• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2 tatt or not 2 tatt??

Dave Drane

Now that I am older and stupid I would like to mark my skin. Last year when we went to the ISA show in Orlando and drove around seeing a tattoo parlour every block i made my mind up never to go to a lowballer tattoist. It was easy to see by their signs, the pride they had in theirv work. The only difference is that it is easier to go and get a new sign. I would love to come home this time from the states sporting a tatt, but I have no idea how to go about it. I think I will have to design my own, but is there a craft as to how it is done or would they all look the same. It is very important to me as it will be the only one i get done and I want it to be RIGHT! I have no idea where to start, but to say that since we just celebrated 38 years of marriage my wifes name would be there also. In the HOG club, they named me "Muscles" after I dropped my bike in a service station and the only people there were 2 girls who helped me get it up, so I would need Muscles & Liddy as part of the design. Not sure wether I want to give Harley a free plug, But need some other important things of my life to reflect it..?? Any ideas??:banghead:

S'N'S

As a person who is covered take my advice and think long and hard on what you want. A lot depends on where you are going to get it, as to how big it should be and do you plan on extending it later (they are addictive ) Design your own and know its the only one, not one off the wall that every other man and his dogs got. You can use photos for portraits and can design as intricate as you like. The colours will change if you have it out in the sun all the time so keep it covered, use sun screen. Over time the lines will thicken....they sort of bleed under the skin so don't use a tattooist who uses a thick outliner and don't use a real thin one either as it heals the lines will drop out. My kids names are 20years old and seen a lot of sun so there are VERY hard to read. Only problem with getting a tatt overseas is if it needs to be touched up, where do you go, most tattooists will not touch other peoples work. We have some of the best tattooist in the world right here, why not try one of them or at least check out their shops, have a chat or buy some magazines for inspiration. (If you were closer I'd give you a big box full )
PS, I presume QLD would be like Vic which has some of the strictest laws regarding hygiene of tattoo shops, when my best mate started his shop in Geelong the rules were on 4-5 pages, he showed me the latest one which was about 50 odd pages, do you know how clean & regulated those shops are in the states?
Cheers Gary

Farmboy

Just make sure if you make your own design, you save it in the proper file format. Please don't ask if they can use something off a website. ;-)

Dave Drane

Thanks everyone. I have never planned on looking at pics and saying "I will take that one" It has to be very important and have a lot of meaning to me. I will be 62 in April, and I am not worried too much about the health thing. I had a clot in my leg 2 years ago so I am no longer able to donate blood and part of "their thing" is that you have not recently been tattooed. I am worried that it has to be right. Ian, after the Letterheads trip was cancelled I had time to think, because I would have been happy for Devo to do one, but I have to design it myself, but I worry that later I would regret it. As I say, I can't just peel off some vinyl because some no hoper stuffed it up. This will be for the last years of my life.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Dave - just be careful. I have 4 tattoos and the only one I designed my self ... well I'll just say thank God it's on my ass... reputable artist and all... but he didn't follow the design I gave him and decided to "freehand" the script portion of it... looks nothing like it was supposed to...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Good luck with it Dave, I can see the point of doing something you have always wanted to do at this stage of life.
I don't have any and don't think I ever will - the only time tatts look good to me are when they are on currently employed strippers and up and coming UFC cage fighters......

CanuckSigns

I know it's the wrong side of the country, but I know a great tattoo artist in Margaret River, her name is Ebony Mellowship, she works at artful ink. I can send you a link to her portfolio if you like.

WildWestDesigns

Tats were never my thing. I could appreciate the artistry involved, but that's it.

Just be very very sure about your pick of both the design and the person that is going to put that design on you.

I noticed one other thing in this thread that discussion about the upkeep of the tat itself was mentioned, but also bare in mind that the "canvas" can stretch, bag, and sag on you which might make the design look bad as well. It might look good on a nice young tight "canvas", but fast forward to their golden years and it doesn't look good at all.

Rodi

A great Tattoo Artist is just that. You have to trust them. My wife has her arms covered and it was all done by one guy, years ago. They look great even after decades (not much sun though!), each custom designed and colored. Just as in signs, the best ones are the ones designed by the artist, who knows a lot more about practical application etc etc.

Craig Sjoquist

Well it is true Orlando has some lame signage for tattoo shops mostly cause city and county does not want them around so find ways to increase costs, but there are some great tattoo artist here, Ive seen some that I was very amazed at the detail and quality.

Hope ya find what your looking for.

ONLINE SIGN GUY

I happen to also own a Tattoo studio, when we bring in an apprentice to train, I have never brought in a person who has been tattooing in their basement or on friends, I have convinced ARTISTS to give it a shot, In ALL cases it was the first time they have picked up a machine....my point is if your a great artist on paper, canvas, computer, sculptor....you will make the very best tattooist, on the website, business cards, signage and marketing materials, it dosent read tattooist, it reads artist.

In fact when a client is at our studio trying to figure out what they wan, we never refer to it as a tattoo , we ask them what kind of piece, art or design they are looking for.

Our head artist, has a wall of his other work, when he's not tattooing, he is painting, sculpting, drawing, we have a studio full of custom art from our artists.

Find a artist that tattoos and you should get the piece you want and be very happy with it!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Far better to get a bumper sticker in lieu of a tattoo. Then, when you no longer feel as you do [and that day will come], you can scrape it off your bumper.

cajun312

A friend of mines son just missed out on a great job opportunity, his salary would have gone from $60,000 a year to $130,000, because of his ink, he has some designs on his neck that can't be hidden by a shirt.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
A friend of mines son just missed out on a great job opportunity, his salary would have gone from $60,000 a year to $130,000, because of his ink, he has some designs on his neck that can't be hidden by a shirt.

sounds like he didn't miss out on anything, why work for someone when you have to "be" somebody else....

i have three and have never regretted them as bob assumes would happen.

i think a face tat is definatly in order for you dave.....

WildWestDesigns

sounds like he didn't miss out on anything, why work for someone when you have to "be" somebody else....

Perception. Whether we like it or not, first impressions(which are solely based on what we see and think based upon that) are what clients go by as to whether or not they are going to deal with this person or not.

They might be right in their stereotyping, they may not be, but it depends on what image the client is trying to project. The higher end places have employees cover up their tats, if it can't be covered they don't get hired. They might say that the person wasn't hired for something else, but I can promise you that tat was a big factor as well.

Tats project a certain stereotype, not true for everyone, but the ones that are more along the lines of the stereotype get the most press. Some places don't even want people to remotely think that there is a chance that the person with ink fits that stereotype.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Perception. Whether we like it or not, first impressions(which are solely based on what we see and think based upon that) are what clients go by as to whether or not they are going to deal with this person or not.

They might be right in their stereotyping, they may not be, but it depends on what image the client is trying to project. The higher end places have employees cover up their tats, if it can't be covered they don't get hired. They might say that the person wasn't hired for something else, but I can promise you that tat was a big factor as well.

Tats project a certain stereotype, not true for everyone, but the ones that are more along the lines of the stereotype get the most press. Some places don't even want people to remotely think that there is a chance that the person with ink fits that stereotype.

that was pretty much understood, i still stand by my statement, he's better off....