• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

2011 Crown Vic

jdoug5170

Hi. We have been asked to print up 3 sets of Crown Vic doors to replicate our local city police cars (permission has been given) for a television production.

Have never done any wraps or partial wraps and have no real experience in doing a template by hand. I'm wondering if there is anyway to purchase just the template portion for the doors to make this easier? Or, is there a company that sells templates for a single model of car?

I'm hoping that doing this job will lead to other opportunities in the areas that we are more familiar with.

Thank you in advance. I appreciate it.

Doug

threeputt

We just finished (4) 2011 Crown Vickies for law enforcement. The cars come to us black and we wrap the doors white. Then add the specific graphics.

We never use a template. Cut yourself a chunk of IJ180v3 vinyl larger than the door, laminate it with cast laminate and stick it on there.

Sticky Signs

Ha. I just lettered up 5 crown vics yesterday for a tv show and I still have 1 more to go. Bunch of cabs and a cop car.
I don't do the designs, just print/cut and install.
Keep in mind that these graphics will most likely be used for a day or two on set and will then be removed so you don't need to use any "high quality" materials. Just make it look good long enough for the shoot. Also keep in mind that most movie cars have been repainted several times so tell them that you're not responsible for paint. You can apply a spray wax to the vehicle prior to install. Helps make the removal go faster with less chance of damaging the paint. Oh yeah, bubbles are not usually a big deal since this will most likely be used in the background. You only have to fool the camera into believing that it was "done right".

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Also note - if you happen to think it would be a good idea to remove the bump moulding from the rear doors be sure to note that Ford nicely puts a bigass 1 inch hole in the doors to make the doors easier to install at the factory. This is why all Crown Vics come with doors mouldings on the rear doors. :/

jdoug5170

thank you for the replies. Certainly some food for thought.

Currently the PD does the white vinyl base and then applies the balance in reflective cut vinyl and some elements that we print and laminate on reflective for them. They want to go to a partial printed wrap for some reason, even though they will loose the reflective element. Think I will discuss with them as I see this as maybe more difficult to line up placement more difficult.

The TV show has been sourcing the vinyl from the PD but is trying to get away from that as that is not the business the PD is in...so here we are. Trying to get the production group up and running and working with the PD also who by agreement, gets the partial wrap print and cut file for their inhouse work. Long run, don't think it is going to work as they have not been able to figure out how to print, laminate and then cut and since their cars are on a 5 year cycle, they certainly need to be laminated.

Will be talking to production again on Monday, will need to see where it goes.

Doug