instead of three hours before the start of the parade like usual :)

Attachments

• IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 104

SignManiac

I went up for a test ride today but, this sleigh is for Santa. He's the commander in charge come parade day.

SignManiac

I do have to give a shout out to Charlie (Rouge Roller) for inspiring me to use styrofoam. That stuff is easy and fun to work with. Now I'm itching to buy a CNC hotwire. I can see all kinds of possibilities down the road. Is there any end to all the stuff you can do in the sign business????

GP

Wow. That is wonderful. Just perfect.

Sadly, our parade usual consists of 4 or 5 well done floats, and forty-five wrapped vans from every radio station within a 300 mile radius.

Merry Christmas.

SD&F

That is really a great thing to do. I hope one day to be able to do something like that here with the shop, they are sooo creative I can only imagine what it would look like.
It looks so cool...have fun.

SignManiac

The house structure is framed with 2"x4" studs and sheathed with OSB, just like a real house. The chimney is carved 3/4" styrofoam and the tudor style framing is done with 2" foam. Just glued it in place with Power Grab adhesive. The rest of the decorations are flatbed printed on scrap PVC. We used chicken wire to create all of the snow drifts and covered it with fabric. Then we used spray adhesive to stick the magic sparkle dust all over it.

Just used everything at our disposal in the shop. A little of this, a little of that.