• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1604 Heater Control Board/PF encoder errors, alternately do you have a parts machine?

buzzgraphics

I've got a dead 1604 that keeps popping up pf errors upon initialization. So far we've replaced the main board, the power supply, the pf motor, the encoder and the encoder wheel, all to no avail as the problem persists. I found a schematic for this machine with voltages and after some sleuthing it appear that we're not getting proper voltage out of the heater control board (which actually happens to control power for much more than just the heaters). Sooooo.... I'm looking for a replacement heater control board. this is kind of a backup machine at this point so I'd rather not dole out another $650 for a new board, especially since I'm not totally convinced that it will fix it. Anyone got a parts machine or know a website that sells used parts for these machines? or better yet, have you had a similar problem with a positive outcome? I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The power to the PF motor comes from the Main board. Have you tried changing the PF encoder sensor? I had a customer with the same problem and the sensor was bad.

buzzgraphics

The power to the PF motor comes from the Main board. Have you tried changing the PF encoder sensor? I had a customer with the same problem and the sensor was bad.

yep. already changed it. First thing we did was wipe the encoder wheel. Then swapped the motor. then the main board. then the encoder sensor and wheel. About six months prior I had replaced the power supply. I'll have a new machine before I'm done. (Well I actually do have a new machine, I bought a 1624 to replace it). I've replaced everything in the paper feed short of grit rollers and bar, and the wires connecting the main board to the sensor and motor. I've tested the voltages and I don't seem to be getting a full 24 or 42 volts at any time in the initialization. It spikes momentarily to about 7 or so then faults. Power for this system comes from the heater control board. FWIW i'm not an electronics tech and I could (probably) be doing something wrong.

JDC

yep. already changed it. First thing we did was wipe the encoder wheel. Then swapped the motor. then the main board. then the encoder sensor and wheel. About six months prior I had replaced the power supply. I'll have a new machine before I'm done. (Well I actually do have a new machine, I bought a 1624 to replace it). I've replaced everything in the paper feed short of grit rollers and bar, and the wires connecting the main board to the sensor and motor. I've tested the voltages and I don't seem to be getting a full 24 or 42 volts at any time in the initialization. It spikes momentarily to about 7 or so then faults. Power for this system comes from the heater control board. FWIW i'm not an electronics tech and I could (probably) be doing something wrong.

Looks like I am going down the same road as you. Once we replaced the main board looks like the random errors may have something to do with the power supply any other fixes I should try before replacing that too... So far new Pf encoder, cr motor, pf motor, main board, print head, head cables.... received the e074 cr encoder errrrrr ... did you ever get yours fixed?