• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2 Pass Bad for Print Head?

cybernalin

I need to know the truth.
Is this really bad for print head.
any ideas guys
i'm currently using 508gs and DX4 printhead

billsines

Who is telling you it's not good?

A little story:

I had a black printhead go bad, Ricoh Gen4. I was told I needed to buy from the manufacturer at $3000 and schedule a tech to install at $1500. So $4500 in. I found a new one from Sign In China for $1100. I was told by my printer manufacturer I can't use that because of some settings that needed to be changed or I could damage some other electronics. Well I have been down this road a bunch of times with my other equipment so I decided to take a risk and get it. I installed it myself in 20 mins and it probably has 200 hours on it now. Runs like a top, no problems at all. Long story short, I think we get told things to keep us in the dark about these machines to keep us dependent on their techs and their prices for spare parts.

If there's one thing I've learned in business, don't just hand over some check to someone. Question everything. See if it can be done cheaper. Keep your money in your pocket, you earned it.

papabud

Lone Wolf
yes heads are made to spray ink. it doesn't care how many passes, it doesn't know, it just sprays ink. the machine has an automatic cleaner that after so many passes it cleans the head.
i dont see how passes will make it go bad, i would think the more passes the more ink used the faster it will get worn out.

AKwrapguy

I think that the number of passes doesn't matter to the print head. It's just a higher likelihood that you'll get banding in the print.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The printer is designed so that the head always receives a voltage within an acceptable range. If the voltage goes too high, a fuse will blow. So basically, there is no way to fry a head via a profile setting in the RIP. The printer has built in protections.