• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

.125 Mill aluminum, What epoxy?

2B

the mounting plate is .125 mill finish aluminum, and the top plate is also .125 mill finish aluminum.

What is the suggested epoxy/adhesive for a mill finish surface?
the sizes will vary but the max size is 18" x 18"

with the oxidation that happens with mill finish, am hesitant to use the VHB tape.
Loctite or JB Weld comes to mind

Thanks

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I'm not sure what the design of the sign is, but two aluminum plates adhered with VHB tape are incredibly difficult to separate.

2B

I'm not sure what the design of the sign is, but two aluminum plates adhered with VHB tape are incredibly difficult to separate.

very true, a big fan of VHB, its SUPER DUCT TAPE

the oxidation on the mill finish is what concerns me, any time that VHB has been used previously it is always on a finished surface (usually baked enamel) have to think that the oxidation would play a factor in long term outdoor adhesion.

J Hill Designs

very true, a big fan of VHB, its SUPER DUCT TAPE

the oxidation on the mill finish is what concerns me, any time that VHB has been used previously it is always on a finished surface (usually baked enamel) have to think that the oxidation would play a factor in long term outdoor adhesion.

I wouldn't be too worried about oxidation playing a factor

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It's used all of the time on mill finish on huge cabinet signs, etc. Buy the right VHB and you'll be fine.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yeah, I think they have close to 40 different VHB tapes now.

The tapes are also supposed to prevent corrosion, so that should be a non-issue.

Pick up some 4941 or 5952....or call 3M and give them the details of the job and they can recommend one to you. Their tech support is incredibly helpful.